Bullnose Forums

Blue Top For Big Blue?

Didn't get a lot done today, but after church and our luncheon I did get the return hoses installed.

That 3/8" transmission cooler hose is a TIGHT fit on the 3/8" fittings. I seriously doubt that hose clamps are even needed, but I did install the EFI clamps. However I'd ordered in 15-17mm ones as well as 16-18's and the smaller size fit better so I used them.

One thing I like about these clamps is the tongue that completes the circle so there is pressure on the hose all the way around, as shown below.

We have errands to run tomorrow so I'm hoping to get everything back together and test it on Tuesday.

Mid-day update. Got the system filled, but that wasn't as easy as the Blue Top instructions implied. Using their guidance I filled the Saginaw pump up, pulled the coil wire, cranked the engine over, and spun the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock several times. And the pump was still full. So I did it again and again and the pump was still full.

Given that I put the coil wire back on and started it up. And in a few seconds there was a noise like something had gotten caught in the fan. But there was nothing. However the pump was so low I couldn't see any fluid, so I filled it back up. When I started it again the noise was gone for a few seconds, and then it was back and the pump was low.

After about four rounds of this the noise didn't come back and the level stayed where it should. So I took it for a drive. :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump:

To say it made a difference isn't even close to the truth. WOW! It is new-car tight! There is no slop, no wander, just drive it and don't think about it.

The steering wheel is off slightly so I'll pull the bottom of the Borgeson shaft off the box and turn it a notch clockwise. (The Borgeson shaft doesn't have the flats like the factory shaft so can be turned to make adjustments.) And I'll check the fluid level again to ensure that it doesn't need topped up.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid-day update. Got the system filled, but that wasn't as easy as the Blue Top instructions implied. Using their guidance I filled the Saginaw pump up, pulled the coil wire, cranked the engine over, and spun the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock several times. And the pump was still full. So I did it again and again and the pump was still full.

Given that I put the coil wire back on and started it up. And in a few seconds there was a noise like something had gotten caught in the fan. But there was nothing. However the pump was so low I couldn't see any fluid, so I filled it back up. When I started it again the noise was gone for a few seconds, and then it was back and the pump was low.

After about four rounds of this the noise didn't come back and the level stayed where it should. So I took it for a drive. :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump: :nabble_anim_jump:

To say it made a difference isn't even close to the truth. WOW! It is new-car tight! There is no slop, no wander, just drive it and don't think about it.

The steering wheel is off slightly so I'll pull the bottom of the Borgeson shaft off the box and turn it a notch clockwise. (The Borgeson shaft doesn't have the flats like the factory shaft so can be turned to make adjustments.) And I'll check the fluid level again to ensure that it doesn't need topped up.

End of day report: SUCCESS! The Blue Top box made a HUGE difference. I'm really impressed and will go write up my review of it and them - 5 stars.

Excellent! Good to hear!

Update: When I went out to the shop this morning I found ATF on the work bench right by the old steering box. But, I'd plugged the inlet & outlet ports. :nabble_anim_confused:

Then I realized the leak had been from the output shaft seal. So, not only did the BT box cure the steering problems it also fixed the leak that I thought was from the return lines. :nabble_smiley_oh: