Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Yeah, I fully understand the desire to drive it after so many years of working on it!

And you are right, that tranny is heavy. I can carry it, but lifting it up into place ain't gonna happen at my age.

You are a better man than me, I used the cherry picker to get it out of my Durango as I felt it was too heavy to lift by myself.

I had help getting it in.

Dave ----

I'd think centered is centered? :nabble_anim_confused:

I mean, the visor mounting bosses are stamped into the roof, aren't they?

True but if it is mounted to high on the glass then it can block them from being used when the mirror is in place.

It just came to me a member has 2 trucks I can check less than 5 miles I can get measurements from.

If I can remember I will do that.

Dave ----

Yeah, I fully understand the desire to drive it after so many years of working on it!

And you are right, that tranny is heavy. I can carry it, but lifting it up into place ain't gonna happen at my age.

You are a better man than me, I used the cherry picker to get it out of my Durango as I felt it was too heavy to lift by myself.

I had help getting it in.

Dave ----

I can lift and move a ZF5 from the floor to a skate. From what I've read the NP435 comes in around 125 lbs, but the ZF5 is around 175#.

I can lift and move a ZF5 from the floor to a skate. From what I've read the NP435 comes in around 125 lbs, but the ZF5 is around 175#.

Lately when I start the truck I get a little belt chirp from the ALT and been to lazy to tighten it up well that changed yesterday.

I got around to tighting the ALT belt and in doing so found the top bolt a little loose.

It would not tighten up, it goes in from the front because of the EFI manifolds so found a lock washer & nut to get it tight.

I also found the PS belt a little loose so tighten it up too.

In doing so I found something that will be an issue when I install the AC compressor.

1 of the small mounting plates missing. I heard something a while back hit the bottom of the truck now I know what it was. Thing is I don't remember where this happened so cant go looking for it

I adjusted the idle mix as it has been idling a little ruff. About a half turn rich and it is smooth again.

Also checked the PCV to see if it is working as I have a "milk shake" under the fill cap and in the dip stick tube. It is working as it should so need to check the Tstat to see if it is getting up to temp or not.

Dave ----

Lately when I start the truck I get a little belt chirp from the ALT and been to lazy to tighten it up well that changed yesterday.

I got around to tighting the ALT belt and in doing so found the top bolt a little loose.

It would not tighten up, it goes in from the front because of the EFI manifolds so found a lock washer & nut to get it tight.

I also found the PS belt a little loose so tighten it up too.

In doing so I found something that will be an issue when I install the AC compressor.

1 of the small mounting plates missing. I heard something a while back hit the bottom of the truck now I know what it was. Thing is I don't remember where this happened so cant go looking for it

I adjusted the idle mix as it has been idling a little ruff. About a half turn rich and it is smooth again.

Also checked the PCV to see if it is working as I have a "milk shake" under the fill cap and in the dip stick tube. It is working as it should so need to check the Tstat to see if it is getting up to temp or not.

Dave ----

So many layers on the totally-taken-apart onion. Lots of little things to deal with.

On the mounting plate, do you know which piece? And is this your layout?

integral-ac-300-six-1980-82_orig.thumb.jpg.9a2c3da8cdd546d8dec877aeb959e7c6.jpg

So many layers on the totally-taken-apart onion. Lots of little things to deal with.

Man that is the truth on the onion! When I nut & bolted the truck I did not even think of the little plates on the AC bracket :nabble_smiley_cry:

That is the wrong picture as my setup is for the 83 or 84 setup IIRC think it is this one.

integral-ac-300-six-1983-86_orig.jpg.743c472b8746209511f45a6da181900c.jpg

Part 2888 or 19D896 I do have one I can use as a pattern to make one if I have to.

I also see the hose support 19B890 that I do not have that might be nice but it is that plate bracket I need more to hold the compressor.

The compressor also has what Ford calls manifolds that I for got the part numbers for.

I need to look into getting the AC working before it get too hot here.

Thanks

Dave ----

Man that is the truth on the onion! When I nut & bolted the truck I did not even think of the little plates on the AC bracket :nabble_smiley_cry:

That is the wrong picture as my setup is for the 83 or 84 setup IIRC think it is this one.

Part 2888 or 19D896 I do have one I can use as a pattern to make one if I have to.

I also see the hose support 19B890 that I do not have that might be nice but it is that plate bracket I need more to hold the compressor.

The compressor also has what Ford calls manifolds that I for got the part numbers for.

I need to look into getting the AC working before it get too hot here.

Thanks

Dave ----

Ok, lost one of the 2888/19D896's. Maybe someone has one.

Ok, lost one of the 2888/19D896's. Maybe someone has one.

Think I will remove the 1 I still have and see if the welder at work has a piece of scrap I can use to make a new one.

Being it is a flat plate with holes and a slot it cant be that hard to make just some time is all.

Unless someone does have an extra they would like to sell?

Then again based on the picture and the years / models that use that setup if I can ever get my butt to JY or 2, I might find one along with the compressor manifolds I need to hook the hoses to the compressor.

Thanks.

Dave ----

• 4 weeks later...

Think I will remove the 1 I still have and see if the welder at work has a piece of scrap I can use to make a new one.

Being it is a flat plate with holes and a slot it cant be that hard to make just some time is all.

Unless someone does have an extra they would like to sell?

Then again based on the picture and the years / models that use that setup if I can ever get my butt to JY or 2, I might find one along with the compressor manifolds I need to hook the hoses to the compressor.

Thanks.

Dave ----

Did some work to the "project" today.

Moved the Javelin back to the house garage so I could be close to my tools and not worry if I made a mess on the floor.

I picked up a heater bypass valve to stop hot air coming out the vents or when the MAX AC is on.

Cutting the heater hoses and installing the valve was the easy part of the whole job.

Had a heck of a time trying to get the vacuum hose for the engine bay to inside but after an hour it was inside.

Then pulled the dash apart to hook the hose to the HVAC control and where the real trouble started.

I did not have the early control as mine was gone when I bough the truck and a member picked this later one up for me. It works and has duel tanks and that part works too.

So I had to find how to hook up this valve and found it will only work on MAX AC.

That is ok for now as I don't have AC and when I do I will most likely run it on MAX AC and this valve should make it colder.

Got it hooked up go to test and other than fan on defrost I get nothing??

In checking I have no vacuum to the control? Remember that hour on getting the hose inside? Well I poked few holes in the supply line so got that fixed lets try again!

Every thing is not working but the new bypass valve?

I can push the lever by hand to bypass and it will stay there but remove vacuum and put it back on it will not move the lever? It has a spring to return it to non-bypass and it is to strong for the vacuum to over come it.

So I pulled the vacuum part of the valve off the body and looked into what could be done to make the spring weaker, lever moves real easy so don't know why the heavy spring and for a $20 valve if I broke it no big deal I would make it a manual valve with a cable (should have done this to start).

Got it apart and I start cutting the spring and get it to a point vacuum will pull the arm. Super glue it back together test it and I get no vacuum on the white hose I tee'd into?

The 2 halves are not sealing so had to pull it apart again and make adjustments so it would seal I HOPE!

This time I used JB Weld on the 2 halves and it went together tighter so I think it may work this time I HOPE but I want the JB Weld to set up good before I put it back in service.

In between glues setting up I had a rattle I could not find the last time I went looking. Being it was warm last week and I had the windows open I could hear better where it might be coming from.

Sure enough I found a lower left front shock bolt / nut loose.

Have not taken the truck for a test but I am pretty sure that was it. Not bad if that is all that came loose on a full rebuild LOL.

I also had (I hope) an oil leak that looked like coming from the lifter cover so took up on the bolts and cleaned off the oil with carb clean. Now I got to repaint the block :nabble_smiley_cry:

Also looked into when my oil pis gauge stopped working and it looks like the new Standard sender went bad. Also the temp gauge has been reading really low but I cant remember if I changed it out or not?

So I will need to pick up 2 new senders at some point.

I also went looking (again) for the transmission hump cover for the SROD trans and I cant find it :nabble_anim_confused: For the life of me I cant remember what I did with it when I pulled the parts truck apart years ago? I want to find it as I think it will work great for my next project on the truck.

Dave ----

Did some work to the "project" today.

Moved the Javelin back to the house garage so I could be close to my tools and not worry if I made a mess on the floor.

I picked up a heater bypass valve to stop hot air coming out the vents or when the MAX AC is on.

Cutting the heater hoses and installing the valve was the easy part of the whole job.

Had a heck of a time trying to get the vacuum hose for the engine bay to inside but after an hour it was inside.

Then pulled the dash apart to hook the hose to the HVAC control and where the real trouble started.

I did not have the early control as mine was gone when I bough the truck and a member picked this later one up for me. It works and has duel tanks and that part works too.

So I had to find how to hook up this valve and found it will only work on MAX AC.

That is ok for now as I don't have AC and when I do I will most likely run it on MAX AC and this valve should make it colder.

Got it hooked up go to test and other than fan on defrost I get nothing??

In checking I have no vacuum to the control? Remember that hour on getting the hose inside? Well I poked few holes in the supply line so got that fixed lets try again!

Every thing is not working but the new bypass valve?

I can push the lever by hand to bypass and it will stay there but remove vacuum and put it back on it will not move the lever? It has a spring to return it to non-bypass and it is to strong for the vacuum to over come it.

So I pulled the vacuum part of the valve off the body and looked into what could be done to make the spring weaker, lever moves real easy so don't know why the heavy spring and for a $20 valve if I broke it no big deal I would make it a manual valve with a cable (should have done this to start).

Got it apart and I start cutting the spring and get it to a point vacuum will pull the arm. Super glue it back together test it and I get no vacuum on the white hose I tee'd into?

The 2 halves are not sealing so had to pull it apart again and make adjustments so it would seal I HOPE!

This time I used JB Weld on the 2 halves and it went together tighter so I think it may work this time I HOPE but I want the JB Weld to set up good before I put it back in service.

In between glues setting up I had a rattle I could not find the last time I went looking. Being it was warm last week and I had the windows open I could hear better where it might be coming from.

Sure enough I found a lower left front shock bolt / nut loose.

Have not taken the truck for a test but I am pretty sure that was it. Not bad if that is all that came loose on a full rebuild LOL.

I also had (I hope) an oil leak that looked like coming from the lifter cover so took up on the bolts and cleaned off the oil with carb clean. Now I got to repaint the block :nabble_smiley_cry:

Also looked into when my oil pis gauge stopped working and it looks like the new Standard sender went bad. Also the temp gauge has been reading really low but I cant remember if I changed it out or not?

So I will need to pick up 2 new senders at some point.

I also went looking (again) for the transmission hump cover for the SROD trans and I cant find it :nabble_anim_confused: For the life of me I cant remember what I did with it when I pulled the parts truck apart years ago? I want to find it as I think it will work great for my next project on the truck.

Dave ----

Your issues, few as they may be, are not filling me with enthusiasm for finishing my project... I know I'll probably have similar issues, one or two leaks and most definitely the odd replacement part failing out of the box!:nabble_smiley_uh::nabble_smiley_uh:

But I'm sure you've had plenty of satisfaction out of 'finishing' it too, so I'll keep chugging along.:nabble_smiley_good: