Bullnose Forums

Return of Code 31...

ckuske

Ok, I'm sorry to be high maintenance here, but I am having a heck of a time getting the 1-wire O2 sensor plug to come apart.

The main issue is getting the clips on each side of the plug to be pried up at the same time while I'm hanging over the passenger side fender. I get a screwdriver under one side, then rotate it to get a screwdriver under the other side and one pops out, etc. I've spent over an hour futzing with this connector and I'm about ready to just snap the clips off it, but I don't REALLY want to do that. I'd rather not reach down there ever again haha.

Any suggestions?

Clips on both sides? Yikes!

I've used small things like cotter keys to hold a clip up, things that don't have a handle and, therefore, enough weight on the other end to rotate it. Another favorite is a 1/4" male disconnect, that's just right to slide under there and hold the clip up.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm sorry to be high maintenance here, but I am having a heck of a time getting the 1-wire O2 sensor plug to come apart.

The main issue is getting the clips on each side of the plug to be pried up at the same time while I'm hanging over the passenger side fender. I get a screwdriver under one side, then rotate it to get a screwdriver under the other side and one pops out, etc. I've spent over an hour futzing with this connector and I'm about ready to just snap the clips off it, but I don't REALLY want to do that. I'd rather not reach down there ever again haha.

Any suggestions?

Try these:

Item-----------------Ford Pn-------AUVECO PN-----Motorcraft

EEC relay-----3U2Z-14S411-UEA----20172---------WPT-524

FP relay-------3U2Z-14S411-UGA---17622---------WPT-566

DS-II 3 pin---3U2Z-14S411-XXA----20841---------WPT-601

DS-II 4 pin----------------------------20844

EEC-IV test---------------------------17623

AUVECO can be ordered from Clips and Fasteners .com

I had spaced them out nicely, but Nabble shoved them back together.

Any suggestions?

I've used a tie wrap, the serrations seemed to help it stay in place on whatever I was working on.

These things can be a bugger!

Try these:

Item-----------------Ford Pn-------AUVECO PN-----Motorcraft

EEC relay-----3U2Z-14S411-UEA----20172---------WPT-524

FP relay-------3U2Z-14S411-UGA---17622---------WPT-566

DS-II 3 pin---3U2Z-14S411-XXA----20841---------WPT-601

DS-II 4 pin----------------------------20844

EEC-IV test---------------------------17623

AUVECO can be ordered from Clips and Fasteners .com

I had spaced them out nicely, but Nabble shoved them back together.

I forgot about Auveco, thanks! They are always a good place to look.

Thanks, Dane! Good suggestion, I'll try that today.

Got the harness out!

The O2 sensor was the last issue, and I had bought one of these on Amazon before Dane posted his suggestion. I'll remember that for the future if I lose this baby:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002STTPW

Night and day difference. I'll post pictures of the harness tomorrow. I have counted at least 4 broken or bare wires, with at least 3 having the distinct possibility of them shorting each other out...

Got the harness out!

The O2 sensor was the last issue, and I had bought one of these on Amazon before Dane posted his suggestion. I'll remember that for the future if I lose this baby:

Night and day difference. I'll post pictures of the harness tomorrow. I have counted at least 4 broken or bare wires, with at least 3 having the distinct possibility of them shorting each other out...

That's a cool tool! :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad you got it out and are finding what was surely causing the problems.

Got the harness out!

That is a slick tool! Lisle makes some handy stuff! Glad you got it apart.

Got the harness out!

Here is a picture of the worst part. I got tied up with things other than the truck today, so I'll have to chip away at it in little bits. There are several wires to replace.

I'm going to start by unwrapping the whole thing though to check out the whole length of the harness.

IMG_8533.jpg.d9c42e1e1266217bf0a6d791518d710d.jpg

Here is a picture of the worst part. I got tied up with things other than the truck today, so I'll have to chip away at it in little bits. There are several wires to replace.

I'm going to start by unwrapping the whole thing though to check out the whole length of the harness.

You are right, there are several wires to fix. And you are right to open up the whole harness to see if there are other problems.

Then I'd lay it out on a work bench or table and set something heavy on the connectors so it'll stay in roughly a straight line. That way you'll know how long the replacement wires need to be and you can cut the bad sections out and solder in new ones. But you'll need to cut several inches away from the bad section in order to find copper that's good enough to solder to.