Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

The PCM controls / regulates the ALT. out put and I do not know where it is or how to test it.
This site now requires an actual e-mail & login to access, but it's still free, and they're not spamming me (yet):

http://www.bbbind.com/tsb-wiring-diagrams-database/

If it's a ~'02~11 Ford, the PCM just raises & lowers the "sense" voltage going into the VR to tweak the output. But without the PCM (true B+ on that circuit), the VR just behaves like an older VR and works like you'd expect. I put a later PCM-controlled alternator on my '98 MGM for a while (just switched 2 wires in the VR connector) and it worked the way the car's original "dumb" alternator was supposed to (while the original was being rebuilt). So you can bypass the PCM to diagnose that circuit; and you should make sure the case ground & output terminals are clean & shiny; if it still doesn't work, the new alt.

There is only 2 wires or 1 wire and 1 cable.

The cable is the out put and goes to the battery so a no brainer there.

This 1 wire is maybe a 14 or 12 gauge wire and as a guess must tell the PCM, where ever that is, to raise or lower the out put of the ALT.

Thing is I don't know if it works by grounding that wire thru the PCM or what?

I tried to Google this for my 02 Dodge Durango but all I found was for 2000 with a 4.7 mine is a 5.9, and all the wires were different colors.

I am going to throw a battery in it as it is at least 5 years old and went dead just sitting in the garage.

This should give me enough juice to get it to the dealer so it does not need to be towed.

They would most likely put a battery in it any way.

Dave ----

Well installed a new battery in the Dodge DD and the volts came from 13.5, low side of ok, to 14 volts so I call that good and no trip at this time to the dealer. I have no clue how old that battery was but I have been in NC summer heat for 4 years now, cold & heat kill batteries.

With that out of the way I went to the next town over for paint and all of down town stores are closed for "Mule Days" so no paint. I have about a qt of red and after I prep the fenders, tail gate & running boards I will paint the fenders & gate and if I have enough paint will hit the boards.

I also need to find the running board bolts as they need to get painted also.

If I don't paint them there is a lot more that needs to be done putting the truck together.

Dave ----

Well installed a new battery in the Dodge DD and the volts came from 13.5, low side of ok, to 14 volts so I call that good and no trip at this time to the dealer. I have no clue how old that battery was but I have been in NC summer heat for 4 years now, cold & heat kill batteries.

With that out of the way I went to the next town over for paint and all of down town stores are closed for "Mule Days" so no paint. I have about a qt of red and after I prep the fenders, tail gate & running boards I will paint the fenders & gate and if I have enough paint will hit the boards.

I also need to find the running board bolts as they need to get painted also.

If I don't paint them there is a lot more that needs to be done putting the truck together.

Dave ----

Mule Days? I think I like the sound of "Pioneer Day" better, which is what we have. :nabble_smiley_wink:

There's ALWAYS more to be done. So many layers to these onions! Good luck on getting some painted and some installed today. :nabble_waving_orig:

You have to study & analyze the wiring diagrams to try to figure it out. If you can find a factory EVTM, it sometimes explains the circuit in that much detail.

Yea and that makes my head hurt :nabble_anim_crazy:

With the new battery it is now charging at 14 volts and I am happy with that.

If I feel or see it not charging again I will let the dealer deal with it as I need it or a loaner to get to work at 3am. Wife dose not want to take or pick me up from work and I don't know if I would be able to bring the work truck, trailer truck, home every night till mine was fixed.

Dave ----

You have to study & analyze the wiring diagrams to try to figure it out. If you can find a factory EVTM, it sometimes explains the circuit in that much detail.

Yea and that makes my head hurt :nabble_anim_crazy:

With the new battery it is now charging at 14 volts and I am happy with that.

If I feel or see it not charging again I will let the dealer deal with it as I need it or a loaner to get to work at 3am. Wife dose not want to take or pick me up from work and I don't know if I would be able to bring the work truck, trailer truck, home every night till mine was fixed.

Dave ----

My grand son give me his flu so I never made it out to the garage yesterday or today and that just killed me as I wanted to get the last of the red done.

I dread going back to work right after vacation, not felling 100% and they say low to mid 90's for the week :nabble_smiley_cry:

Maybe during the week if I get out early I can get more paint to be on the safe side I have enough for next weekend.

Dave ----

My grand son give me his flu so I never made it out to the garage yesterday or today and that just killed me as I wanted to get the last of the red done.

I dread going back to work right after vacation, not felling 100% and they say low to mid 90's for the week :nabble_smiley_cry:

Maybe during the week if I get out early I can get more paint to be on the safe side I have enough for next weekend.

Dave ----

Bummer! That's a shame. But, it is the journey, not the destination. So take it easy and get well so you can do a good job.

Bummer! That's a shame. But, it is the journey, not the destination. So take it easy and get well so you can do a good job.

I got home from work early, went in for 1am, but it was to hot when I got home, got to 100* here to day so did not even try getting out to the garage. It is to be cooler this weekend and will get the rest of the painting done.

I ordered the Grote tail lights and the Butyl tape seal for the glass and all should be here next week but I have a lot of work that can be done once the painting is done.

Dave ----

I got home from work early, went in for 1am, but it was to hot when I got home, got to 100* here to day so did not even try getting out to the garage. It is to be cooler this weekend and will get the rest of the painting done.

I ordered the Grote tail lights and the Butyl tape seal for the glass and all should be here next week but I have a lot of work that can be done once the painting is done.

Dave ----

The cool down here was dramatic. I'm glad I waited to unload Blue from the show as it is now NICE outside. Hope you get the same change as well.

I'm glad I waited to unload Blue from the show as it is now NICE outside.

Need help? :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Sure do! Someone LOADED that back seat of the truck. I hadn't opened the door to it since getting it home, but was placing my jump-start battery pack in there yesterday. Opened the door and did a double-take! Man, there's LOT'S of stuff in there. :nabble_smiley_wink: