Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Excellent! I plan to check them out for my trucks as well. No way will I accept the market value for them.

Good luck on the brakes. :nabble_smiley_good:

We have "the good, the bad and the ugly"!

The good - we now have brakes! with my home made pressure bleeder I got a little air out of the rear wheels on each side, nothing up front. Even before I started the truck I know it felt better, took it for a spin around the yard and felt great.

The bad - speedo has a stripped drive gear in the transmission and trying to figure what part numbers are needed made my head hurt so I asked for help.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Speedo-Gear-help-td43805.html

The ugly - looked deeper into the rear tank fuel gauge and why it stopped working, it is a new sending unit and only had gas to it for maybe a month. Any way when I short the yellow wire to ground the gauge moves so it looks like the sender or float went south.

Because the front tank gauge works and I just filled both tanks I will run the rear out of gas and then drop it down some to get access to the top of the tank.

The ugly part as there is no room with the bed in place to get to the top of the tank and I am not removing it.

Now that I have brakes and plate I may take it to the food store later, wife went away and left me with nothing to eat. I also need stuff for work lunches.

Dave ----

We have "the good, the bad and the ugly"!

The good - we now have brakes! with my home made pressure bleeder I got a little air out of the rear wheels on each side, nothing up front. Even before I started the truck I know it felt better, took it for a spin around the yard and felt great.

The bad - speedo has a stripped drive gear in the transmission and trying to figure what part numbers are needed made my head hurt so I asked for help.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Speedo-Gear-help-td43805.html

The ugly - looked deeper into the rear tank fuel gauge and why it stopped working, it is a new sending unit and only had gas to it for maybe a month. Any way when I short the yellow wire to ground the gauge moves so it looks like the sender or float went south.

Because the front tank gauge works and I just filled both tanks I will run the rear out of gas and then drop it down some to get access to the top of the tank.

The ugly part as there is no room with the bed in place to get to the top of the tank and I am not removing it.

Now that I have brakes and plate I may take it to the food store later, wife went away and left me with nothing to eat. I also need stuff for work lunches.

Dave ----

Dave - Glad you got the brakes working well. Obviously that's very important - especially on a truck you'd put so much work and money into.

The speedo we addressed on the other thread.

As for the gauge, or more correctly the sender, it is hard to believe how poor the ones we are getting really are. They don't last for even a year or so any more. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Dave - Glad you got the brakes working well. Obviously that's very important - especially on a truck you'd put so much work and money into.

The speedo we addressed on the other thread.

As for the gauge, or more correctly the sender, it is hard to believe how poor the ones we are getting really are. They don't last for even a year or so any more. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Brakes are nice if you want to stop :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I even took the truck out in the dark for food.

Next big thing is the darting left / right.

Thank you for the help on the speedo gears.

I don't think they have had fuel on them for a month. I replaced them because I had the tanks off, did not know if they worked or not. I think they had plastic floats too.

Dave ----

Truck will be fully legal the next time out.

I had insurance, email on phone when I went to the show last weekend.

Got the cards in the mail and found out I have Hagerty classic car insurance.

If the truck gets wiped out I get $11,000 at this time but can up that when I get the truck appraised.

They also let you drive the car / truck not just on weekends to shows or to get it worked on, they want you show if off! $500 deductible and runs under $500 for the year.

So with insurance cards in hand I hit the DMV on the way home and picked up a plate.

I got lucky as there was only 1 other person there and was out is 20 min. and that was BS'ing with the lady that was from CT.

Plan is to work on the brakes over the weekend to get the pedal to be firm.

Dave ----

Is there an annual mileage limit on that policy? Last one I checked into you if you used it as a daily driver you were pretty much having to go to standard insurance coverage. I would love classic coverage that actually allows me to use the vehicle.

This is what my company has in their policy:

Used only for exhibitions, club activities, and occasional pleasure/leisure (not primary transportation) AND

Stored in a fully enclosed and locked structure

If the truck gets wiped out I get $11,000 at this time but can up that when I get the truck appraised.

They also let you drive the car / truck not just on weekends to shows or to get it worked on, they want you show if off! $500 deductible and runs under $500 for the year.

So with insurance cards in hand I hit the DMV on the way home and picked up a plate.

I got lucky as there was only 1 other person there and was out is 20 min. and that was BS'ing with the lady that was from CT.

Dave ----

Is there an annual mileage limit on that policy? Last one I checked into you if you used it as a daily driver you were pretty much having to go to standard insurance coverage. I would love classic coverage that actually allows me to use the vehicle.

Used only for exhibitions, club activities, and occasional pleasure/leisure (not primary transportation) AND

I was lucky I got out of work kind of early and stopped by the shop that I got the tires from to see if they can do the alignment on my truck with twin I beams & kingpins.

I asked about the caster & camber if off how they could adjust and they said you cant with out bending and he could not do that.

But he did say he would need to throw it on the rack to see if they were even out of spec and he was right on that.

I asked when he could take it and said 9am tomorrow, told him I would be at work at 3am but could leave it off tonight.

On that he said bring it by now and he would see what he could do.

Did I say I was lucky? He took it right in and did his thing.

He side the caster & camber was within spec and was surprised on a truck that old.

He had to adjust toe as I was off a little using a tape and 2 straight edges and centered the wheel.

He said he could feel the new kingpins were tight and should loosen as I use the truck.

Also the box has a high spot in the center as it should and could be adding to why the wheel will not return all the way to center but it does most of the way.

I could tell on the ride back home it no longer darts left / right but could have a little play in the box so need to check on that.

I am also use to the R&P of my Durango and wife's Subie and that could be why I think it has play.

I plan to take it to work next week a day or two.

Dave ----

Dave ----

No limit on mileage or when you can use it.

As they say they want you to use and show it off.

Look into Hagerty

Dave ----<

Dave ----

No limit on mileage or when you can use it.

As they say they want you to use and show it off.

Look into Hagerty

Dave ----

On the steering box, mark where the adjusting screw is and then back if off ever so slightly to see if the high spot goes away. It will increase the slop, but might restore the feel.

Glad you got it aligned. And glad it was close. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the steering box, mark where the adjusting screw is and then back if off ever so slightly to see if the high spot goes away. It will increase the slop, but might restore the feel.

I first need to check if the box has a lot of play as I have not done that yet.

I know all boxes have a high spot when centered to help hold it there I just need to look at it closer.

Thing is I only remember when I drive it and have not done it much before the alignment.

Dave ----

Glad you got it aligned. And glad it was close. :nabble_smiley_good:

I first need to check if the box has a lot of play as I have not done that yet.

I know all boxes have a high spot when centered to help hold it there I just need to look at it closer.

Thing is I only remember when I drive it and have not done it much before the alignment.

Dave ----

My experience has been that tightening the adjustment screw has been for naught. If you tighten it, even slightly, you can remove some of the slop in the box. But in doing so you will remove the feel and the ability for the steering to self-center.

In other words, if you find slop it is time for a new box.