Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

When I've run it for a while, there's a little bit of oil coming straight down from the middle of the engine, on the spacer plate thing.

It may sound stupid, but check the oil pressure sender at the back of the intake manifold.

I got caught out by this once. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I've run it for a while, there's a little bit of oil coming straight down from the middle of the engine, on the spacer plate thing.

It may sound stupid, but check the oil pressure sender at the back of the intake manifold.

I got caught out by this once. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

That was my first thought, but no it's not leaking. I'm going to check the bolt. It just doesn't make sense for this rear main to be leaking. It's a John Kaase one piece, he designed it to overcome the problems with 460 rear mains, and I've never heard a bad word about them. As I said before, my machinist put it in, and he's the best in this area. If I'd put it in myself, I might suspect an error. (I put in 2 rear mains before pulling the engine and BOTH of them leaked worse than the original). As far as crank wear, not a chance. That journal looked perfectly fine and if it wasn't, the machinist would have noticed. I'll try to get in there soon. Just too much else going on.

Wow that's a lot of oil pressure when warm :nabble_smiley_scared:

If you didn't use thread sealer on that bolt, it is a leak possibility. Small but definite leak.

True rear main leaks can be large puddles after drive and oil loss of a quart in 100 miles. Mine was that bad. When I redid mine, I saw why it leaked. The seal halves were installed by someone flush with the block, instead of the customary 3/8 inch overlap.

I put that bolt in and know for a fact that I didn't put anything on it. Didn't even think of it. As for the oil pressure, yeah that's pretty high. I have a high volume pump, but it's supposed to be standard pressure.

I put that bolt in and know for a fact that I didn't put anything on it. Didn't even think of it. As for the oil pressure, yeah that's pretty high. I have a high volume pump, but it's supposed to be standard pressure.

OK hope that fixes it. You would think a threaded bolt would hold oil, but capillary action is powerful.

I'll recommend what Jim introduced me to.. Loctite PST. I got the PST 592 which works wonderfully.

OK hope that fixes it. You would think a threaded bolt would hold oil, but capillary action is powerful.

I'll recommend what Jim introduced me to.. Loctite PST. I got the PST 592 which works wonderfully.

Maybe I'll get to it in a few days or next week. I'm trying to spend less time on this truck. I know that sounds weird, but I have more hours in it than even dollars. (Well above 20k at this point... no, I have no idea exactly WHERE 20k went, but it's there.)

Maybe I'll get to it in a few days or next week. I'm trying to spend less time on this truck. I know that sounds weird, but I have more hours in it than even dollars. (Well above 20k at this point... no, I have no idea exactly WHERE 20k went, but it's there.)

We are all in this together :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think of what I would do with all the time I had if I didn't have Truck projects. My trucks have kept me away from doing really stupid things. The only better way to use time would be with family and I do stay away from Trucks from time to time for that..

We are all in this together :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think of what I would do with all the time I had if I didn't have Truck projects. My trucks have kept me away from doing really stupid things. The only better way to use time would be with family and I do stay away from Trucks from time to time for that..

It's also just so expensive. I've got other projects going on all the time that aren't any cheaper than the truck, so I have to pick and choose. I don't have enough money for both at the same time. 'Specially that mower!

Well above 20k at this point... no, I have no idea exactly WHERE 20k went, but it's there.

Yep, that’s unfortunately the case of lot of us.

That’s the reason I am wondering why the resale value of a restored Bullnose isn’t higher than what the market allows now.

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Well above 20k at this point... no, I have no idea exactly WHERE 20k went, but it's there.

I figured it out on Big Blue. I found out that my insurance company at the time, State Farm, would give me a couple thousand for Big Blue, and "maybe more if I had comps". So I went looking for comps and Hagerty had them. I contacted them and they said they'd insure it for what I have in it, so I documented it. :nabble_money-mouth-face-23x23_orig: