Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

The 4180c is actually 630 CFM.

I've also run a Holley 080457-s, an Edelbrock AVS 650 and currently a 750 CFM 4160 w/ Motorcraft electric choke and quick change secondary spring housing.

With the original 4180 and a stock cam, set straight up it would pull straight through the 5,800 redline and somewhere north of 6k.

The truck definitely wasn't out of breath at redline (4.10's & a T-19)

I'm getting tired of Holleys. Of course, I've never run a new one so that may be the problem. Chasing fuel leaks gets old.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the best carbs I found for a lot of applications was a Holley 4609 Ford PN C9AF-9510-U. It is a 735 CFM carburetor, essentially a 3310 (780 CFM) with umbrella primary boosters. Originally for the 1969 428 CJ engines. We had scored a batch of them as in 1970 they were only on Mustangs and were a new number hand choke version.

I put them on a number of different cars, including my dad's 1971 Lincoln Mark III in place of the Autolite 4300. Better throttle response and fuel economy.

Bill, what are "umbrella boosters"? I've never heard of those.

I'm getting tired of Holleys. Of course, I've never run a new one so that may be the problem. Chasing fuel leaks gets old.

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: I had a new one once - on a brand new 1969 Super Bee. First Holley after growing up on Carters & Rochesters. It isn't only the old ones that leak. That new one did, profusely.

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: I had a new one once - on a brand new 1969 Super Bee. First Holley after growing up on Carters & Rochesters. It isn't only the old ones that leak. That new one did, profusely.

I must be just plain lucky. I don't have the leaks and issues that I keep hearing of. but I am meticulous about rebuilds. extra clean gasket surfaces etc. do not use sharp metal tools to remove old gaskets. for the same reason the dentist says not to do that with your teeth. I use wood. one weak link is the fuel crossover tube from the front bowl to the rear. the older ones used o rings and they are very finicky about the fit. assembling them with a touch of silicone grease does wonders. the newer ones have a much broader band type seal. like a cup with no bottom. big improvement.

I've already decided that if I get a new carb it won't be a Holley. I'm looking hard at the Summit M2008. But money is tight these days.

I must be just plain lucky. I don't have the leaks and issues that I keep hearing of. but I am meticulous about rebuilds. extra clean gasket surfaces etc. do not use sharp metal tools to remove old gaskets. for the same reason the dentist says not to do that with your teeth. I use wood. one weak link is the fuel crossover tube from the front bowl to the rear. the older ones used o rings and they are very finicky about the fit. assembling them with a touch of silicone grease does wonders. the newer ones have a much broader band type seal. like a cup with no bottom. big improvement.

The crossover is the ONE thing I haven't had trouble with. But I always use some kind of lubricant to get them in. Without that I'd be amazed if it could even be done.

I'm told that it wasn't Holley's fault that the power valves blew frequently. That it was Chrysler's fault because they made Holley jet the carbs so lean that they had frequent backfires through the carb.

But I believe that the carb was poorly designed as it didn't have a check valve to prevent the power valve from blowing out. In fact, it wasn't until many years later, from what I've been told that, they fixed that design flaw. In addition it wasn't until somewhere about then that they discontinued the cork bowl gaskets that shrank and then leaked. And yes, the o-rings on the transfer tube had to be lubed or they'd leak badly - and you discovered that the first time you had to replace the power valve - soon after buying the vehicle.

So you can imagine how thrilled I was with my new Holley. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I'm told that it wasn't Holley's fault that the power valves blew frequently. That it was Chrysler's fault because they made Holley jet the carbs so lean that they had frequent backfires through the carb.

But I believe that the carb was poorly designed as it didn't have a check valve to prevent the power valve from blowing out. In fact, it wasn't until many years later, from what I've been told that, they fixed that design flaw. In addition it wasn't until somewhere about then that they discontinued the cork bowl gaskets that shrank and then leaked. And yes, the o-rings on the transfer tube had to be lubed or they'd leak badly - and you discovered that the first time you had to replace the power valve - soon after buying the vehicle.

So you can imagine how thrilled I was with my new Holley. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Holley didn't add the check ball until 1992. That means that ZERO factory Holleys had the check ball. None. Why Holley has such a stellar reputation among the performance world I'll never figure out. Not saying they're bad, though. When they run they run great. But, I see less problems likely to put you on the side of the road with say an Edelbrock.

Holley didn't add the check ball until 1992. That means that ZERO factory Holleys had the check ball. None. Why Holley has such a stellar reputation among the performance world I'll never figure out. Not saying they're bad, though. When they run they run great. But, I see less problems likely to put you on the side of the road with say an Edelbrock.

We are of like minds. :nabble_smiley_good: