Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

I picked up welding wire last Monday and installed it then and did a test so it would be ready to go when I was.

Was able to finish the welding and got them ground down. Fitted the lights to see what is needed to mount the lights.

It looks like I can use part of the light brackets by cutting the ears and welding them to the box I made on the bumpers to fit the lights.

Lights with brackets.

Back side of bumper showing the box I made

Front side of bumper with out light

Light in bumper tan one is tape on it and held in place the other is taken from below as I don't havethe tabs welded on yet.

I need to get longer bolts for the lights to the welded tabs and spacers before I can weld the tabs on.

I would have made a run to the hard ware store but the truck was moved out for more room and at this point it was stating to rain. No glass in truck and the cat was still out it was time to get both truck and cat inside.

I plan to get the bolts & spacers and also hit the auto parts store for a freeze plug or 2 as there was a puddle when I moved the truck out and I don't want 1 of the dogs getting to the leaking anti freeze.

Dave ----

Dave - Those really look like they belong! Well done. I can't wait to see the bumper on the truck and how the lights look with the whole front end. :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave - Those really look like they belong! Well done. I can't wait to see the bumper on the truck and how the lights look with the whole front end. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks I cant wait either.

I was up at 5am but nothing opens around here till 9am (auto zone) and 10am (hard ware both next door to each other) to get parts to do more work.

Couldn't even cut the rest of the grass, did half yesterday before I helped at the pet adoption for a few hours, because it was raining when I got up.

The plan today is to measure the leaking plug, pick up 2 in case the first gets thrown across the shop because it doesn't want to go in, and get the needed bolts so I can finish the lights in the bumper.

Also need to paint the back side of the bumpers to stop the rust with paint I have to stop the rust.

Maybe when the paint is drying I will see if I can replace that leaking freeze plug?

I hope to take the bumpers with me this week to work and if I have the time stop by the wrapper to see what the $$ will to wrap them will be.

Dave ----

Thanks I cant wait either.

I was up at 5am but nothing opens around here till 9am (auto zone) and 10am (hard ware both next door to each other) to get parts to do more work.

Couldn't even cut the rest of the grass, did half yesterday before I helped at the pet adoption for a few hours, because it was raining when I got up.

The plan today is to measure the leaking plug, pick up 2 in case the first gets thrown across the shop because it doesn't want to go in, and get the needed bolts so I can finish the lights in the bumper.

Also need to paint the back side of the bumpers to stop the rust with paint I have to stop the rust.

Maybe when the paint is drying I will see if I can replace that leaking freeze plug?

I hope to take the bumpers with me this week to work and if I have the time stop by the wrapper to see what the $$ will to wrap them will be.

Dave ----

Remind me what you are going to have them wrapped with? I've forgotten.

As for mowing the yard, we have memes of John Deere mowers in 1' of water mowing around here.

Remind me what you are going to have them wrapped with? I've forgotten.

As for mowing the yard, we have memes of John Deere mowers in 1' of water mowing around here.

I am going to try and get them wrapped in chrome.

The bumpers still have some nicks and grinding marks that may or may not show thru and why I need to have them look at them. If they need to be baby butt smooth I will need to spend a lot of time on them as that old chrome is tuff stuff.

They are far from being car show bumpers I just want them to look half way good is all.

Got the bolts for the lights, no freeze plugs (I will tell why later), fitted the bracket tabs to bumper and welded them on and then painted the back side. Popped the lights in for pictures.

20190512_140940.jpg.7dbc1e31c18f58efca93d6a7d660ea23.jpg

Close up of light and how it is mounted.

20190512_140924.jpg.16476983d1b5ed69d258551238a08e76.jpg

And the money shot! Nothing is lined up just placed on to get the picture.

20190512_133705.jpg.89509d53070ad21bedcb0dfefca80368.jpg

Now the freeze plugs :nabble_smiley_cry:

I had to get the truck in the air so figured on using ramps ..... nope! smooth floor they move so I put old mud flaps I have still no go. Ramps moved a little but the wheels just spin on the floor so out came the jack & horse.

So I get a size of about 1.5" reaching around hot parts from trying to get up the ramps and I keep getting dripped on.

I check the rubber plug from under the truck and it is dry? Could it be from the hot water plate on the bottom of the stock intake leaking? Checking from under it looks dry? Get a step stool to check over the fender and I spot another plug leaking!

At this point the manifolds will come off so I can access all the plugs on the right side to replace them.

Only good thing is it has not been long since I put that stuff all together.

Going to place an order with Rock Auto as that is where I got the last gasket and was happy with it.

Hope to have parts by next weekend so I can get that fixed.

Dave ----

I am going to try and get them wrapped in chrome.

The bumpers still have some nicks and grinding marks that may or may not show thru and why I need to have them look at them. If they need to be baby butt smooth I will need to spend a lot of time on them as that old chrome is tuff stuff.

They are far from being car show bumpers I just want them to look half way good is all.

Got the bolts for the lights, no freeze plugs (I will tell why later), fitted the bracket tabs to bumper and welded them on and then painted the back side. Popped the lights in for pictures.

Close up of light and how it is mounted.

And the money shot! Nothing is lined up just placed on to get the picture.

Now the freeze plugs :nabble_smiley_cry:

I had to get the truck in the air so figured on using ramps ..... nope! smooth floor they move so I put old mud flaps I have still no go. Ramps moved a little but the wheels just spin on the floor so out came the jack & horse.

So I get a size of about 1.5" reaching around hot parts from trying to get up the ramps and I keep getting dripped on.

I check the rubber plug from under the truck and it is dry? Could it be from the hot water plate on the bottom of the stock intake leaking? Checking from under it looks dry? Get a step stool to check over the fender and I spot another plug leaking!

At this point the manifolds will come off so I can access all the plugs on the right side to replace them.

Only good thing is it has not been long since I put that stuff all together.

Going to place an order with Rock Auto as that is where I got the last gasket and was happy with it.

Hope to have parts by next weekend so I can get that fixed.

Dave ----

Dave - The lights look GREAT! I really like them set into the bumper that way. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, that's a bummer about the core plugs. However, you are doing it the right way so you'll be done with it soon and not have to worry about them again.

Dave - The lights look GREAT! I really like them set into the bumper that way. :nabble_smiley_good:

But, that's a bummer about the core plugs. However, you are doing it the right way so you'll be done with it soon and not have to worry about them again.

Thanks on the bumper & lights.

It's one of them little custom touches that you would over look if it was not pointed out.

Almost like the metal ribbed bed floor or the rear fuel tank on a flare side.

I pulled the rear bumper off wired brushed the rust on the back side and painted it with the rust stop paint. Both bumpers are in my truck and may be able to stop at the place tomorrow. It is slow for cement because of the rain that passed thru here.

Ordered the plugs & gaskets from Rock Auto, shipping (the cheapest) was more than the 2 parts!

After the freeze plugs I am running out of things that can be done to put off the last little bit of body work to get paint on this thing.

Dave ----

Thanks on the bumper & lights.

It's one of them little custom touches that you would over look if it was not pointed out.

Almost like the metal ribbed bed floor or the rear fuel tank on a flare side.

I pulled the rear bumper off wired brushed the rust on the back side and painted it with the rust stop paint. Both bumpers are in my truck and may be able to stop at the place tomorrow. It is slow for cement because of the rain that passed thru here.

Ordered the plugs & gaskets from Rock Auto, shipping (the cheapest) was more than the 2 parts!

After the freeze plugs I am running out of things that can be done to put off the last little bit of body work to get paint on this thing.

Dave ----

Your truck is going to have lots of little touches that only the true Ford gurus will catch. :nabble_smiley_good:

Get that body work done and you are almost "there"!

Your truck is going to have lots of little touches that only the true Ford gurus will catch. :nabble_smiley_good:

Get that body work done and you are almost "there"!

May need to rethink the bumper wrap.

I hit 3 places, first said he did not want to try it because of some of the bends / corners.

They sent me to a place that does not do wraps who sent me to the 3rd.

It looks good if I want to do it in anything but chrome. The girl that does the wrapping, owners daughter, has not worked with chrome and did not want to give it a try.

Owner was all for giving it a try but was up to her. They did say it scratches easy so would need a film cover over it.

They gave me a number to a guy that does full color change on cars, most I checked with said I need to find a place that does full color change wraps. But if I want to do any other color for the wrap they would do it.

I also was told the finish on the bumpers needs to be better before they can be wrapped.

It is like body work before paint, all nicks and sanding marks need not seen or felt.

I will do a little more prep on them and check with this last person to see what he has to say but they may get painted as it will be about $200 to $250 to wrap them.

Dave ----

May need to rethink the bumper wrap.

I hit 3 places, first said he did not want to try it because of some of the bends / corners.

They sent me to a place that does not do wraps who sent me to the 3rd.

It looks good if I want to do it in anything but chrome. The girl that does the wrapping, owners daughter, has not worked with chrome and did not want to give it a try.

Owner was all for giving it a try but was up to her. They did say it scratches easy so would need a film cover over it.

They gave me a number to a guy that does full color change on cars, most I checked with said I need to find a place that does full color change wraps. But if I want to do any other color for the wrap they would do it.

I also was told the finish on the bumpers needs to be better before they can be wrapped.

It is like body work before paint, all nicks and sanding marks need not seen or felt.

I will do a little more prep on them and check with this last person to see what he has to say but they may get painted as it will be about $200 to $250 to wrap them.

Dave ----

I kinda like the blackout approach. Black bumpers, black grille, black windshield surround, etc.

I kinda like the blackout approach. Black bumpers, black grille, black windshield surround, etc.

With all the cars & trucks today not having any chrome I want to try and keep it.

I still have time before I need to install them so I will see what options I have after I prep them better and talk to this last person.

Dave ----