Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

Dead on Mat, Ford went to metric fittings with the O-rings in 1985. If any of the components are wrong (US vs Metric) making them seal becomes mission impossible.

This is one of the main things that frustrates me about the automotive aftermarket. In the catalog, there is ONE hose shown from 83 to 87.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the main things that frustrates me about the automotive aftermarket. In the catalog, there is ONE hose shown from 83 to 87.

Ok correction. There is a different hose shown for 83 only. Problem is, it's the hose for the small blocks and 300. I'm pretty sure the 460 got its own hose in all year models. It's also listed for the 83 460 model f2 and 350's but I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Of that is the only hose available, I'm in a mess. One point of confusion though: why would the wrong hose fit the pump if they changed from sae to metric? I would think that it would not thread in. I also confirmed earlier that it does in fact leak at idle without the wheel being turned. A steady drip. When the wheel is turned it shoots out.

Go to our page at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Power Steering. There you'll see illustrations that give you the base/group part number, then to to the Part Numbers page and you'll see what they fit.

3A719 is the base number for both the pump/gear and gear/pump hoses, and you'll see that there have been many different hoses.

Go to our page at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Steering/Power Steering. There you'll see illustrations that give you the base/group part number, then to to the Part Numbers page and you'll see what they fit.

3A719 is the base number for both the pump/gear and gear/pump hoses, and you'll see that there have been many different hoses.

Thanks Gary, for some reason I tend to forget that I'm sitting right on top of the biggest stack of Bullnose documentation in the world! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Thanks Gary, for some reason I tend to forget that I'm sitting right on top of the biggest stack of Bullnose documentation in the world! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

The largest online stack. The biggest stack is in my shop, much of which is not online - yet. :nabble_smiley_wink:

The largest online stack. The biggest stack is in my shop, much of which is not online - yet. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm sure this website has been a mammoth undertaking as it is! Gary, all of us who own one of these ridiculous trucks owe you immensely. Much of the work I did on it before I joined the forum could not have been done without it.

Anyway, back to the hose. In the documentation, there is one and only one pressure hose shown for all years models of the 460 equipped trucks. That part number is E3TZ-3A719-E. It interchanges to the hose I currently have. Problem is: it's different. The hose shown in the documentation bends to the front to reach the hose, and has a shorter metal pipe at the pump end. The hose I have looks like this: 20240321_175918.jpg.b56cbe75d9abf52c79dfe2a880d8ff79.jpg

It bend to the back and has a much longer metal pipe end. It matches the hose that came off the truck. Of course, it could have been replaced before. I'm unsure what to do at this point. Could I have missed an o ring in the pump fitting?

I'm sure this website has been a mammoth undertaking as it is! Gary, all of us who own one of these ridiculous trucks owe you immensely. Much of the work I did on it before I joined the forum could not have been done without it.

Anyway, back to the hose. In the documentation, there is one and only one pressure hose shown for all years models of the 460 equipped trucks. That part number is E3TZ-3A719-E. It interchanges to the hose I currently have. Problem is: it's different. The hose shown in the documentation bends to the front to reach the hose, and has a shorter metal pipe at the pump end. The hose I have looks like this:

It bend to the back and has a much longer metal pipe end. It matches the hose that came off the truck. Of course, it could have been replaced before. I'm unsure what to do at this point. Could I have missed an o ring in the pump fitting?

Also, while I was out there I figured I'd get some more pics of the truck.

20240321_175953.jpg.1c39b5da63b98e0fc416b1a7812ef8aa.jpg

20240321_180016.jpg.f92ca22aac6306999eb01d60c3712179.jpg

20240321_180057.jpg.e9b99f7a780c8ee8bbab18875d1e8e48.jpg

20240321_180057.jpg.e9b99f7a780c8ee8bbab18875d1e8e48.jpg

20240321_180118.jpg.e9f8d3aed317e225beb49fe168440cbe.jpg

Lots of junk in the bed...

20240321_180142.jpg.08d028c8743c99328af11266f2c23bfc.jpg

...and in the cab.