Bullnose Forums

Blue Top For Big Blue?

Dave - How about writing a review of them? Blue Top Steering Gears

Just an update on the progress.

I sent the box to Blue Top on Monday afternoon with a Wednesday expected delivery. In the interim I emailed with Blue Top asking how to get the lower steering column bearing as part of the order and they said that I should call when my box was delivered.

It was delivered to them yesterday, Wednesday. But before I could call I got an email saying "I got the bearing in the shipping box for when we do get it done and packaged tomorrow morning."

And today I got the invoice by email, which I paid. Then I got an email from Ryan at BT that said "It should ship out today but we got a blizzard last night and supposed to go all day here so not sure if we will get our UPS truck in." Told him I understand and it won't be a problem.

So far the interactions with BT have been stellar! Cannot wait to get the box installed as if it is half as good as everyone says, or half as good as their customer service, the steering will be awesome!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent the box to Blue Top on Monday afternoon with a Wednesday expected delivery. In the interim I emailed with Blue Top asking how to get the lower steering column bearing as part of the order and they said that I should call when my box was delivered.

It was delivered to them yesterday, Wednesday. But before I could call I got an email saying "I got the bearing in the shipping box for when we do get it done and packaged tomorrow morning."

And today I got the invoice by email, which I paid. Then I got an email from Ryan at BT that said "It should ship out today but we got a blizzard last night and supposed to go all day here so not sure if we will get our UPS truck in." Told him I understand and it won't be a problem.

So far the interactions with BT have been stellar! Cannot wait to get the box installed as if it is half as good as everyone says, or half as good as their customer service, the steering will be awesome!

Very nice feedback, Mr. Lewis!

That's good to hear!

Kudos to Blue Top!

That's good to hear!

Kudos to Blue Top!

Yes, Blue Top is absolutely on top of the list of vendors that communicate well.

As for the chance of my box getting out of there today, here's the latest on the storm:

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CDT /5 AM MDT/FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy snow. Additional snow accumulations between 6 and 10 inches.

* WHERE...Southwest and much of central North Dakota.

* WHEN...Until 6 AM CDT /5 AM MDT/ Friday.

* IMPACTS...Travel will be very difficult. The hazardous conditions will impact the morning and evening commutes.

And here's the area with Stanton, the home of Blue Top, circled: :nabble_smiley_oh:

Stanton_ND_Winter_Storm_Map.thumb.jpg.be797333932d482e2b409ce57888d6aa.jpg

As for the lower shaft, I already have a Borgeson in there, courtesy of the previous owner. But I am also ordering the lower steering column bearing as mine is a bit loose and I want to fix everything while in there. And that created another problem with ordering. I've put the bearing in my cart but see no way to put the box in my cart. So I can't figure out how to check out ordering both things at the same time.

I purchased a similar billet bearing for mine. I had to drill out the screw holes on the column and stretch the plastic shaft bushing because the aftermarket bearing is wider. I don't know if that bushing is super necessary but I felt compelled to save it.

As for the lower shaft, I already have a Borgeson in there, courtesy of the previous owner. But I am also ordering the lower steering column bearing as mine is a bit loose and I want to fix everything while in there. And that created another problem with ordering. I've put the bearing in my cart but see no way to put the box in my cart. So I can't figure out how to check out ordering both things at the same time.

I purchased a similar billet bearing for mine. I had to drill out the screw holes on the column and stretch the plastic shaft bushing because the aftermarket bearing is wider. I don't know if that bushing is super necessary but I felt compelled to save it.

This is the bearing from DRB MACHINE AND FAB. Their site says:

Bearing 80-91 Ford Trucks

Unlike others on eBay, this is not stamped steel held in with flimsy sheet metal screws. It's machined from a block of aluminum. It will never flex as it's a VERY tight fit. IT'S MADE IN THE USA

This is a lower steering column bearing for the following trucks 80-91 Ford Trucks

BRAND NEW from DRB Machine and Fab. Aluminum housing and press - fit sealed bearing.

This will replace the most likely broken plastic bearing in your column now. Helps restore smooth steering and eliminated a steering wheel vibration on your truck. Includes stainless mounting hardware for a finished look.

And it is supposed to look like this when installed:

s-l500_1024x1024.jpg.041a1e2591a03b7bfa09d557189daac0.jpg

Bearing 80-91 Ford Trucks

Unlike others on eBay, this is not stamped steel held in with flimsy sheet metal screws. It's machined from a block of aluminum. It will never flex as it's a VERY tight fit. IT'S MADE IN THE USA

This is a lower steering column bearing for the following trucks 80-91 Ford Trucks

BRAND NEW from DRB Machine and Fab. Aluminum housing and press - fit sealed bearing.

This will replace the most likely broken plastic bearing in your column now. Helps restore smooth steering and eliminated a steering wheel vibration on your truck. Includes stainless mounting hardware for a finished look.

Gary, do you think we can do a write up on tightening the steering in our trucks? I replaced my rag joint yesterday, and that helped noticeably, but I definitely want it as good as it can be. Pulling a 10,000lb trailer with loose steering doesn't sound very safe... Keep us updated on the Bluetop deal!

Gary, do you think we can do a write up on tightening the steering in our trucks? I replaced my rag joint yesterday, and that helped noticeably, but I definitely want it as good as it can be. Pulling a 10,000lb trailer with loose steering doesn't sound very safe... Keep us updated on the Bluetop deal!

I'll do my best to document it. Will probably just post pics in this thread and then maybe consolidate later if needed.

And UPS shows to have picked up the box, even with a blizzard going on, and it is due here Tuesday.

I fixed the notoriously bad steering on my Dodge pickup with the same strategy Gary is doing here ('cept I bought a Red Head). The Blue Top steering gear will probably make the biggest difference making steering more precise and eliminating dead zones. A solid bearing like the one Gary posted will enhance feedback in the steering wheel and get rid of death wobble, especially if the stock plastic housing is busted. Stock bearings themselves are tiny and unsealed, suspended in place with a flimsy rubber sleeve. Mine were both toast when I opened up the column on my Bronco. On the Dodge, the fix is leave the bad bearings in place and hammer in a chunky plastic donut at the bottom of the column...

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n141536/s-l500_1024x1024.jpg

I'm talking about the plastic bushing that fills in the gaps between the squared edges of the shaft and the inside of the bearing. I'd imagine it's probably missing or broken on most trucks. I put mine on the vise and used a torch and gravity to make it longer to fit the new bearing. It probably doesn't matter much, it's probably just a dust seal.

Here's the start of the how-to. Let's first remove the pitman arm:

• Remove the nut: That takes a 1 5/16" socket and some means of driving it. My 1/2" impact wouldn't fit between the front diff and the nut so I used a breakover. Since the factory torque spec is 170 - 230 lb-ft you may need a cheater to break it loose.

• Pull the arm: You'll need a pitman arm puller, as shown below. Mine is a K-D 2289, and it takes a 3/4" socket to drive it. My process is to tighten it up with a lot of force and then smack the sides and back of the pitman arm a couple of times. Then tighten up again and smack it again. Pretty soon it'll pop loose.

• Secure drag link: If you are using the existing drag link, as I am, then secure it so it won't get damaged as you do further work around it.

Removing_Pitman_Arm_Nut.jpg.720ec9898dd0f88723775a50543115b7.jpg

Pitman_Arm_Puller_In_Place.jpg.c79f186037f99c9da40f4ecdb1f760a8.jpg

Using_Ratchet_On_Pitman_Arm_Puller.jpg.271cfad730f7b0a69375b7cafc123ecb.jpg

Hitting_Side_Of_Pitman_Arm.thumb.jpg.677fb23ff63323f98c38e01aa200ece4.jpgHitting_Back_Of_Pitman_Arm.thumb.jpg.543d5d22430dfeb5331b63ce68997a80.jpg

Pitman_Arm_Removed.thumb.jpg.7be4362e5785c2b5331262ffbfde8c7e.jpg