Bullnose Forums

Blue Top For Big Blue?

Since getting Big Blue on the road I've never been impressed with his steering as there seems to be a lot of play in it, even though the previous owner replaced the steering box. But as we all know there are only two outfits, Redhead and Blue Top, that bore out the box and press in an actual bearing, therefore tightening up the steering, and this isn't one of those.

Given that I've been thinking about replacing the steering box with a Blue Top - especially after seeing that they have been on the fringe of going out of business due to lack of help. Fortunately their website now says "We will be reducing inventory until we are able to get more help. Please be patient with us as we try to keep up with the demand."

Today I realized that I have a leak in the steering system as there is a puddle of ATF in the catch tray over which Big Blue is parked. And looking up behind the steering box I can see that the hoses up there are wet. But it is so tight up in there that figuring out where the leak is and fixing it isn't going to be easy.

So I'm thinking now is the time to remove the steering box, which will give me much better access to all of the connections. But if I have the box out it seems now is the time to replace it.

As of now I don't know where the leak is, but will be trying to determine that soon. However in the interim I'm toying with ordering the Blue Top. They say they have them in stock, so why not?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a Blue Top on my 81 F100 and love it.

They were cheaper than Red Head is why I went with Blue.

They were also vary easy to deal with and would not think twice of useing Blue again.

Dave ----

Thanks, Dave. I got Janey's approval so think I'll go ahead and order.

Gary,

You may remember that I installed a Redhead box in my 1984 Flareside and I was quite happy with it.

If you haven't done so already, it's a great time to up grade the steering shaft when changing out the steering box. The 1987-1991 steering shaft is a bit of an upgrade over the 1980-1986 shaft. It has a "dry" knuckle at the top, and a heavy bonded rubber joint at the bottom (where the Bullnose "rag joint" is). I guess simply put, it is a tighter and sturdier piece.

You could also do the Boregson shaft...and I'm sure they are wonderful, but they're expensive;).

Gary,

You may remember that I installed a Redhead box in my 1984 Flareside and I was quite happy with it.

If you haven't done so already, it's a great time to up grade the steering shaft when changing out the steering box. The 1987-1991 steering shaft is a bit of an upgrade over the 1980-1986 shaft. It has a "dry" knuckle at the top, and a heavy bonded rubber joint at the bottom (where the Bullnose "rag joint" is). I guess simply put, it is a tighter and sturdier piece.

You could also do the Boregson shaft...and I'm sure they are wonderful, but they're expensive;).

Thanks, Cory. Yes, I remember that. And thought about a Redhead, one of which I have in Dad's truck. But I'd really like my money to go to Blue Top to keep them in business if possible, so have started the order process with them.

By "started" I mean I ticked the boxes but then came to one about core charge and on it you can pick "Select core charge" or "Core charge $150". That didn't make any sense to me as there's no option to the option, so I emailed them. On Friday I'd emailed them and got responses w/in 5 minutes of each question, but this was on Saturday and they were obviously out and didn't answer. So I'll wait until tomorrow and am sure I'll get a response. But not to worry 'cause the boxes won't be in stock until Wednesday.

As for the lower shaft, I already have a Borgeson in there, courtesy of the previous owner. But I am also ordering the lower steering column bearing as mine is a bit loose and I want to fix everything while in there. And that created another problem with ordering. I've put the bearing in my cart but see no way to put the box in my cart. So I can't figure out how to check out ordering both things at the same time.

Tomorrow! :nabble_anim_jump:

Metal_Steering_Column_Bearing.jpg.e938983ed0dbec7b7aaab7ab53ef73f3.jpg

Thanks, Cory. Yes, I remember that. And thought about a Redhead, one of which I have in Dad's truck. But I'd really like my money to go to Blue Top to keep them in business if possible, so have started the order process with them.

By "started" I mean I ticked the boxes but then came to one about core charge and on it you can pick "Select core charge" or "Core charge $150". That didn't make any sense to me as there's no option to the option, so I emailed them. On Friday I'd emailed them and got responses w/in 5 minutes of each question, but this was on Saturday and they were obviously out and didn't answer. So I'll wait until tomorrow and am sure I'll get a response. But not to worry 'cause the boxes won't be in stock until Wednesday.

As for the lower shaft, I already have a Borgeson in there, courtesy of the previous owner. But I am also ordering the lower steering column bearing as mine is a bit loose and I want to fix everything while in there. And that created another problem with ordering. I've put the bearing in my cart but see no way to put the box in my cart. So I can't figure out how to check out ordering both things at the same time.

Heard back from Blue Top at 8:02 this morning regarding my questions on ordering. (Boy, they are RESPONSIVE!) The reason the dropdown on the core charge has only the one option is that they want you to know what the cost will be if you don't return one.

And the reason I can't put one in my cart is that they aren't available at the moment, but they hope to have them Wednesday - if they get some cores in.

So since I have a spare core I'm shipping it off to them today. But as I pulled the pitman arm I realized that my SiL (TJ/tjmac) and I'll need the 1 5/16" socket and puller, so I've started a to-take tote for tools as he has a new Blue Top to install. (We are headed to their place in December and he and I'll do some work on his 83.)

And I also looked at the tag on this box. As you can see it says SPA DC. Oddly enough the MPC says that is for a 1980, but I've never had an '80 in the shop nor parted one out. I'm reasonably sure that one came off of Dad's truck and I am pretty sure it was original to the truck, so there's another issue with the MPC. It isn't perfect.

SPA_DC_Sector_Box.thumb.jpg.080fd1d9df5095c081a7cdfdfe47a7ec.jpgTools_For_TJ_Mac.thumb.jpg.d450ee356819d2fa1388ca573d61b17a.jpg

Gary, it seems I read on here a month or so back that Blue Top was exiting the scene. I thought that was really sad news, as I was so impressed in the service that I got from them. I was so impressed that I posted up a thread here somewhere. Anyway, good to hear they are still out there.

Gary, it seems I read on here a month or so back that Blue Top was exiting the scene. I thought that was really sad news, as I was so impressed in the service that I got from them. I was so impressed that I posted up a thread here somewhere. Anyway, good to hear they are still out there.

Yes, John, it is good news that they are still out there. We need the competition for Redhead, and given the service others have gotten they may be the better of the two. Which is one reason I wanted to buy from them.

They say they are going slowly but hanging in there. But they don't have any of our boxes on the shelf and are waiting on cores. So I sent them my spare box today and primed the pump. :nabble_smiley_good:

I also heard the same thing but about a week later it was posted they were hanging in there and will for as long as they could.

I was vary happy with my Blue Top box and would go with them again if I needed a box.

Dave ----

I also heard the same thing but about a week later it was posted they were hanging in there and will for as long as they could.

I was vary happy with my Blue Top box and would go with them again if I needed a box.

Dave ----

Dave - How about writing a review of them? Blue Top Steering Gears