Bullnose Forums

Return of Code 31...

ckuske

Here is a picture of the worst part. I got tied up with things other than the truck today, so I'll have to chip away at it in little bits. There are several wires to replace.

I'm going to start by unwrapping the whole thing though to check out the whole length of the harness.

From here it looks like someone has already wrapped and soldered a splice in that white wire at the center.

I generally dislike this work.

I helps if you can stagger th splices so you don't end up with one huge wad in the harness.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From here it looks like someone has already wrapped and soldered a splice in that white wire at the center.

I generally dislike this work.

I helps if you can stagger th splices so you don't end up with one huge wad in the harness.

I missed the "repair", although I'm not sure it was very effective.

But fully agree about staggering the joints. :nabble_smiley_good:

Here is a picture of the worst part. I got tied up with things other than the truck today, so I'll have to chip away at it in little bits. There are several wires to replace.

I'm going to start by unwrapping the whole thing though to check out the whole length of the harness.

If you need specific colors let me know, I have a lot of salvaged wire from both Ford and Chrysler products.

If you need specific colors let me know, I have a lot of salvaged wire from both Ford and Chrysler products.

Thanks! I will send you a message.

Looks like 8 wires to be replaced (just looking for breaks, missing insulation, etc)

So far the rest of the harness looks ok, only the exposed areas look to have all the damage.

Just curious, was the entire harness wrapped originally? It’s hard to believe Ford would have left all those wires exposed at the rear of the engine.

Thanks! I will send you a message.

Looks like 8 wires to be replaced (just looking for breaks, missing insulation, etc)

So far the rest of the harness looks ok, only the exposed areas look to have all the damage.

Just curious, was the entire harness wrapped originally? It’s hard to believe Ford would have left all those wires exposed at the rear of the engine.

Harness should be wrapped, but like I said it looks like someone has already been there because Ford doesn't make splices like that.

Harness should be wrapped, but like I said it looks like someone has already been there because Ford doesn't make splices like that.

Perhaps they "fixed" something when I got the engine rebuilt (this was 20+ years ago now, but it would explain a lot)

"they"...... there's always a 'they' :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

True story. I have found several things on the truck where "they" did things that were just "bad", things that I would never do or leave the way they were.

In this instance, the "they" was the engine shop that rebuilt my 302. The engine itself seems fine still, but they took forever. I was too young to figure it out at the time, but after working on this EEC-IV system, my guess is they spent a month troubleshooting it when they put everything back together. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Hi Bill,

I sent you a message through your profile. Not sure if it went through though, but I know there's a bug in that part of the site. If you didn't, let me know how I can get ahold of you. Thanks!

True story. I have found several things on the truck where "they" did things that were just "bad", things that I would never do or leave the way they were.

In this instance, the "they" was the engine shop that rebuilt my 302. The engine itself seems fine still, but they took forever. I was too young to figure it out at the time, but after working on this EEC-IV system, my guess is they spent a month troubleshooting it when they put everything back together. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I rarely find an instance where it's easier to un'fix' something than it would have been to fix it right the first time around. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

That said, if this truck doesn't die before I do I'm sure there'll be more than one person cursing my innovative engineering! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: