Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Dave - We didn't change the centrifugal advance. What we changed was the initial and the vacuum. We backed the initial timing down from 18 to 14 to kill the kicking back on starting.

Out early from work and being I took the truck to work the transmission oil was good for draining so I could refill with Red Line MT-90 oil.

While the trans was draining I adjusted the rear brakes as the peddle feels low but it also will not pump up so I will need to look into it more.

I then looked into why the washer pump did not work as it tested good on the bench. Had power on the wire but with no help it was hard to test the ground side.

I cleaned up the 2 posts on the pump with sand paper and plugged the wire back in and it now works, yea me!

Next was the oil leak on the motor. It is not as bad but still leaking. It looks to be coming at the left front corner of the pan where it meets the timing cover.

I cant remember if I used any RTV in that area? The bolts are tight so if it gets worst I may have to drop the pan or pull the motor to do that?

I then refilled the transmission with RL MT-90 took almost a full gallon. 

I did not take the truck for a test but just moving it from garage to garage it seamed to go into gears easier.

The old oil looked to have really fine gold flakes hope the non-GL4 oil did not hurt the transmission to bad.

​​​​​​​Dave ----

• 3 weeks later...

Out early from work and being I took the truck to work the transmission oil was good for draining so I could refill with Red Line MT-90 oil.

While the trans was draining I adjusted the rear brakes as the peddle feels low but it also will not pump up so I will need to look into it more.

I then looked into why the washer pump did not work as it tested good on the bench. Had power on the wire but with no help it was hard to test the ground side.

I cleaned up the 2 posts on the pump with sand paper and plugged the wire back in and it now works, yea me!

Next was the oil leak on the motor. It is not as bad but still leaking. It looks to be coming at the left front corner of the pan where it meets the timing cover.

I cant remember if I used any RTV in that area? The bolts are tight so if it gets worst I may have to drop the pan or pull the motor to do that?

I then refilled the transmission with RL MT-90 took almost a full gallon. 

I did not take the truck for a test but just moving it from garage to garage it seamed to go into gears easier.

The old oil looked to have really fine gold flakes hope the non-GL4 oil did not hurt the transmission to bad.

​​​​​​​Dave ----

Any one have a Love - Hate relationship with their truck?

Well maybe hate is to harsh lets call it Love - Dislike at times?

I am in the dislike part right now.

Over the last 2 weeks when I got to start it I get a clunk from the solenoid.

Just 1 clunk not a bunch of clicks like you might get with a poor battery connection.

I have no clue what truck this came from or if it is a Ford part or not?

Think this week end I will hit NAPA and pick up their top of the line solenoid.

And yes all the cables & connections are only a little over year old so dont think they are a cause.

The other dislike - the AC stopped working again!

It was in the low 80's yesterday, going to upper 80's later this week, when I got out of work and no AC.

I was so pissed when I got home i just parked the truck.

Well my son took a look at it and (I hope) found the high side fitting going into the condenser was hand tight and blew the charge & dye all over that area.

He said it still had some pressure so he tighten the fitting, put some charge in and checked with a bubble mix for leaks.

He ran out of 134 but is was blowing cool air but not cold so I gave him the credit card to get more 134 so will see how this goes.

I also have a gas leak at the rear filler hose when filling I need to track down & fix.

The oil leak is a lot less now that the oil pan is tight LOL

Dave ----

Any one have a Love - Hate relationship with their truck?

Well maybe hate is to harsh lets call it Love - Dislike at times?

I am in the dislike part right now.

Over the last 2 weeks when I got to start it I get a clunk from the solenoid.

Just 1 clunk not a bunch of clicks like you might get with a poor battery connection.

I have no clue what truck this came from or if it is a Ford part or not?

Think this week end I will hit NAPA and pick up their top of the line solenoid.

And yes all the cables & connections are only a little over year old so dont think they are a cause.

The other dislike - the AC stopped working again!

It was in the low 80's yesterday, going to upper 80's later this week, when I got out of work and no AC.

I was so pissed when I got home i just parked the truck.

Well my son took a look at it and (I hope) found the high side fitting going into the condenser was hand tight and blew the charge & dye all over that area.

He said it still had some pressure so he tighten the fitting, put some charge in and checked with a bubble mix for leaks.

He ran out of 134 but is was blowing cool air but not cold so I gave him the credit card to get more 134 so will see how this goes.

I also have a gas leak at the rear filler hose when filling I need to track down & fix.

The oil leak is a lot less now that the oil pan is tight LOL

Dave ----

I think I understand the love/dislike thing. I found yet another puddle under Big Blue today. In fact, two of them - brake fluid and ATF from the power steering. A day or two ago it was puddles of diff lube and of coolant. This is getting old. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, from one tired guy to another, HANG IN THERE!

I think I understand the love/dislike thing. I found yet another puddle under Big Blue today. In fact, two of them - brake fluid and ATF from the power steering. A day or two ago it was puddles of diff lube and of coolant. This is getting old. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So, from one tired guy to another, HANG IN THERE!

Someone asked which I like better, the two Fords I have or the Chevy, I said whichever one isn’t giving me any trouble!

It does get old sometimes.

Someone asked which I like better, the two Fords I have or the Chevy, I said whichever one isn’t giving me any trouble!

It does get old sometimes.

I just asked that question in my project thread. Do ya get tired of working on them. Good to see I'm not only one. I need to get mine to a garage to check AC - I know very little about AC. I kow my panel vents are not working, but it blows out floor on AC settings, so I figure cab is small enough I can cool truck from floor vents or on defrost. Other than that, mine is mostly small refinements. But I'd just like to take it out and show it off at a cruise in or something. It's kinda worthy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just asked that question in my project thread. Do ya get tired of working on them. Good to see I'm not only one. I need to get mine to a garage to check AC - I know very little about AC. I kow my panel vents are not working, but it blows out floor on AC settings, so I figure cab is small enough I can cool truck from floor vents or on defrost. Other than that, mine is mostly small refinements. But I'd just like to take it out and show it off at a cruise in or something. It's kinda worthy.

Yesterday after the trash run I washed the truck and waxed it for the first time since paint in Oct of 2019.

I did the wash / wax for a show next weekend and will not have time during the week with work, it took 7+ hours to do.

Also the shift knob when my son drove he would pull if off.

It is has splines and pushes on (NP435) and a PO pulled it off and really messed it up.

It looked like someone filled it with something and pushed it back on but did not stay.

I looked for a thread on knob with the right pattern but they were all 1/2" threads and the shaft was 5/8" and no easy way to turn it down and the stick was not coming out to do so.

I was able to run a 9/16" NF die down the shaft and being the knob was kind of messed up I filled it with JB Weld and let it sit over night.

To hold the JBW from running out cracks I had to run masking tape around the area as a forum I was going to fill. I did this after it was running down the knob LOL and made a big mess.

Today with it hard I drilled a small hole down through the center and screwed in a screw with the head ground off so I could chuck it up in the drill press.

A poor man's lath spin the knob and I used different grit sand paper to get it back in to shape.

Drilled it out and taped it 9/16" NF and threads on the stick.

A little paint, used RTV black to glue the pattern back in, it was loose and rattled, and its good as new and I can un-screw it when needed.

Dave ----

Yesterday after the trash run I washed the truck and waxed it for the first time since paint in Oct of 2019.

I did the wash / wax for a show next weekend and will not have time during the week with work, it took 7+ hours to do.

Also the shift knob when my son drove he would pull if off.

It is has splines and pushes on (NP435) and a PO pulled it off and really messed it up.

It looked like someone filled it with something and pushed it back on but did not stay.

I looked for a thread on knob with the right pattern but they were all 1/2" threads and the shaft was 5/8" and no easy way to turn it down and the stick was not coming out to do so.

I was able to run a 9/16" NF die down the shaft and being the knob was kind of messed up I filled it with JB Weld and let it sit over night.

To hold the JBW from running out cracks I had to run masking tape around the area as a forum I was going to fill. I did this after it was running down the knob LOL and made a big mess.

Today with it hard I drilled a small hole down through the center and screwed in a screw with the head ground off so I could chuck it up in the drill press.

A poor man's lath spin the knob and I used different grit sand paper to get it back in to shape.

Drilled it out and taped it 9/16" NF and threads on the stick.

A little paint, used RTV black to glue the pattern back in, it was loose and rattled, and its good as new and I can un-screw it when needed.

Dave ----

I spent almost that much time washing, compounding, and waxing Big Blue recently, and was sore for days! Hope you are in better shape than I am and it won't hurt for you.

On the shift knob, looks like you got it worked out. Not sure I would have thought to use the drill press. Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

I spent almost that much time washing, compounding, and waxing Big Blue recently, and was sore for days! Hope you are in better shape than I am and it won't hurt for you.

On the shift knob, looks like you got it worked out. Not sure I would have thought to use the drill press. Well done! :nabble_anim_claps:

I was off last week, DMV put my lic. on hold because of my medical card, so 1 day I cut the grass (3 hr).

Next day pressure washed the house (I was sore after that holding my arms above my head).

3rd day I edged the long walk to the front door from drive way, the long drive way with the large parking area by the house and the rear patio. I took 2 trailer loads, Garden tractor & trailer, to the back 40 so that was a lot of edging and loading into the trailer. Yes was sore again.

So after the wash & wax I was sore and DONE!

Son wanted my to hang as he was going to work on his car. Told him sorry going in house to die LOL

Almost happy to go back to work as I dont work that hard:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Dave ----

I was off last week, DMV put my lic. on hold because of my medical card, so 1 day I cut the grass (3 hr).

Next day pressure washed the house (I was sore after that holding my arms above my head).

3rd day I edged the long walk to the front door from drive way, the long drive way with the large parking area by the house and the rear patio. I took 2 trailer loads, Garden tractor & trailer, to the back 40 so that was a lot of edging and loading into the trailer. Yes was sore again.

So after the wash & wax I was sore and DONE!

Son wanted my to hang as he was going to work on his car. Told him sorry going in house to die LOL

Almost happy to go back to work as I dont work that hard:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Dave ----

Ouch! That sounds like a whole lot of HURT! :nabble_smiley_oh:

But glad you are back to work. :nabble_anim_claps:

Ouch! That sounds like a whole lot of HURT! :nabble_smiley_oh:

But glad you are back to work. :nabble_anim_claps:

Went to my first judged show today.

Stock class with 3 trucks, a Lighting and a 92 extn cab.

20210515_144915.jpg.6a577fac795bfa1dd6e014ea460a5eed.jpg

Not bad for a driver, the others don't get driven much.

Dave. ----