Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

AVS is not AFB....

Gary is a fan and knows both of them in & out.

Aluminum Four Barrel vs Air Valve Secondary. The AVS was a redesigned AFB with the main advantage being that you could adjust the air valve easily and w/o taking the carb apart. In fact, exactly the same way as adjusting a Q-Jet.

My '58 Chevy w/a 348 came with a Will Carter Four Barrel. The AFB came out soon after that and was the go-to carb for hot rodders for about a decade. My first '69 Super Bee, which had the 330 HP 383, came with a Holley, but my second Bee with the 335 HP 383 came with an AVS. Chrysler was using Holleys on the pedestrian engines in '69 but the "hot" engines got Carters, with the Hemi getting a couple of AFB's IIRC.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aluminum Four Barrel vs Air Valve Secondary. The AVS was a redesigned AFB with the main advantage being that you could adjust the air valve easily and w/o taking the carb apart. In fact, exactly the same way as adjusting a Q-Jet.

My '58 Chevy w/a 348 came with a Will Carter Four Barrel. The AFB came out soon after that and was the go-to carb for hot rodders for about a decade. My first '69 Super Bee, which had the 330 HP 383, came with a Holley, but my second Bee with the 335 HP 383 came with an AVS. Chrysler was using Holleys on the pedestrian engines in '69 but the "hot" engines got Carters, with the Hemi getting a couple of AFB's IIRC.

Yes the Hemi had 2 Carters. I remember those days well...

Hagerty requires you to have a covered, although maybe not enclosed, place to store the vehicle. And to state that you don't drive it daily. But there's no requirement to give them odometer readings on an annual basis.

And I have full coverage. Fire, theft, collision, etc. I did get a reduction for having a security system, although I'm not sure I did for the dashcam, meaning the front/rear cameras & the GPS system that tracks where the thing goes and takes video while it is running.

Gary - Just had a call back from Hagerty. They cannot insure Big Bro:

• I sometimes carry stock (a trailer is also considered as carrying material);

• Big Bro can be out of home more than 3 days (we sometimes go to our chalet and could stay there a week or two).

I suppose that Hagerty's US coverage rules are different than here in QC.

Hagerty requires you to have a covered, although maybe not enclosed, place to store the vehicle. And to state that you don't drive it daily. But there's no requirement to give them odometer readings on an annual basis.

And I have full coverage. Fire, theft, collision, etc. I did get a reduction for having a security system, although I'm not sure I did for the dashcam, meaning the front/rear cameras & the GPS system that tracks where the thing goes and takes video while it is running.

Gary - Just had a call back from Hagerty. They cannot insure Big Bro:

• I sometimes carry stock (a trailer is also considered as carrying material);

• Big Bro can be out of home more than 3 days (we sometimes go to our chalet and could stay there a week or two).

I suppose that Hagerty's US coverage rules are different than here in QC.

Maybe. But maybe I'm not staying within the requirements as I sure don't keep the trips down to 3 days. But I'm pretty sure that wasn't a requirement when I went with them.

As far as the power steering is concerned, I've got the truck jacked up and tried to bleed the system again. One of my coworkers, who used to be a Ford dealership mechanic, said that sometimes air in the system can cause it to blow the fluid out. He said what they used to do at the dealership was to turn it lock to lock several times, then leave it for several hours while at one lock. I left it over night, so we'll see how it goes.

Have you resolved your PS fluid leaking issues ? Was it just the hose connection ?

I wanted to report I had some PS puking issues on my 460 bronco build and now I've resolved it since I've found a method that works well to bleed it. The puking I was seeing was through the reservoir lid.

Engine needs to be fully warm and also the PS fluid (Type F ATF). With the engine running and fluid fully warm, open the reservoir, you should hear gurgling noise and see the fluid rushing... pour PS fluid until the gurgling noise goes away. Close the reservoir. Then cycle the steering a few times, the fluid level will go down if there is air in the system and there should be gurgling noise again, pour fluid again until the gurgling noise goes away. Keep doing this until the fluid level doesn't go down.

After doing this the pump is a lot quieter and there is no more puking, despite the fact that I added a lot of PS fluid in the process.

Have you resolved your PS fluid leaking issues ? Was it just the hose connection ?

I wanted to report I had some PS puking issues on my 460 bronco build and now I've resolved it since I've found a method that works well to bleed it. The puking I was seeing was through the reservoir lid.

Engine needs to be fully warm and also the PS fluid (Type F ATF). With the engine running and fluid fully warm, open the reservoir, you should hear gurgling noise and see the fluid rushing... pour PS fluid until the gurgling noise goes away. Close the reservoir. Then cycle the steering a few times, the fluid level will go down if there is air in the system and there should be gurgling noise again, pour fluid again until the gurgling noise goes away. Keep doing this until the fluid level doesn't go down.

After doing this the pump is a lot quieter and there is no more puking, despite the fact that I added a lot of PS fluid in the process.

Not yet sure if it is resolved-but I did find the problem. It was leaking out the pressure fitting on the pump. I haven't had a chance to mess with the truck lately, so I'm not sure if tightening the fitting worked. We'll see.

Not yet sure if it is resolved-but I did find the problem. It was leaking out the pressure fitting on the pump. I haven't had a chance to mess with the truck lately, so I'm not sure if tightening the fitting worked. We'll see.

Ok so problem is NOT solved. Tightening the fitting slowed it down but it still leaks terribly. Bigger problem: I can't get the truck to idle right. I've tried a holley and edelbrock but to no avail. Idle vacuum is around 15 to 18 in/hg. Intake is installed using Scotty's method of putting rtv on the gaskets, so no leaks there I'm sure. Timing is set at 14 initial. Idle mixture screws work.

On the bright side: I do NOT have a rear main leak! 🎊 🎉 :nabble_anim_claps:

It was the bolt.

Ok so problem is NOT solved. Tightening the fitting slowed it down but it still leaks terribly. Bigger problem: I can't get the truck to idle right. I've tried a holley and edelbrock but to no avail. Idle vacuum is around 15 to 18 in/hg. Intake is installed using Scotty's method of putting rtv on the gaskets, so no leaks there I'm sure. Timing is set at 14 initial. Idle mixture screws work.

On the bright side: I do NOT have a rear main leak! 🎊 🎉 :nabble_anim_claps:

It was the bolt.

Did you clean everything off and run it for 30 seconds?

The other option is UV dye and have someone else start it while you look..