Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Yes, I meant the vents.

As for work, I remember those days. I LOVE retirement!

Go ahead rub it in :nabble_anim_blbl:

I been meaning to check with the banker (wife) to see when retirement can happen but hope in 7 to 8 years or when my Home Land security has to be renewed and I think that is 5 years.

If I need to work them last 2 or 3 years then not do LP gas in the winter or go to the ports for cement pick up, we will see when the time comes.

Dave ----

Yes, I meant the vents.

As for work, I remember those days. I LOVE retirement!

Go ahead rub it in :nabble_anim_blbl:

I been meaning to check with the banker (wife) to see when retirement can happen but hope in 7 to 8 years or when my Home Land security has to be renewed and I think that is 5 years.

If I need to work them last 2 or 3 years then not do LP gas in the winter or go to the ports for cement pick up, we will see when the time comes.

Dave ----

I got out of work early so I stopped and ordered 2 cans of the SEM textured paint. Should be in sometime tomorrow they say.

I have the 4 kick panels and when I finish the repair to the dash pad I want to put texture on it before painting it.

I also asked if there was something to repair / fill the cracks on the dash pad then add the texture and paint.

His answer was NO or he would have used it to fix a few of his dash pads.

At this point I need to look over the pad I started to fix and hope I can remember what I used up to that point because I can remember off the top of my had at this time..

Dave ----

I got out of work early so I stopped and ordered 2 cans of the SEM textured paint. Should be in sometime tomorrow they say.

I have the 4 kick panels and when I finish the repair to the dash pad I want to put texture on it before painting it.

I also asked if there was something to repair / fill the cracks on the dash pad then add the texture and paint.

His answer was NO or he would have used it to fix a few of his dash pads.

At this point I need to look over the pad I started to fix and hope I can remember what I used up to that point because I can remember off the top of my had at this time..

Dave ----

I got to looking and found this on the SEM site

https://www.semproducts.com/products/repair/interior-repair

I am going to go with the texture spray and paint over it.

The other product I will have to look into more for the dash pad fix.

Dave ----

edit: just saw the video and it needs heat to make it work so if you don't have a heat gun you might not be able to use this.

I got to looking and found this on the SEM site

https://www.semproducts.com/products/repair/interior-repair

I am going to go with the texture spray and paint over it.

The other product I will have to look into more for the dash pad fix.

Dave ----

edit: just saw the video and it needs heat to make it work so if you don't have a heat gun you might not be able to use this.

Dave - My worry about the repair product is that much of the vinyl on our dashes has been damaged by the UV from the sun. So just fixing what's cracked now may not be the end of the cracking.

Anyway, glad you got the texture and can't wait to see how it works. :nabble_anim_jump:

Dave - My worry about the repair product is that much of the vinyl on our dashes has been damaged by the UV from the sun. So just fixing what's cracked now may not be the end of the cracking.

Anyway, glad you got the texture and can't wait to see how it works. :nabble_anim_jump:

Well we never know till we try right? LOL

I just don't like using a heat gun to et the SEM repair putty to set.

I have to look over the pad I started to repair to see if I can remember what I used so far.

I want to say I used seam sealer but I had a big hole where the speaker and don't remember what the "filler" was.

I may use this one to install the cover on and the other pad that is in better shape so thinking if I can fill the cracks use the SEM textured paint and then paint to see how it turns out.

I will post what I do and the out come.

Dave ----

Well we never know till we try right? LOL

I just don't like using a heat gun to et the SEM repair putty to set.

I have to look over the pad I started to repair to see if I can remember what I used so far.

I want to say I used seam sealer but I had a big hole where the speaker and don't remember what the "filler" was.

I may use this one to install the cover on and the other pad that is in better shape so thinking if I can fill the cracks use the SEM textured paint and then paint to see how it turns out.

I will post what I do and the out come.

Dave ----

During the week I ordered and picked up the SEM textured spray. I should have ask how much before asking for 2 cans, $75 and change it better work!

I used JB Weld on the bumpers last week so I sanded it down so I can either get them wrapped or I can paint them when the time comes.

Being I have the textured paint I took a look at the dash I started the repair on a wile back. After looking it over I saw that I did use expanding foam to fill the speaker hole, and latex in the cracks and covered it all with seam sealer. Well I was not happy on how it turned out. The foam expanded more and was to high and the cracks opened up.

I sanded the high spot on the speaker area and at the cracks so I could see what I was working with, that is how I saw how I tried to fix it before.

I dug out the cracks and made them deeper as I felt the filler I used before did not go deep enough to bite and keep from cracking, the latex I also think was the wrong product to use.

I also think the flexing of the dash also had something to do with it cracking so when working on it I made the center a little higher this way when level it would push the cracks closed after they were filled.

I used brushable seam sealer and a putty knife and forced it into the cracks. I did see later that the sealer sunk into the cracks more so I will need to take down any high spots and add more sealer to bring them up level, more to come.

I finished cleaning the old paint off the radio bezel with the old brake fluid. It worked pretty good, washed off with water and when dry looks like it will need to be painted black again to look good.

I also found it was broken in a few places but think I can glue it and not show up.

With that turning out good I then started on the gauge bezel with the old brake fluid. I was worried about the light covers across the top but they seam to be ok with the brake fluid I hope it will remove the paint on them.

I did see the wiper / light windows don't have the pictures in them but they are still covered in some paint still. So it is soaking in brake fluid till I get back to it in a few days.

I then did what I hope will be the last of the body work.

I was able to work the dent out of the fender to the point where I hope the primer and spot putty will make it smooth.

I also used the spot putty on the hood to take care of a spot I did not like. When I get back on it I will wet sand the 2 spots and if not good will make them good before paint.

Dave ----

During the week I ordered and picked up the SEM textured spray. I should have ask how much before asking for 2 cans, $75 and change it better work!

I used JB Weld on the bumpers last week so I sanded it down so I can either get them wrapped or I can paint them when the time comes.

Being I have the textured paint I took a look at the dash I started the repair on a wile back. After looking it over I saw that I did use expanding foam to fill the speaker hole, and latex in the cracks and covered it all with seam sealer. Well I was not happy on how it turned out. The foam expanded more and was to high and the cracks opened up.

I sanded the high spot on the speaker area and at the cracks so I could see what I was working with, that is how I saw how I tried to fix it before.

I dug out the cracks and made them deeper as I felt the filler I used before did not go deep enough to bite and keep from cracking, the latex I also think was the wrong product to use.

I also think the flexing of the dash also had something to do with it cracking so when working on it I made the center a little higher this way when level it would push the cracks closed after they were filled.

I used brushable seam sealer and a putty knife and forced it into the cracks. I did see later that the sealer sunk into the cracks more so I will need to take down any high spots and add more sealer to bring them up level, more to come.

I finished cleaning the old paint off the radio bezel with the old brake fluid. It worked pretty good, washed off with water and when dry looks like it will need to be painted black again to look good.

I also found it was broken in a few places but think I can glue it and not show up.

With that turning out good I then started on the gauge bezel with the old brake fluid. I was worried about the light covers across the top but they seam to be ok with the brake fluid I hope it will remove the paint on them.

I did see the wiper / light windows don't have the pictures in them but they are still covered in some paint still. So it is soaking in brake fluid till I get back to it in a few days.

I then did what I hope will be the last of the body work.

I was able to work the dent out of the fender to the point where I hope the primer and spot putty will make it smooth.

I also used the spot putty on the hood to take care of a spot I did not like. When I get back on it I will wet sand the 2 spots and if not good will make them good before paint.

Dave ----

Wow, you had a long day!

So the texture is like $38/can? Yipes! I hope one can will do a lot.

On the dash, when you say "latex" do you mean a latex caulk? And you think you should have used seam sealer instead? Is your seam sealer sandable? You'll sand it smooth, re-apply, sand, etc until it is level? Then the texture goes on?

And the brake fluid doesn't appear to hurt the plastic on the bezels, just takes the wood grain finish off?

Wow, you had a long day!

On the dash, when you say "latex" do you mean a latex caulk? And you think you should have used seam sealer instead? Is your seam sealer sandable? You'll sand it smooth, re-apply, sand, etc until it is level? Then the texture goes on?

And the brake fluid doesn't appear to hurt the plastic on the bezels, just takes the wood grain finish off?

Yep about $38 a can. As for 1 can I have the dash to do and the 4 kick panels, maybe some other trim parts and maybe the storage tray that goes at the top of the windshield because it is alum. right now.

Latex - yes in caulk as I thought it would have worked and it may have if the cracks were deeper. When I dug it out it was not vary thick, was sitting on top of the foam. I removed some of the foam to make the filler thicker thinking it may help.

I was able to use a DA air sander on the seam sealer that was on it and I used the same stuff this time but that sealer has been on guessing a year or better so it has time to setup LOL.

Yes sand build up and sand some more till level then texture and then SEM color coat.

All this was after hour and a half of weed whacking today.

I cut the grass yesterday for 3 hours and that was after a full day at work.

Dave ----

Wow, you had a long day!

Yep about $38 a can. As for 1 can I have the dash to do and the 4 kick panels, maybe some other trim parts and maybe the storage tray that goes at the top of the windshield because it is alum. right now.

Latex - yes in caulk as I thought it would have worked and it may have if the cracks were deeper. When I dug it out it was not vary thick, was sitting on top of the foam. I removed some of the foam to make the filler thicker thinking it may help.

I was able to use a DA air sander on the seam sealer that was on it and I used the same stuff this time but that sealer has been on guessing a year or better so it has time to setup LOL.

Yes sand build up and sand some more till level then texture and then SEM color coat.

All this was after hour and a half of weed whacking today.

I cut the grass yesterday for 3 hours and that was after a full day at work.

Dave ----

LOL! Night before last Janey and I were awakened by a loud brushing sound, but we couldn't find it. Yesterday morning it was obvious - a LARGE limb had fallen out of the tree behind the house, missing everything. So I spent quite some time with my sawzall cutting it up and taking it out back to the burn pile.

Then it was a lot of weed whacking in areas of the yard I can't get the mower into, and whacking tall grass is SLOOOOOW work. Then finish the mowing that I'd started on Wednesday, before getting the mower stuck.

And after that I was TOAST! So I applaud you being able to get all the truck work done after all the weed whacking, mowing, and WORK! (My impression of Maynard G. Krebs.)

Anyway, I guess the jury is still out on whether seam sealer is the thing to use. I/we await your assessment.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL! Night before last Janey and I were awakened by a loud brushing sound, but we couldn't find it. Yesterday morning it was obvious - a LARGE limb had fallen out of the tree behind the house, missing everything. So I spent quite some time with my sawzall cutting it up and taking it out back to the burn pile.

Then it was a lot of weed whacking in areas of the yard I can't get the mower into, and whacking tall grass is SLOOOOOW work. Then finish the mowing that I'd started on Wednesday, before getting the mower stuck.

And after that I was TOAST! So I applaud you being able to get all the truck work done after all the weed whacking, mowing, and WORK! (My impression of Maynard G. Krebs.)

Anyway, I guess the jury is still out on whether seam sealer is the thing to use. I/we await your assessment.

Customers equipment broke yesterday wile I had a load (26 tons of powdered cement) on my work truck and they could not get it fixed for today so I had it off.

Not wanting to waste a day off I hit the garage at 6am and it is to be the hottest day of the year so far.

I gave the gauge bezel another coat of brake fluid as it still has some paint stuck to it and hit it thru out the day.

Found a bucket added water a little dish soap and some wet/dry 320 & 400 grit sand paper to sand the spot putty spots on the front fender and hood I did last time working on it.

Front fender came out great hood not so great. After wet sanding half the hood I did not like what I was seeing.

Broke out the DA air sander with 220 grit paper to get the whole hood where I wanted and then hit it with spot putty.

Hit the bezel with fluid again and took a little break for food.

Putty was dry so I wet sanded it and am happy the way it turned out and is ready for primer as is the front fender and a spot on 1 rear fender.

When checking the rear fender I see marks that need to be fixed before primer again.

I wet sanded the running boards, they had been treated for the rust a wile back and are now ready for primer.

I rinsed the gauge bezel off with water and I see it is also broken like the radio one is. Think both can be glued back together, then a light coat of black satin paint and should be good for a driver but I want to use the wood bezels to match the wheel.

I wanted to get primer on the hood, fenders and running boards but it was 100*f by 12pm and I had enough of the heat.

Maybe I can get out tomorrow to get everything in primer?

Dave ----