Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

If you can put a reflect barrier 1" or more below the roof it'll help a bunch.

I was even thinking the troughs you have to put in between the rafters for air flow to the ridge vent before you install the insulation would help.

But if I am going to go thru that much work I would do the insulation at the same time. And we all know what a fun job working with fiber glass insulation is :nabble_smiley_cry:

Got out to the garage by 5am and by 7am the truck no longer has a vacuum leak from the intake to head not sealing. First thing was to check for coolant under the truck, all good there so on to the intake leak.

The plan was to loosen the intake and lower it and tighten it back up reusing the new / old gasket.

The whole time not letting the EFI exh. manifolds drop down.

The intake dropped 1/8" on the front where it was leaking. When tightening everything up one of the lower rear exh. / intake manifold bolts did not feel right, hard to see as it is under the manifolds.

Found the washer did not catch the flange of the exh. manifold, manifold needed to go to the rear more.

We know the drill loosen everything backup, move manifold rearward and tighten everything back up checking as we go.

All looking good it's time for the real test, running! Once fuel got to the carb it fired right up and ran smooth. Pulled it out side to let it run but hear an exh. leak, Y pipe not sealing to the front manifold.

Took up on the nuts fired back up and no more exh. leak.

Once up to temp the idle is a little high at about 1000 RPM but when I try and lower it the motor wants to surge. Yes I did check for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner & covering the carb and all good.

The carb has been rebuilt but I have only run the truck to move it in & out of the garage and with todays fuel and it evaporates there maybe crud in the bowl.

I have been running it off a gas can on the fender well, don't want gas going bad in the tanks before I get it on the road, so I may add a little Sea Foam to the can to see what that does.

Up next is to see if I can get the bumpers a little smoother before I see if the last person on my list will wrap them. If he cant I will look to paint them. Think I also seen a powder coating place not far and may see if they can do them and how much.

Dave ----

I like the sytrofoam troughs that channel air to the ridge vent, and installed them on my shop. But the new fiberglass isn't nearly as bad as the old stuff. Anyway, I agree that you might as well do it right while you are doing it.

As for the leaks, yippee! That's major progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

Surging in my experience can be caused by a lean condition. Have you adjusted the idle air mix? Or, what about ignition timing? If you have manifold vacuum plumbed to the vacuum advance, that could cause surging. Perhaps pull and plug that line and see if the surge goes away?

I like the sytrofoam troughs that channel air to the ridge vent, and installed them on my shop. But the new fiberglass isn't nearly as bad as the old stuff. Anyway, I agree that you might as well do it right while you are doing it.

Surging in my experience can be caused by a lean condition. Have you adjusted the idle air mix? Or, what about ignition timing? If you have manifold vacuum plumbed to the vacuum advance, that could cause surging. Perhaps pull and plug that line and see if the surge goes away?

I did try to adjust the idle mix and it did not do much, think the idle speed is to high and why.

When I lower the speed it surges and stalls before I can do much adjusting.

I have not checked timing since I got the truck and cant as someone wanted my SnapOn dial back timing

light and a bunch of hand drills more then I did. The vacuum is to ported on the carb.

This was all ok till the manifolds were pulled for the freeze plugs. The carb was left on the intake so I did not have to deal with gaskets that don't come with the intake / exh. gasket.

Laying the intake face down then up right to clean the gasket off it I am sure has done something inside the carb as this was fine before.

It runs so I can move it around as needed so I am happy and will look into it when the time comes down the road. Maybe it will heal :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave ----

I did try to adjust the idle mix and it did not do much, think the idle speed is to high and why.

When I lower the speed it surges and stalls before I can do much adjusting.

I have not checked timing since I got the truck and cant as someone wanted my SnapOn dial back timing

light and a bunch of hand drills more then I did. The vacuum is to ported on the carb.

This was all ok till the manifolds were pulled for the freeze plugs. The carb was left on the intake so I did not have to deal with gaskets that don't come with the intake / exh. gasket.

Laying the intake face down then up right to clean the gasket off it I am sure has done something inside the carb as this was fine before.

It runs so I can move it around as needed so I am happy and will look into it when the time comes down the road. Maybe it will heal :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dave ----

Put some time in on the bumpers. Pulled the welder out to fill in some nicks / holes left from when I did the welding that I was told would show up if the bumpers were wrapped.

Also the rear bumper had low spots where the bolts were so I filled them in with weld.

Then the fun job of grinding all the weld spots. The rear still had low spots so I took a large socket placed over the bolts welded to the back side and gave it a few whacks with the 5lb hammer and that made them better.

I still have a few "nicks" and thinking to use JB Weld to fill them because to weld them & grind I think would cause more issues then fix.

Also when working the postal person brought mea box. My Ebay wiper governor showed up. The switch plugs into it but did not try the unit to the truck yet. I also have no wiper motor installed so cant test as far as I know at this time.

Being 94* in the garage and now 1:30pm I ran the broom around and called it a day.

Later will take a trip for the JB Weld and if I have any energy left will get it on the bumpers to set up over night.

Dave ----

Being 94* in the garage and now 1:30pm I ran the broom around and called it a day.

I know the feeling. I want to do some work on the truck but mother nature is pretty fired up right now and for the rest of the holiday weekend. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Weather.jpg.4fb4b28fd24aa3179ddbfa3fee76d558.jpg

I know the feeling. I want to do some work on the truck but mother nature is pretty fired up right now and for the rest of the holiday weekend. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Weather.jpg

Yep that's what I hear for up here in NC Raleigh area too and I got to work out in that heat when off loading for an hour.

The heat is 1 reason why I got out to the garage at 5am the other is I could not sleep from about 3:30. That is about my normal get up time, between 12 & 3am, and the dogs started moving around so got up to let them out as I do every morning when I get up.

Have to see how I feel tomorrow if I want to go back out and do more work before the heat comes for the day.

Dave ----

Weather.jpg

Yep that's what I hear for up here in NC Raleigh area too and I got to work out in that heat when off loading for an hour.

The heat is 1 reason why I got out to the garage at 5am the other is I could not sleep from about 3:30. That is about my normal get up time, between 12 & 3am, and the dogs started moving around so got up to let them out as I do every morning when I get up.

Have to see how I feel tomorrow if I want to go back out and do more work before the heat comes for the day.

Dave ----

We are in a monsoon. It has rained most days recently, and is supposed to do so again tonight. But, it isn't nearly as hot as it normally would have been. In fact, when my brother and I got rained on today while securing the '95 front end on the trailer it was refreshing. :nabble_smiley_wink:

We are in a monsoon. It has rained most days recently, and is supposed to do so again tonight. But, it isn't nearly as hot as it normally would have been. In fact, when my brother and I got rained on today while securing the '95 front end on the trailer it was refreshing. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well 1 more step backwards and I did not even have to touch the truck!

I was on the patio and see something on the table? A closer look it is the part to shorten a cable, like a Ebrake cable from my truck.

Ask the wife where it came from she said she had to pull it from 1 of the dogs and put it on the table.

It is all bent, must have hit it with the tractor cutting the grass, don't know if I can reuse it.

The step back: the Ebrake would not hold so I bought it and had to mod it to work to shorten the cable. Think I need another as the pedal goes to the floor and still not holding.

It most of popped off last week when I had it in the yard when I found the vacuum leak. All I did was pull the brake knob and the pedal pops up. I think it released faster than the wheel cables could pull the rest of the cable tight and the slack made the part pop off.

I did not notice if it felt different Saturday when I had it out, remember it does not hold too good.

Now I have to figure how I can get this fixed and the brake to hold.

The truck hates me Dave ----

I was on the patio and see something on the table? A closer look it is the part to shorten a cable, like a Ebrake cable from my truck.

Ask the wife where it came from she said she had to pull it from 1 of the dogs and put it on the table.

It is all bent, must have hit it with the tractor cutting the grass, don't know if I can reuse it.

The step back: the Ebrake would not hold so I bought it and had to mod it to work to shorten the cable. Think I need another as the pedal goes to the floor and still not holding.

It most of popped off last week when I had it in the yard when I found the vacuum leak. All I did was pull the brake knob and the pedal pops up. I think it released faster than the wheel cables could pull the rest of the cable tight and the slack made the part pop off.

I did not notice if it felt different Saturday when I had it out, remember it does not hold too good.

Are you talking about the tension limiter?

https://supermotors.net/getfile/280849/thumbnail/brake-limiter.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/74201/thumbnail/equalizer.jpg

With some effort, it CAN be re-set. I don't remember exactly how, but I managed to pull it back through. And I think I still have that "new" one in the first pic.

Ok, I just got the trailer freed up. I can be there soon. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously though, can you show us a pic of the part?

Weather.jpg

Dave ----

I'm almost 2 hours south of Raleigh . . . and we're burning up :)