Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Well can’t spend any money on the truck for a bit.

Had to drop $200+ with home land security to renew my port & HazMat credentials and I still need to take the HazMat test, more $$, with NCDOT to keep it on my driver license.

This way I can do the LP gas loads come winter and get cement at the ports in the summer.

I am lucky my employer pays for my medical card renewal every year, did that the same day as the credentials, that was another $100 I think it is or I can’t keep my CDL license.

Who said being a truck driver is easy & cheap?

Dave ----

Bummer! Are there things you can do to the truck w/o spending money?

There always is :nabble_smiley_wink:

I have (gasp) the last bit of dreaded body work and think I have enough paint to paint the under side of the hood so I can get it on before I paint the cab.

I also have the door panels that a PO spray painted black. I have a qt. of old brake fluid I want to try and see if it will lift the paint but not hurt the panel.

If that works out I can then use SEM to paint them and the other parts for inside the cab to match the dash I have already painted.

And speaking of dash I have the pad I started to repair that I should also finish some day but I don't think it is the one I will use as I have a pad topper to used.

Dave ----

...old brake fluid I want to try and see if it will lift the paint but not hurt the panel.
Put a puddle of fluid on the back side of the panel now, and check it after a couple of days to see what it does to the plastic. If it warps or affects the color, don't use it on the visible side.

There always is :nabble_smiley_wink:

I have (gasp) the last bit of dreaded body work and think I have enough paint to paint the under side of the hood so I can get it on before I paint the cab.

I also have the door panels that a PO spray painted black. I have a qt. of old brake fluid I want to try and see if it will lift the paint but not hurt the panel.

If that works out I can then use SEM to paint them and the other parts for inside the cab to match the dash I have already painted.

And speaking of dash I have the pad I started to repair that I should also finish some day but I don't think it is the one I will use as I have a pad topper to used.

Dave ----

Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy w/o spending money. :nabble_smiley_good:

Looks like you have plenty to keep you busy w/o spending money. :nabble_smiley_good:

Did a little work to the truck.

Dummy me when I put it back in the garage the last time I left the battery hooked up and being I don't have the dash together the light switch is on and the dash lights, only light on the truckat this time, killed the battery so on the charger it wend for a few hours.

I was going to work on the door panels removing spray paint someone put on but looking closer it was not worth the time. One has a chunk missing for the slider lock opening and had a crack near the arm rest.

Both had that dry powder under the paint I would also need to deal with so when time comes I will get new ones and the lock sliders as I don't have any.

Moving on I have one of them over head trays, you remove the viziers blot this tray in place using the same screw holes and bolt the viziers to it. It has a fuzzy covering that was coming off in places so I took it off. I hope to use this as a test bed to add texture and paint before I do any of the panels inside the cab. I don't know if I will use it because when a test fitted it, it looked to sit to low blocking the top of the glass.

Next up were the kick panels, I have 2 sets AC & non-AC and wanted to prep both sets for paint.

Like most panels in our trucks they were dried out. I sanded them down, use a small wire brush that worked pretty good and then gave them a good bath.

I need to find something to add texture back to the sanded areas, why the test bed above, before I paint them.

I then looked at my dash bezels, 2 sets custom that came with the truck and has heavy coats of paint on them and the XL from the parts truck that are wood grain. The wood is not in great shape and may look into redoing it at some point.

So I took the painted radio bezel and used some old brake fluid on a tooth brush to coat and work it in.

A few hours later it looks like it is working but I also see it is broken and will need to be repaired to use.

I also mixed up some JB Weld for the nicks on the bumpers so they will not show up when wrapped or painted.

Dave ----

forgot to post this last night

Did a little work to the truck.

Dummy me when I put it back in the garage the last time I left the battery hooked up and being I don't have the dash together the light switch is on and the dash lights, only light on the truckat this time, killed the battery so on the charger it wend for a few hours.

I was going to work on the door panels removing spray paint someone put on but looking closer it was not worth the time. One has a chunk missing for the slider lock opening and had a crack near the arm rest.

Both had that dry powder under the paint I would also need to deal with so when time comes I will get new ones and the lock sliders as I don't have any.

Moving on I have one of them over head trays, you remove the viziers blot this tray in place using the same screw holes and bolt the viziers to it. It has a fuzzy covering that was coming off in places so I took it off. I hope to use this as a test bed to add texture and paint before I do any of the panels inside the cab. I don't know if I will use it because when a test fitted it, it looked to sit to low blocking the top of the glass.

Next up were the kick panels, I have 2 sets AC & non-AC and wanted to prep both sets for paint.

Like most panels in our trucks they were dried out. I sanded them down, use a small wire brush that worked pretty good and then gave them a good bath.

I need to find something to add texture back to the sanded areas, why the test bed above, before I paint them.

I then looked at my dash bezels, 2 sets custom that came with the truck and has heavy coats of paint on them and the XL from the parts truck that are wood grain. The wood is not in great shape and may look into redoing it at some point.

So I took the painted radio bezel and used some old brake fluid on a tooth brush to coat and work it in.

A few hours later it looks like it is working but I also see it is broken and will need to be repaired to use.

I also mixed up some JB Weld for the nicks on the bumpers so they will not show up when wrapped or painted.

Dave ----

forgot to post this last night

That was quite a day, Dave. :nabble_anim_claps:

On the texture, I think you mentioned that SEM has something. Is their Texture Coating it? The video is interesting and it would seem to be about right to give some texture to our interior pieces. I hope you try it and report back.

On the kick panels, I've often thought that even though I have A/C I'd like a pair of the non-A/C kick panels so I could get more air through. However, I also worry that they might leak and in the winter I'd have COLD air coming in right by my feet. Plus, I do have the sliding rear window.

So, what has been your experience with those kick panels? And which will you use?

On the texture, I think you mentioned that SEM has something. Is their Texture Coating it? The video is interesting and it would seem to be about right to give some texture to our interior pieces. I hope you try it and report back.

On the kick panels, I've often thought that even though I have A/C I'd like a pair of the non-A/C kick panels so I could get more air through. However, I also worry that they might leak and in the winter I'd have COLD air coming in right by my feet. Plus, I do have the sliding rear window.

So, what has been your experience with those kick panels? And which will you use?

After I posted it is a lot of work done just did not think that at the time.

I did not know SEM made that product and will have to look into it.

I seen an older post (Google on dash repair was a BMW site) where the person used SEM under coat to get the texture. He may not known or SEM did not make the textured product back then.

You know I will report back on what ever I use but that product looks to be what I need to use with SEM paint for the panels.

As for the AC & non-AC vents leaking I cant report as I have not driven my truck, or any, with the vents but I can see your point.

Now my cab was a non-AC cab but as you know added factory AC but plan to keep the non-AC vents for more air flow. I am also thinking, wishing, the truck will be on the road before I have the AC working so going to need the vents.

I also have a slider rear glass that needs to be replaced because of missing seals but it should give good air flow thru the cab. I also have a flat glass I may be stuck using till I have funds to buy a slider.

Dave ----

After I posted it is a lot of work done just did not think that at the time.

I did not know SEM made that product and will have to look into it.

I seen an older post (Google on dash repair was a BMW site) where the person used SEM under coat to get the texture. He may not known or SEM did not make the textured product back then.

You know I will report back on what ever I use but that product looks to be what I need to use with SEM paint for the panels.

As for the AC & non-AC vents leaking I cant report as I have not driven my truck, or any, with the vents but I can see your point.

Now my cab was a non-AC cab but as you know added factory AC but plan to keep the non-AC vents for more air flow. I am also thinking, wishing, the truck will be on the road before I have the AC working so going to need the vents.

I also have a slider rear glass that needs to be replaced because of missing seals but it should give good air flow thru the cab. I also have a flat glass I may be stuck using till I have funds to buy a slider.

Dave ----

I'll await your report on the texture and the kick-panel vents. :nabble_smiley_good:

I'll await your report on the texture and the kick-panel vents. :nabble_smiley_good:

It will be a long wait on how the vents work if that is what you meant.

Someone also say SEM makes a textured pad I think it was but he might of meant the spray that you linked to.

I did not get home till after 5pm, out the door at 4am, and I an sure they close at 5pm.

I am doing the same job tomorrow so don't think I can get there then either.

It would be nice to have the texture paint for the weekend, I think I can swing a few spray cans of paint LOL

Dave ----

It will be a long wait on how the vents work if that is what you meant.

Someone also say SEM makes a textured pad I think it was but he might of meant the spray that you linked to.

I did not get home till after 5pm, out the door at 4am, and I an sure they close at 5pm.

I am doing the same job tomorrow so don't think I can get there then either.

It would be nice to have the texture paint for the weekend, I think I can swing a few spray cans of paint LOL

Dave ----

Yes, I meant the vents.

As for work, I remember those days. I LOVE retirement!