Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

• 2 weeks later...

I would take that NP435 over the T18 all day long. Excellent upgrade.

Just waiting on the seller to give me the final OK on parts & price and address of where I am heading to pick it up this weekend.

If his profile is good I have about a 6+ hour drive 1 way.

The wife is coming for the ride and on the way back we will stop over night then next day stopping off at Myrtle Beach SC to see friends for a few hours before the final leg home.

I got a head cold the last few days and last night when ever I laid down for bed I had a coughing fit so slept in my recliner on and off. 1 of my up times I checked on the Ebay order of the clock for the truck.

Said it was in the mail box so at 3am out I go and sure enough there it was.

Have not opened it yet but when I go to install being I will have the dash some what apart I want to look into under dash lighting and see about installing something as I have no light inside the cab at all.

Between the transmission and the clock / dash lights the project is not done yet :nabble_anim_crazy:

Dave ----

Just waiting on the seller to give me the final OK on parts & price and address of where I am heading to pick it up this weekend.

If his profile is good I have about a 6+ hour drive 1 way.

The wife is coming for the ride and on the way back we will stop over night then next day stopping off at Myrtle Beach SC to see friends for a few hours before the final leg home.

I got a head cold the last few days and last night when ever I laid down for bed I had a coughing fit so slept in my recliner on and off. 1 of my up times I checked on the Ebay order of the clock for the truck.

Said it was in the mail box so at 3am out I go and sure enough there it was.

Have not opened it yet but when I go to install being I will have the dash some what apart I want to look into under dash lighting and see about installing something as I have no light inside the cab at all.

Between the transmission and the clock / dash lights the project is not done yet :nabble_anim_crazy:

Dave ----

I seem to remember my 1982 under dash light wiring setup being a little different than the 86 setup I pulled for my current truck, but they were still basically the same. The harness for the under dash lights runs along the top of the dash, and was separate from the main wiring harness.

I seem to remember my 1982 under dash light wiring setup being a little different than the 86 setup I pulled for my current truck, but they were still basically the same. The harness for the under dash lights runs along the top of the dash, and was separate from the main wiring harness.

That is where I hear it is and maybe should have thought of this before putting the dash pad on :nabble_smiley_uh:

I hope to find the plug up around where the clock plugs in.

Also some of the wiring I seen posted shows the same wires doing both the clock & under dash lights?

I just need to find door on / off power as I plan to run different lights or a maybe a LED strip or rope lighting, just need something. I will know the light(s) when I see them type of thing :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave ----

That is where I hear it is and maybe should have thought of this before putting the dash pad on :nabble_smiley_uh:

I hope to find the plug up around where the clock plugs in.

Also some of the wiring I seen posted shows the same wires doing both the clock & under dash lights?

I just need to find door on / off power as I plan to run different lights or a maybe a LED strip or rope lighting, just need something. I will know the light(s) when I see them type of thing :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave ----

Yep, the light group harness also includes the clock wiring. If I remember correctly, it then splits into two harnesses, one for the clock, and one for the under dash lights.

Yep, the light group harness also includes the clock wiring. If I remember correctly, it then splits into two harnesses, one for the clock, and one for the under dash lights.

I don't have the split harness, the clock comes with a pin out of the wires on it and I am sure once I find the plug on the truck I can make my own harness.

Heck I had to figure out the wiring for the HVAC & Radio and they were cut when they removed the radio and HVAC control.

Dave ----

I don't have the split harness, the clock comes with a pin out of the wires on it and I am sure once I find the plug on the truck I can make my own harness.

Heck I had to figure out the wiring for the HVAC & Radio and they were cut when they removed the radio and HVAC control.

Dave ----

If you need any pictures of the harnesses let me know, my dash pad isn't screwed down so I can pull it off pretty easily (it's in poor shape so no risk of damage). My 12/79 truck had the connectors on the main dash bar behind the HVAC controls, so I'm sure yours does too.

Interesting that I have heard several guys say they vastly prefer the NP435... what is better about it?

I drove one (briefly) in my dad’s ‘68 F250 and finding 3rd gear was about like picking a lock with a bobby pin 😖. We removed it and put in the T18 out of his rust cancer ‘66 F100. It was still a bit notchy but much easier to manage once you were acquainted with it.

Anything worn and abused will be that way, I’m just curious why the fondness for the New Process gear box?

Interesting that I have heard several guys say they vastly prefer the NP435... what is better about it?

I drove one (briefly) in my dad’s ‘68 F250 and finding 3rd gear was about like picking a lock with a bobby pin 😖. We removed it and put in the T18 out of his rust cancer ‘66 F100. It was still a bit notchy but much easier to manage once you were acquainted with it.

Anything worn and abused will be that way, I’m just curious why the fondness for the New Process gear box?

That is how my 4th gear is and when down shifting from 4th to 3rd it grinds if going to fast even double clutching.

The NP, T18 & T19 will all shift "notchy" but should not need a bobby pin to find a gear LOL

What I think on the NP435 is it has lower gear ratios than the other T's.

Granny is lower and when used for off roading and low range is great for crawing over things.

2nd gear is also lower and being you drive all 3 like a 3 speed transmission makes for easier starts from a stop, at least I hope so in my case.

I would have been happy with any of the 3 or better a ZF, found one close but was for a newer truck and no way to hook up our cable speedo, as long as it shifts like it should.

The price was right $200 for the 1988 NP435 trany w/bell housing, hydro pedal assy. slip yoke and maybe a drive shaft. He could not find the clutch fork or slave but maybe will by the time I get there to pick it up?

I was also looking at the Advance Adaptor's gear splitter but there is like a month or 2 wait for them to build the units and I don't want to wait that long. Beside I was going to get it before the banker found out and ask for forgiveness :nabble_smiley_evil: but that's not going to happen ... right now LOL

Dave ----

If you need any pictures of the harnesses let me know, my dash pad isn't screwed down so I can pull it off pretty easily (it's in poor shape so no risk of damage). My 12/79 truck had the connectors on the main dash bar behind the HVAC controls, so I'm sure yours does too.

I think mine is also in the same area from what I remember when working on the dash assy.

I just don't want to pull apart a lot because you stand a chance of breaking stuff.

Thanks for the offer.

Dave ----