Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

You know it is going to be a nasty day when you walk out the door at 6am and the humidity just hits you.

I started the day by using spray on paint remover on the grille, head light doors and the chrome strips that came off my truck as they were painted black. It had to come off to see what shape they were in.

Well the paint came off the chrome strips real nice, also came off the chrome parts of the doors but the painted part of the doors and grille it took paint and soften the plastic.

Once I got the paint off the chrome part of the door I could see they were junk unless you paint them again as the chrome had been worn off in areas. Where the plastic got soft and the grille I think they can be sanded and sprayed painted to look good again.

Then moved on to look into the radio ant. and why it was pointing off to the side?

Well the plastic base has a pin that fits into a hole on the fender but what I did not see yesterday was the ant. base also has a slot that a fin on the plastic fits into. Once I got that all lined up the ant. now points up right.

With that out of the way I started looking for the screws for the cowl and pull out the garage door seal to install. My seal did have the plastic washers so I pulled the nails out and put the screws in.

I screwed the vent down to the fire wall by the glass, helps to not have the glass in yet, and the 2 end screws in the engine bay side.

The other screws across the cowl / fire wall also hold the cowl seal in place and we now got that checked off the list.

I then polished the best chrome strips for the grille and did the same to the 2 head light doors that all came off the parts truck. The doors should be replaced because they are showing their age but I just don't have the money for them at this time.

I wanted to make sure everything for the grille & doors lined up and I had all the screws so I installed them. I will pull the grille & doors when my plastic repair kit refills comes in as the grille has some cracks & broken tab and 1 of the doors also has a broken tab.

Once they are fixed I will paint the light area of the 2 doors and the grille a dark silver metal flake.

Just about this time FedEx showed up with the rubber weather strip kit, did not think I would show up till the end of the week. Besides the plastic repair kit refills coming I have an LMC order on it's way.

I also want to pick up something like Dynamat for the 2 doors. I looked in Lowes the other day for stiff guys call "peel & stick" think it is used as a sealer on roofs? I want to take out the drum noise of the doors and now is the time before I put the insides of the doors back together.

12pm this is what the truck looked like before I closed up shop

Dave ----

Good progress, Dave. :nabble_smiley_good:

I think it is Peel & Seal, and there are two versions at Lowes:

6" x 25"

3' x 33.5'

On the cowl seal/weatherstrip, did you put glue behind it? If not it is very likely to leak. Mine did. And RTV doesn't do it. Blackjack at Lowes does.

6" x 25"

3' x 33.5'

On the cowl seal/weatherstrip, did you put glue behind it? If not it is very likely to leak. Mine did. And RTV doesn't do it. Blackjack at Lowes does.

:nabble_smiley_cry:Glue? I don't remember reading anything about glue?

So no glue but I am not to worried there is nothing back there for water to hurt but I may but some black weather strip glue for the other weather seals and put a little on this hood seal.

I will have to give another look for that peel and seal at Lowes maybe on the way home from work tomorrow, up at 3am so have to see how I feel.

Dave ----

6" x 25"

3' x 33.5'

:nabble_smiley_cry:Glue? I don't remember reading anything about glue?

So no glue but I am not to worried there is nothing back there for water to hurt but I may but some black weather strip glue for the other weather seals and put a little on this hood seal.

I will have to give another look for that peel and seal at Lowes maybe on the way home from work tomorrow, up at 3am so have to see how I feel.

Dave ----

I just looked and I don't have it in the writeup. But it needs to be there to really seal. I used Blackjack from Lowes, on Jim's advice, and it worked well.

I just looked and I don't have it in the writeup. But it needs to be there to really seal.

There was some kind of adhesive foam strip behind the seal from the factory on my truck. I just peeled it off not too long ago. It's about 1/2" wide and looks like it was probably 1/8" thick when new?

I just looked and I don't have it in the writeup. But it needs to be there to really seal.

There was some kind of adhesive foam strip behind the seal from the factory on my truck. I just peeled it off not too long ago. It's about 1/2" wide and looks like it was probably 1/8" thick when new?

Thanks guys it's on the to do list at some point.

Dave ----

It looks in better shape than mine was when I got it.

Wonder how much they would come down on price?

What is with the right door wood panel? It looks like it had a crank but looks to have electric windows.

Dave ----

Was thinking the same thing - the only logical conclusion is that he picked up a hitchhiking Wolverine (or possibly Shredder) on a hot day. After that he switched to electric...

(Sorry, lame joke but was watching X-Men to get my wife up to speed for Dark Phoenix... :nabble_smiley_beam:)