Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure you have the right firing order and that the timing is on the compression stroke.

Yep....X2

If it were a Windsor I'd say the firing order (H.O. vs pre 85)

But is sounds like you have the dizzy 180 out.

Where is the rotor pointing when you're at TDC #1?

Yep....X2

I've resolved that already. Dizzy is correct and engine is not spewing fire out the carb. I set the dizzy with rotor pointing at #1 piston #1 up and intake valve just closed. It has backfired a couple of times, but that was due to starter fluid. Not concerned with power valve blowout, all my holleys have the protector ball. Also tried an Eddy with no success.

Yep....X2

I'm still thinking it has something to do with the antediluvian gas.

I'm still thinking it has something to do with the antediluvian gas.

I don't think old gas is going to cause a bad timing event.

Drain the bowls and fill them with fresh through the two vent stems

The engine should idle for at least a minute on that.

Screenshot_2024-02-06-04-14-21-235.jpeg.fc13633bb1fdecbfeb15155e1b983342.jpeg

I agree with Jim. If that doesn't work I still think you have a timing problem. At least I've had similar symptoms with timing problems - like being 180 out or having the wrong firing order.

But is it a bad timing event? I'm POSITIVE the timing is correct, AFA being 180 out and firing order, those have been triple checked. Maybe too far advanced? I could try moving the dizzy around while it's cranking. (I have a helper).

But is it a bad timing event? I'm POSITIVE the timing is correct, AFA being 180 out and firing order, those have been triple checked. Maybe too far advanced? I could try moving the dizzy around while it's cranking. (I have a helper).

Where does your light put you?

There are reasons I'm not interested in MSD.

First of which is that if my fuel and timing are good there's no way I should need to light it off three times.

Where does your light put you?

There are reasons I'm not interested in MSD.

First of which is that if my fuel and timing are good there's no way I should need to light it off three times.

Well, that's the problem. I don't know. Being that the MSD produces multiple sparks, a normal timing light can't read the timing. I set it to 14 degrees best I could, by aligning the balancer with the pointer at 14 degrees advance, and turn the dizzy till the rotor was at #1. Should be close enough to fire though.

Well, that's the problem. I don't know. Being that the MSD produces multiple sparks, a normal timing light can't read the timing. I set it to 14 degrees best I could, by aligning the balancer with the pointer at 14 degrees advance, and turn the dizzy till the rotor was at #1. Should be close enough to fire though.

Have you confirmed the balancer asnt slipped and that TDC #1 is at 0?

The first times the charm IMHO.

But with a Pertronix instead of DS-II you can't just rap the cap with a screwdriver to get a single pulse from the ignition.