Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

I'm almost 2 hours south of Raleigh . . . and we're burning up :)

It is not a Ford part but a Dorman part #03006 used to make cables shorter.

I cant get a picture to post at this time but if you Google that part number you should see what I have to use.

Don't know why as I am sure the cables I used were from this short bed truck other than the axle cables and I think they were all the same.

yep heat wave! I got 98* at my house and 95* in Raleigh @ 6pm!

Wife said I left my garage side door open before I went to work this morning so I went in to check if everything was still there and checked the temp, it was over 100*

Dave ----

It is not a Ford part but a Dorman part #03006 used to make cables shorter.

I cant get a picture to post at this time but if you Google that part number you should see what I have to use.

Don't know why as I am sure the cables I used were from this short bed truck other than the axle cables and I think they were all the same.

yep heat wave! I got 98* at my house and 95* in Raleigh @ 6pm!

Wife said I left my garage side door open before I went to work this morning so I went in to check if everything was still there and checked the temp, it was over 100*

Dave ----

Here's the Dorman part:

03006-007.jpg.eda4d5fa20c25eec660b2b7656d74e88.jpg

But I don't see anything quite like that in the MPC, which is shown below. What am I missing?

parking-brakes.thumb.jpg.b447eec99897557132837a60323984f5.jpg

Here's the Dorman part:

But I don't see anything quite like that in the MPC, which is shown below. What am I missing?

Gary, you will not see it on any Ford parts pages as it is a Band-Aid for a cable that is too long, maybe from stretching?

It has been a bit since I did the Ebrake cables and I thought the front cable was different for the different wheel base trucks?

And if that is the case I would think using the long bed cable would be too long and that Dorman part would not do anything.

I do remember when I replaced the axle cables the springs were way too long.

When installed they were bent in a way they hit the drums and made noise.

I also think that if I was to try and use the Ebrake I would of had coil bind on that long spring and would not apply the brake. To fix that I cut the springs shorter.

When I got it all put together the pedal goes to the floor. That is when I used that Dorman part, you can feel it works a little but will not pass safety so I need to fix this someday.

Dave ----

Gary, you will not see it on any Ford parts pages as it is a Band-Aid for a cable that is too long, maybe from stretching?

It has been a bit since I did the Ebrake cables and I thought the front cable was different for the different wheel base trucks?

And if that is the case I would think using the long bed cable would be too long and that Dorman part would not do anything.

I do remember when I replaced the axle cables the springs were way too long.

When installed they were bent in a way they hit the drums and made noise.

I also think that if I was to try and use the Ebrake I would of had coil bind on that long spring and would not apply the brake. To fix that I cut the springs shorter.

When I got it all put together the pedal goes to the floor. That is when I used that Dorman part, you can feel it works a little but will not pass safety so I need to fix this someday.

Dave ----

Dave - Your truck hates you. Want me to head that way? :nabble_smiley_evil:

No, really, you probably have the wrong cables. The system is kinda crude, but it works pretty well when the right parts are used.

Dave - Your truck hates you. Want me to head that way? :nabble_smiley_evil:

No, really, you probably have the wrong cables. The system is kinda crude, but it works pretty well when the right parts are used.

Don't grease up that trailer ball just yet :nabble_smiley_grin:

I will have to look deeper into why it does not work.

I may way to replace both new cables for the axle because of the springs.

Then look over both front cables to make sure I have the right one installed.

IIRC I also installed a new adjuster part from LMC when I was doing the cables.

Thing is I can run and move the truck with out Ebrake working so may hold off on this.

Could not do that with leaking freeze plugs or vacuum leak at the manifold to head.

Dave ----

Don't grease up that trailer ball just yet :nabble_smiley_grin:

I will have to look deeper into why it does not work.

I may way to replace both new cables for the axle because of the springs.

Then look over both front cables to make sure I have the right one installed.

IIRC I also installed a new adjuster part from LMC when I was doing the cables.

Thing is I can run and move the truck with out Ebrake working so may hold off on this.

Could not do that with leaking freeze plugs or vacuum leak at the manifold to head.

Dave ----

Shuckydarns! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, the ebrake can be later down the road, or after it has been on the road to be more precise. You'll get it sorted, I'm sure. And with the light at the end of the tunnel looming ever brighter you'll have the impetus to make it happen. Hang in there! :nabble_smiley_good:

Inset "B" (the tension limiter/equalizer assembly that I posted) is virtually the same thing.

If "B" is already adjusted to the max and the pedal goes to the floor and the Ebrake hardly holds my thinking is the cable is too long so lets make it shorter!

That is what that Dorman parts does, makes cables shorter.

It was better but still would not pass safety if I did not like it.

Going to bed now up at 12am who knows when I will be home and have to work Saturday think up at 2am.

Between this heat and work they are killing me!

Dave ----

...my thinking is the cable is too long...
Unless the cable was swapped or the truck was modified, the cable can't be too long. They don't stretch significantly. It's more likely that there's a problem inside the drums - usually: lack of lubrication, rust, dirt/friction material residue, wear, &/or incorrect assembly. Read this & the NEXT two dozen captions:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/895328/thumbnail/brakedrum.jpg

...my thinking is the cable is too long...
Unless the cable was swapped or the truck was modified, the cable can't be too long. They don't stretch significantly. It's more likely that there's a problem inside the drums - usually: lack of lubrication, rust, dirt/friction material residue, wear, &/or incorrect assembly. Read this & the NEXT two dozen captions:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/895328/thumbnail/brakedrum.jpg

Negative with a problem inside the drum other than the shoes not in the right place but I am sure I looked it up to make sure before putting it together.

Everything is new out back for the brakes: shoes, springs & adjusters, cables, drums and had to do the wheel cly twice as one was leaking before I even drove the truck, just sitting. The replacements were not the same manf. so I ordered both again and replaced both, if was leaking now long before the other did was my thinking.

Backing plates had no grooving and I used a little anti seize on the backing plate & adjuster as it does not get hard like white grease does.

20160530_131321.jpg.4f8d3cccfc9ee1bd6f7904dfd0d1d7d1.jpg

Someone had the 2 long shoes on 1 side and the 2 short on the other, 1 cable was gone and the other not hooked up at the adjuster. I think I just replace the drums for good measure being everything else was new.

You can see in the picture of the new cable and how the spring was before I cut some to make it shorter so it would not rub the inside of the drums.

This just came to me now :nabble_anim_confused:

IIRC they were the right part number I ordered but wonder if they were in the wrong package?

If they were for a bigger dia. drum that would be why the spring did what it did?

The outside of the cable fits as it should but if the spring side was longer to reach the arm on the shoe it would then pull the inner part back farther at the adjuster, adjuster not taken up all the way and the pedal may then not go to the floor?

Why didn't I think of this when I was first working on them?

Great now I got to find other cables and hope they are right.

Dave ----