Bullnose Forum

Rear Bumper/Spare Tire Mount Thoughts

Gary Lewis

That's quite a nice spare tire carrier, isn't it? Obviously it opens just far enough to let the gate down. It would probably squat the back of my light little Bull...lol, but you guys with the 8-lug trucks, no problemo!

Did Gary ever build a bumper like this?

I don't think he's gotten that far.

He's too busy powder coating his nuts.

But he is going to need something because of that 38 gallon tank.

That's quite a nice spare tire carrier, isn't it? Obviously it opens just far enough to let the gate down. It would probably squat the back of my light little Bull...lol, but you guys with the 8-lug trucks, no problemo!

Did Gary ever build a bumper like this?

Yes, that is a nice carrier. If the truck wasn't so expensive.....

I've not gotten mine built. It isn't my time that is the problem but that of my friend that was/is going to build it. He has cancer and is going through about his 4th or 5th round of treatment, so has much bigger problems to worry about than my bumper, so I don't mention it.

However, I won't need it for a while. The spare is in the middle of the bed, chained to the 5th wheel base, and until I convince my son to go with me on a real overlanding trip it can stay right there. In the interim Janey and I'll use the truck for trips where we don't camp and, therefore, don't need as much storage space.

Yes, that is a nice carrier. If the truck wasn't so expensive.....

I've not gotten mine built. It isn't my time that is the problem but that of my friend that was/is going to build it. He has cancer and is going through about his 4th or 5th round of treatment, so has much bigger problems to worry about than my bumper, so I don't mention it.

However, I won't need it for a while. The spare is in the middle of the bed, chained to the 5th wheel base, and until I convince my son to go with me on a real overlanding trip it can stay right there. In the interim Janey and I'll use the truck for trips where we don't camp and, therefore, don't need as much storage space.

I'm liking the light set up in the plate part of the bumper. But if you move to a state that requires a front plate... Kinda screwed. Also not sure how functional that is vs having them set apart. I also noticed above the lights looks like he welded a diamond plate step there.

I'm liking the light set up in the plate part of the bumper. But if you move to a state that requires a front plate... Kinda screwed. Also not sure how functional that is vs having them set apart. I also noticed above the lights looks like he welded a diamond plate step there.

I have to have a front plate, but I am following Dave's lead ad settling them wide apart.

I have to have a front plate, but I am following Dave's lead ad settling them wide apart.
I've seriously considered adding lights in the Warn winch bumper on Big Blue - even though people think that's sacrilegious given the rarity of those bumpers. But there's plenty of room to do so and I'm still thinking about it. Besides, I may PC it black since it has rust showing, although the rust does add to the patina. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Toward that end I've done a lot of reading about extra lighting. And what I've read makes sense - you want the light down low for two reasons:

1. Fog: This puts it under the fog or snow. But if the lights are high then you'll have the light reflecting into your eyes

Dips: If you put the light down low the dips will stand out because there won't be any light in them. But if you put the light high, like above the cab, you'll light up the bottom of the dips and won't be able to see where they are.

• 1 year later...
I've seriously considered adding lights in the Warn winch bumper on Big Blue - even though people think that's sacrilegious given the rarity of those bumpers. But there's plenty of room to do so and I'm still thinking about it. Besides, I may PC it black since it has rust showing, although the rust does add to the patina. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Toward that end I've done a lot of reading about extra lighting. And what I've read makes sense - you want the light down low for two reasons:

1. Fog: This puts it under the fog or snow. But if the lights are high then you'll have the light reflecting into your eyes

Dips: If you put the light down low the dips will stand out because there won't be any light in them. But if you put the light high, like above the cab, you'll light up the bottom of the dips and won't be able to see where they are.
Well, it has been a while since I posted on this thread, but with today's discussion with WelderScott I think it is time to revive it. Especially since I need to re-read parts of this thread in order to refresh my thinking.So, Scott came over today to have us check out some things his '78. And when we got done we looked Big Blue over. During that he asked about the bumper/spare tire mount and suggested that we make it. :nabble_anim_jump:He was serious, so I've now dusted off the drawing and am trying to re-learn how to use TurboCAD in 3D. (It isn't intuitively obvious to the casual observer.) And I've created a materials list. I'll hand off some printouts to him at church tomorrow, and will start thinking about this seriously.But I'll document most of the work in Big Blue's Transformation - unless it should be in a thread of its own. Thoughts?

Well, it has been a while since I posted on this thread, but with today's discussion with WelderScott I think it is time to revive it. Especially since I need to re-read parts of this thread in order to refresh my thinking.

So, Scott came over today to have us check out some things his '78. And when we got done we looked Big Blue over. During that he asked about the bumper/spare tire mount and suggested that we make it. :nabble_anim_jump:

He was serious, so I've now dusted off the drawing and am trying to re-learn how to use TurboCAD in 3D. (It isn't intuitively obvious to the casual observer.) And I've created a materials list. I'll hand off some printouts to him at church tomorrow, and will start thinking about this seriously.

But I'll document most of the work in Big Blue's Transformation - unless it should be in a thread of its own. Thoughts?

Remind me the OD of the tubes?

You'll never do this with a fly cutter, but you can sometimes use a hole saw.

Often if the angle is acute you'll have to back out and hack off some of the leading edge because most hole saws are only a couple of inches deep.

Lather, rinse, repeat....

Remind me the OD of the tubes?

You'll never do this with a fly cutter, but you can sometimes use a hole saw.

Often if the angle is acute you'll have to back out and hack off some of the leading edge because most hole saws are only a couple of inches deep.

Lather, rinse, repeat....

Good idea, Jim. :nabble_smiley_good:

The tubes are 2 1/2" square for the vertical and angled pieces on the swing arm, and 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 for the horizontal piece. But a 2" hole saw would be the thing to use as the tubes that go into the fish mouthed openings are 2".

Good idea, Jim. :nabble_smiley_good:

The tubes are 2 1/2" square for the vertical and angled pieces on the swing arm, and 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 for the horizontal piece. But a 2" hole saw would be the thing to use as the tubes that go into the fish mouthed openings are 2".

Okay, I'm seeing the sketch in Big Blue's thread.

Guess I'm just used to things like motorcycle frames or pipes when I think of fishmouthed joints I only think of round sections meeting. (my literal mind missing the obvious. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: )

What do you gain by having the bottom tube wider?

Okay, I'm seeing the sketch in Big Blue's thread.

Guess I'm just used to things like motorcycle frames or pipes when I think of fishmouthed joints I only think of round sections meeting. (my literal mind missing the obvious. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig: )

What do you gain by having the bottom tube wider?

Let's say the bottom tube is taller rather than wider. The 3 1/2" height instead of 2 1/2" for the rest of the tubing means it engages the full length of the pivot. And, IIRC, the stiffness of a tube goes up with the square of the height, so a 3 /12" piece will be almost twice as stiff as a 2 1/2" high piece. Plus, we have almost 1/3 more area on which to weld.

As for the thickness of the material, let's take that up in BB's Transformation and keep it all together there.