Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

I know Cory ran grounds to each of his new lights, I did not and they are grounded.

I only ran them to the frame. My taillights were originally grounded through the bed...and good grief what an awful system that was...lol. However, it did indeed work, even on an old rusted out thing like mine. I don't think my bed would be a good ground now though, so I just went straight to the frame. My new taillights are working great btw...nice and bright!

I know Cory ran grounds to each of his new lights, I did not and they are grounded.

I only ran them to the frame. My taillights were originally grounded through the bed...and good grief what an awful system that was...lol. However, it did indeed work, even on an old rusted out thing like mine. I don't think my bed would be a good ground now though, so I just went straight to the frame. My new taillights are working great btw...nice and bright!

I went with the same lights and I do like the brake / turn how bright they are but would like the running light a little brighter. I also used the alum. silver duct tape on the inside where the stock ones were painted white to help make it brighter.

Dave ----

Little set back, well maybe a big set back today :nabble_smiley_cry:

I was all set to install the new vent window seals into the replacements I picked up years ago and install them in the doors.

When I pull the old seals I saw they were a little different from the new ones (clue 1) but never gave it another thought.

Had a hell of a time installing the seal, about 90% in and I look at the old seal and see I installed it wrong so had to fix that.

The next fight was trying to install the frame back in the door.

First just trying to get it in the door was hell but do able (clue 2).

Once in I could not swing the frame into place (clue 3). I even pulled the glass back out because I thought the upper hinge was hanging it up.

When that did not work I then moved to see if I could install the other frame I had not touched yet.

Never made it pass trying to get it in the door as it was not going to go (clue 3) WTH?

That is when I pulled out the 2 old frames to see what was going on?

The new ones are longer by 5" and why I had a hard time just getting them in the doors and could not swing it into place. So thinking I could cut the 5" off I tank a closer look and see something else.

The frame the channel seal sits in is wider by 1/2"!

20191013_120439.jpg.065325070f846173090fb1a755d92b6a.jpg

20191013_120456.jpg.464a142080b160aa3d494da34dedc09d.jpg

So till I can come up with a fix the doors sit empty!

So I looked at the dash pads and dash cover to see what dash & cover fit the best and see what I need to do to install in the truck.

I took the edging off the pad I was trying to fix to see if the cover would fix better. It kind of dose but when installed there is a gap between the cover & dash frame that the dash pad fills in. So that pad I was looking to fix is now mostly junk.

I was not in the mood to mount the cover to the pad at this time.

With the pad / cover placed in the truck I them fitted the bezels to see what tabs need fixing. Looks like the bezels & pad use the same screws so will need to repair a few tabs.

Being I had the bezels out I found my silver paint pen and started painting the raised parts that should be silver. I went outside the lines in a few places so need to touch up with a black marker and should be ok.

Wife and I had plans to go out for 21 years being married, so called it a day.

Dave ----

Dave ----

Congrat's on the anniversary!!!!

As for the truck, what a day it was! Wow! What could go wrong did.

So, where did the vent windows come from? How could they be 5" longer?

On the dash cover, I've installed them while the pad was installed to the dash. But I'm not going to do that next time as it is so hard to ensure you get the cover down against the pad to let the adhesive set. Instead I'm going to do it while the two parts are on the work table.

Anyway, you did make some progress with the painting. so it wasn't all for naught. Hang in there!

Dave ----

Congrat's on the anniversary!!!!

As for the truck, what a day it was! Wow! What could go wrong did.

So, where did the vent windows come from? How could they be 5" longer?

On the dash cover, I've installed them while the pad was installed to the dash. But I'm not going to do that next time as it is so hard to ensure you get the cover down against the pad to let the adhesive set. Instead I'm going to do it while the two parts are on the work table.

Anyway, you did make some progress with the painting. so it wasn't all for naught. Hang in there!

Those are bricknose vent windows. They are longer and wider than the bullnose variants. There was no way those were going to work without the bricknose door glass as well, it's narrower to account for the larger arm on the vent window. If you pick up some bricknose door glass from the junkyard, then you could use those vent windows.

Those are bricknose vent windows. They are longer and wider than the bullnose variants. There was no way those were going to work without the bricknose door glass as well, it's narrower to account for the larger arm on the vent window. If you pick up some bricknose door glass from the junkyard, then you could use those vent windows.

1987-1991 vent window glass is the same as 1980-1986 vent windows but the frame may differ slightly but the glass is interchangeable. 1992-1997 vent windows are squared off on the leading edge of the window requiring squared off glass. Either complete assembly will fit in the truck. I kind of wish I went with the new version in mine simply for cost and availability.

92-97 window

vent.png.316fba88456f5be5e08954094e2f5aa3.png

How could they be 5" longer?
That's the glass run channel that drops inside the door - it's longer on later trucks to keep the glass in-place better, so it's an upgrade. No need to cut it off since the door is the same shape, so it will fit into an early door exactly as well as a later one.

How could they be 5" longer?
That's the glass run channel that drops inside the door - it's longer on later trucks to keep the glass in-place better, so it's an upgrade. No need to cut it off since the door is the same shape, so it will fit into an early door exactly as well as a later one.

I tried for hours to get that 5" longer glass divider into place in the doors and there is NO WAY it fits. I had to force it just to get it in the door.

The bottom hit the bottom of the door, the part that sticks out of the "wing" hits on the front where the hinges bolt up and the tab that bolts to the door panel side gets hung up on the regulator.

If it was shorter the bolt tab would drop down just a little to clear the regulator and may fit up into place.

Then as pointed out the divider is wider so I would need the glass that fits that but would it fit is the question?

Being the channel is longer is the glass longer?

Is the regulators different between the trucks?

Being you have to cut the divider shorter to fit it into place what will hat do to the glass from going down all the way?

From what I can tell of the parts I have the wing parts are the same from the pivot frame that pop rivets to the divider.

BTW the wing frame is not part of the divider and I need them also.

So unless someone has all the parts to send my way, I will have to cut the divider shorter (little at a time) to get it into place then fit the rest to see if it all works.

I will be looking for the shorter & skinner dividers.

I may have a line on a set from a member on the other forum I will keep you posted.

Dave ----

...there is NO WAY it fits.

The bottom hit the bottom of the door...

IDK what to tell you except: the door is the same size, shape, & construction from '80-96/7, other than a few things that DON'T affect the windows like:

-the sill button hole

-the small contour at the bottom rear

-the ventilation louvers

-the '94-up wiring harness hole diameter

-the '95-up side impact beam

-the mounting holes for the optional mirrors

...the divider is wider so I would need the glass that fits that but would it fit is the question?

Being the channel is longer is the glass longer?

Is the regulators different between the trucks?

Check out the pics I posted in your other thread.