Bullnose Forums

Alt belt.

I think that regulator will help you. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what regulator you may have, the note at the bottom of that advert says "F794 without LRC. F795 with LRC". And from what I remember the F795 is white.

Concerning what the LRC regulators came on, my understanding is that they were for the vehicles with little engines because the standard regulators brought the alternator in faster than the ECU could respond when a high-current load was turned on. My 460/7.5L doesn't even flinch when loads come on, but a little 2.0L does.

The LRC regulators are also often found in Lincoln/Mercury products.

A) the 100A inrush spike of the Mk-VIII's massive electric fan.

B) the load of 8 way heated electric seats.

C) hunting idle when the AC cycles in traffic.

I'm using my stock alternator pulley on the 130A 3G without chirp or squeal on startup.

I bought an L&L bracket to eliminate my dual AIR pump bracketry but I didn't use the larger included pulley (I sent it to Gary :nabble_smiley_happy:)

The LRC regulators are also often found in Lincoln/Mercury products.

A) the 100A inrush spike of the Mk-VIII's massive electric fan.

B) the load of 8 way heated electric seats.

C) hunting idle when the AC cycles in traffic.

I'm using my stock alternator pulley on the 130A 3G without chirp or squeal on startup.

I bought an L&L bracket to eliminate my dual AIR pump bracketry but I didn't use the larger included pulley (I sent it to Gary :nabble_smiley_happy:)

I'd much rather use smaller pulley if I can. I'll try that new regulator and see what happens!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd much rather use smaller pulley if I can. I'll try that new regulator and see what happens!

Check out the last few pages or so of my Sniper install thread. I have a 3G I put on mine and I talked about the LRC regulator I went with in more detail as well as the pulley ratio what I have and what is considered ideal for a street vehicle. I went into detail on this in my thread as I have a built 302 (305 cid) that has a roller cam that makes power up to 5,400 rpm and I was concerned about spinning the 3G too fast.

Check out the last few pages or so of my Sniper install thread. I have a 3G I put on mine and I talked about the LRC regulator I went with in more detail as well as the pulley ratio what I have and what is considered ideal for a street vehicle. I went into detail on this in my thread as I have a built 302 (305 cid) that has a roller cam that makes power up to 5,400 rpm and I was concerned about spinning the 3G too fast.

Can you link it to me? That sounds like an interesting read, but this forum is kind a labyrinth sometimes. I get lost easy.

Can you link it to me? That sounds like an interesting read, but this forum is kind a labyrinth sometimes. I get lost easy.

Gary beat me to it, that is the page where I start going into the math for mine. I was looking at a larger pulley to bring the pulley ratio down on mine but decided against it as I have with a 2.50" pulley a 3:1 ratio which is ideal for a street vehicle. I found out via calipers that the pulley is larger than 2.50" which will drop the ratio down some below 3:1 to 2.71:1 which is below the recommended 3:1 ratio for a street vehicle. Turn on rpm of the alternator is 1,600 rpm on mine which means with an improper pulley ratio it would never self-excite at idle if it doesn't hit 1,600 rpm alternator speed. Mine will be at 1,600 rpm alternator speed around 500 - 525 rpm engine speed, this is why I stress to people to run an alternator that has a trigger wire as I have seen vehicles run one wire alternators and never hit that speed to self-excite.

Gary beat me to it, that is the page where I start going into the math for mine. I was looking at a larger pulley to bring the pulley ratio down on mine but decided against it as I have with a 2.50" pulley a 3:1 ratio which is ideal for a street vehicle. I found out via calipers that the pulley is larger than 2.50" which will drop the ratio down some below 3:1 to 2.71:1 which is below the recommended 3:1 ratio for a street vehicle. Turn on rpm of the alternator is 1,600 rpm on mine which means with an improper pulley ratio it would never self-excite at idle if it doesn't hit 1,600 rpm alternator speed. Mine will be at 1,600 rpm alternator speed around 500 - 525 rpm engine speed, this is why I stress to people to run an alternator that has a trigger wire as I have seen vehicles run one wire alternators and never hit that speed to self-excite.

Rusty, 3G's have no need to 'self excite'

That's the purpose of the hot in run LG/R wire in the regulator plug

At a 3:1ratio the alternator is already turning 2,100 rpm with stock 700 idle

Rusty, 3G's have no need to 'self excite'

That's the purpose of the hot in run LG/R wire in the regulator plug

At a 3:1ratio the alternator is already turning 2,100 rpm with stock 700 idle

Correct, but many companies are now offering the 3G in a one wire configuration in the aftermarket just like the old GM alternators that had an excite wire and was modified into a one wire alternator.

On the ratio, that depends on mine with a 3:1 ratio I was looking at 1,920 alternator rpm @ 600 engine rpm. My actual ratio after using a caliper to measure the OD of the pulley came out closer to 2 5/8" not 2 1/2" which put me at 2.71:1 ratio and gives me a 1,600 rpm alternator speed at OE 525 rpm engine speed. 2,100 rpm alternator speed with 2.71:1 ratio like I have would be at 700 rpm engine speed how ever.

At the end of the day you dont want to turn these alternators too slow otherwise they wont charge properly but you also dont want to turn them too fast as you can over spin them in upper rpm range of your engine. They are also various statements out there of what rpm alternator speed that the 3G can handle but nothing clear cut. Last I saw was 18,000 was what most can handle but Ive seen that number as low as 15,000 rpm, I hopefully am ok with my setup at 2.71:1 ratio as im looking at 16,762 rpm @ 5500 rpm engine speed which would be my shift point and redline of 6,000 rpm engine speed would spin the alternator at 18,286. With the 3.07:1 to be precise ratio I would have had if it was a 2 1/2" pulley like I thought it was would have put me well over 20,000 rpm at that engine speed.