Bullnose Forums

Bad oil consumption

mp470

3.5 quarts in 500 miles???

Have you checked for suction at the PCV valve?

Sometimes the tube going to the carb flange is completely filled with cack.

Maybe your rings are sticking from sitting?

I would run a quart of Rislone or ATF before the next oil change and use high detergent diesel oil from here on out.

My truck hit 430,000 yesterday and that means I have ~150,000 mi on this engine.

Always using cheap diesel oil and a Motorcraft FL1A it was amazingly clean inside when i swapped valve covers a week or two ago.

Do the cheap stuff first, before condemning the engine.

No carb, EFI. I will check the PCV suction. I know it's relatively new and is a Motorcraft part. I did run a bit of Seafoam through the crankcase before the last change, now it's all black again. I'm sure it's crudded up good. I'll try the cheapo 15w40.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No carb, EFI. I will check the PCV suction. I know it's relatively new and is a Motorcraft part. I did run a bit of Seafoam through the crankcase before the last change, now it's all black again. I'm sure it's crudded up good. I'll try the cheapo 15w40.

Since it sat for years the seals will have been dry. And crud may have built up on them or maybe even between them and the shafts. So it will take time to clean all that up and soften up the seals.

And Jim is right about the rings. So do several oil changes with lots of driving.

Yours is an early EFI 302 from what I remember, that one has the PCV on the rear of the right valve cover, quick check for enough flow, take the hose off the air filter and see if there is vacuum or pressure there with the engine running. If you find that line and the air filter area very oily, either that is your problem, or you have a turbocharged Chrysler :nabble_smiley_happy: mine on my LeBaron konvertible always stayed wet with oil.

Other problem, and loads of fun on that engine is clogged oil drain back holes in the heads allowing oil to puddle up there at higher rpm and loads.

Yours is an early EFI 302 from what I remember, that one has the PCV on the rear of the right valve cover, quick check for enough flow, take the hose off the air filter and see if there is vacuum or pressure there with the engine running. If you find that line and the air filter area very oily, either that is your problem, or you have a turbocharged Chrysler :nabble_smiley_happy: mine on my LeBaron konvertible always stayed wet with oil.

Other problem, and loads of fun on that engine is clogged oil drain back holes in the heads allowing oil to puddle up there at higher rpm and loads.

When I first brought it home, the air filter was wet with oil and the crankcase breather filter was missing. Haven't looked at it since they were replaced. I did look at the PCV valve when I did the valve cover gaskets and it rattled nicely - not that it's necessarily an indication of it being good - never checked it while running. It actually goes into the passenger side valve cover from the rear of the intake manifold while the air filter breather hose goes to the driver's side valve cover / oil filler cap.

When I first brought it home, the air filter was wet with oil and the crankcase breather filter was missing. Haven't looked at it since they were replaced. I did look at the PCV valve when I did the valve cover gaskets and it rattled nicely - not that it's necessarily an indication of it being good - never checked it while running. It actually goes into the passenger side valve cover from the rear of the intake manifold while the air filter breather hose goes to the driver's side valve cover / oil filler cap.

Just make sure that there is vacuum from the intake manifold on the hose going to the PCV valve. Sometimes they get plugged, and then leaks happen.

Just make sure that there is vacuum from the intake manifold on the hose going to the PCV valve. Sometimes they get plugged, and then leaks happen.

Exactly my point!

The carbureted 302's had a metal tube going to the front of the spacer and this would get completely clogged.

Sure, the PCV valve itself would rattle, but there was no suction and oil would pump out all the seals, even with decent ring seal.

Exactly my point!

The carbureted 302's had a metal tube going to the front of the spacer and this would get completely clogged.

Sure, the PCV valve itself would rattle, but there was no suction and oil would pump out all the seals, even with decent ring seal.

Another point on 5.0's

That line going to one cylinder can cause a lot of damage.

There is a reason most PCV's draw to a central location...

One cylinder (#7?, 8?) Is getting ALL the oil and that can and will cause detonation that destroys the top of the piston down to the compression ring land.

It is a common mod to move the PCV vacuum source to the plenum for this reason.

Another point on 5.0's

That line going to one cylinder can cause a lot of damage.

There is a reason most PCV's draw to a central location...

One cylinder (#7?, 8?) Is getting ALL the oil and that can and will cause detonation that destroys the top of the piston down to the compression ring land.

It is a common mod to move the PCV vacuum source to the plenum for this reason.

Well the PCV hose vacuum is just fine. I had a good look underneath and there's oil all over everything but somehow it doesn't make it to the ground. Someone butchered that oil pan gasket pretty bad. It looks like they used some kind of universal cork gasket and then gooped grey RTV where the leaking spots remained.

PHOTO_20170906_204456.thumb.jpg.36462524c79f5989f3497289f58fee1a.jpg

Well the PCV hose vacuum is just fine. I had a good look underneath and there's oil all over everything but somehow it doesn't make it to the ground. Someone butchered that oil pan gasket pretty bad. It looks like they used some kind of universal cork gasket and then gooped grey RTV where the leaking spots remained.

Looks to me like someone had the timing case or oil pan off and used rtv like they should where the the front half circle seal meets the pan rail gaskets.

You could always install a one piece oil pan gasket but it's a real pita with the engine in the truck.

When you had the PCV disconnected to check for vacuum at the hose how bad was the puffing coming from the valve?

A leakdown test will determine if your blow by is the same across all cylinders (worn) or something like broken rings in one cylinder.

Looks to me like someone had the timing case or oil pan off and used rtv like they should where the the front half circle seal meets the pan rail gaskets.

You could always install a one piece oil pan gasket but it's a real pita with the engine in the truck.

When you had the PCV disconnected to check for vacuum at the hose how bad was the puffing coming from the valve?

A leakdown test will determine if your blow by is the same across all cylinders (worn) or something like broken rings in one cylinder.

What do you mean by puffing from the valve?