Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Little more work done on the truck today.

I pulled the rear bumper brackets, bolts & fender braces from the Evap-A-Rust. Had to do a little more clean up of the brackets then a few coats of black paint.

Between coats and drying I cleaned the bolts up on the bench grinder wire wheel.

Paint drying I moved to running boards. I have 2 sets and went with the best and just happened to be the ones off the project truck.

I cleaned them, sanded them to get to good base as they had a few coats of paint and then flat black the whole truck was done in.

I sprayed them with acid to kill what little rust they had and are now sitting till I get primer on them.

Rear bumper brackets dry I put them together and loosely mounted to the truck. I then mounted the bumper made sure all looked good and tighten all the bolts.

I had to do this to make sure the brackets are straight on the truck so I can pull the rear bumper for my custom touch.

Here it is now what ever I do to it I can't hurt it!

I then moved on to the front bumper. I had to mount it so I could mock up how it will look with the lights I want to mount in it.

Once mounted and the "mocked" lights on it I had to dig out a grille and head light doors to get the full effect.

The green rectangle is the size (5-3/4" x 2") of the light that is a fog & driving light, I want a driving light.

This is where I was thinking they would go and would be easy to mount there as it is the flat part of the bumper.

But it just did not give me warm fuzzies so I moved the "mocked" light. I did not measure I just placed it there.

I like the out board spot better. In the LMC catalog it looks like they are mounted between where I have them but they are for the late 70's trucks.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fc/full.aspx?Page=80 where the frame is in farther then our 80's truck.

It will take more work to mount them to the out side as that part of the bumper is angled back and the light would need to point straight.

I guess the next step on the front bumper is to get the lights if the banker will let me.

As for turning the chrome blue I am not worried on the front or rear bumpers as my custom touch has welding involved.

I would need to weld the light brackets to the back side and if I go with the out board set up I would need to fill the gap as the light needs to point straight.

This is the kind of work I enjoy doing, just look at the firewall, metal floor and duel tanks on a flare side

Dave ----

I also found 2 things when installing the grille.

Both of them are broken. I will have to look them over better but I am sure I can fix them both but will start with the best one first.

The other thing is when I moved the center support forward because of the AC condenser the grille does not fit right. I will either have to cut the tab off the support and move it back and re-weld it (easy) or mod the grille (hard) where that tab would screw to. I think both grilles that center tab is broken but if I mod the grille then no stock grille will fit down the road.

Dave ----

I also found 2 things when installing the grille.

Both of them are broken. I will have to look them over better but I am sure I can fix them both but will start with the best one first.

The other thing is when I moved the center support forward because of the AC condenser the grille does not fit right. I will either have to cut the tab off the support and move it back and re-weld it (easy) or mod the grille (hard) where that tab would screw to. I think both grilles that center tab is broken but if I mod the grille then no stock grille will fit down the road.

Dave ----

Dave - I like the outboard location, assuming you are lining things up with the turn signals and the headlights. But, as you said, you'll need to do some work to make them point straight ahead. Will you make a shell that lines them up straight and lets you bolt in the lights?

On the grille/center support question, I'd vote for reworking the support so a stock grille can be used.

Anyway, you are making PROGRESS!

Dave - I like the outboard location, assuming you are lining things up with the turn signals and the headlights. But, as you said, you'll need to do some work to make them point straight ahead. Will you make a shell that lines them up straight and lets you bolt in the lights?

On the grille/center support question, I'd vote for reworking the support so a stock grille can be used.

Anyway, you are making PROGRESS!

The wife was behind me when I took the first picture and asked when I was going to be done.

So when I moved the "mocked" lights it was placed quickly, I think I lined up the outside edge of the lights.

When I get the lights I will know what will be needed to make it look right. I am thinking something like a recessed box to fill the gap between the lights & bumper.

Stay tuned :nabble_smiley_grin:

Dave ----

Did the first step of the custom bumpers, can you tell what it is?

Non-custom front

20190302_164729.jpg.75805a859deed6c3aa01b5b377684ad6.jpg

Custom front

20190310_190345.jpg.507ac22c283fbce378c0a782863b9318.jpg

Non-custom rear

20190302_164810.jpg.d0fb5cc3e3bcdd279ff107b09adda0c0.jpg

custom rear

20190310_190422.jpg.4016f2b6f351db56b85911c5644cd7f5.jpg

Wife also gave the OK to buy the lights for the front bumper so when I have time I will order them and the switch assy.

Dave ----

Did the first step of the custom bumpers, can you tell what it is?

Non-custom front

Custom front

Non-custom rear

custom rear

Wife also gave the OK to buy the lights for the front bumper so when I have time I will order them and the switch assy.

Dave ----

Looks like "custom" has no bolts showing. Cool!

And, happy banker, happy life. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yep no bolts showing. Way back in the day my dad said they called that a floating bumper.

Yes got to keep the banker happy. She did give the OK to buy the lights last night and just a few minutes ago said we are getting back some tax money so go ahead and order them.

Guess I should do that before she changes her mind. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Once I have lights in hand I can cut holes and figure how I am going to mount them.

Just thinking I have to measure the head & turn lights and mark that on the bumper so they will be centered.

Dave ----

Yep no bolts showing. Way back in the day my dad said they called that a floating bumper.

Yes got to keep the banker happy. She did give the OK to buy the lights last night and just a few minutes ago said we are getting back some tax money so go ahead and order them.

Guess I should do that before she changes her mind. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Once I have lights in hand I can cut holes and figure how I am going to mount them.

Just thinking I have to measure the head & turn lights and mark that on the bumper so they will be centered.

Dave ----

If the lights you buy are a different length than the width of the headlights and turn signals, will you center the lights up on the center line of the others?

And, have you decided what lights to buy?

If the lights you buy are a different length than the width of the headlights and turn signals, will you center the lights up on the center line of the others?

And, have you decided what lights to buy?

Yes and yes.

The green "patches" are the size of the lights posted on LMC's site but I did not center them for the pictures. I did not like the look when in the center so I just placed them out there. I think I lined up the outside edges of the trucks lights & the driving / fog lights.

But as you said I will find the center line of the head / turn lights and try and center the driving / fog lights to them.

I just placed the order with LMC for the 73 - 79 driving / fog lights that fit in the bumper for that years.

I also bought the switch / relay / harness assy.

Don't know how that will play out yet but thought best to have and not use than not have it and need it.

5 to 7 days I should have them in hand and will get pictures.

Dave ----