Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

I don't think it was EPA.

You can ask Bill, but I think it's more about the fact that the chemicals are HIGHLY mutagenic and it burns like hell.

I'm thinking there was a good dose of dichloromethane and 1.1.1 trichloroethylene to cut through any oils as well as acids that chew through pitting and corrosion.

You had to be careful with leaving things too long because it would dissolve the zinc right out of brass and zamak.

Wow. Must've has some lawsuits or something. I use pinesol.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Must've has some lawsuits or something. I use pinesol.

It used to stink to high heaven but couldn't catch fire.

The stuff really lost its balls when the federal government banned methylene chloride and other chlorinated hydrocarbons back in 87.

The ozone hole was a big deal and there was an international treaty signed in Montreal.

There were caustics in there too.

Like sodium hydroxide (lye) that ate up all the pot metal + brass floats & jets if you weren't paying attention.😳

Same thing happened to paint strippers like Zip-Strip and Rock Miracle.

Totally worthless after that.....

I'm sure Bill could tell you stories from the Preston days

It used to stink to high heaven but couldn't catch fire.

The stuff really lost its balls when the federal government banned methylene chloride and other chlorinated hydrocarbons back in 87.

The ozone hole was a big deal and there was an international treaty signed in Montreal.

There were caustics in there too.

Like sodium hydroxide (lye) that ate up all the pot metal + brass floats & jets if you weren't paying attention.😳

Same thing happened to paint strippers like Zip-Strip and Rock Miracle.

Totally worthless after that.....

I'm sure Bill could tell you stories from the Preston days

Pinesol works good, but if you leave it too long it will eat away at the zinc. I've put carbs that were full of "the white death" in it and had them come out completely clean in just a couple of hours. It won't touch the really old hard ethanol though. I know of nothing that will. Also not good on aluminum.

Pinesol works good, but if you leave it too long it will eat away at the zinc. I've put carbs that were full of "the white death" in it and had them come out completely clean in just a couple of hours. It won't touch the really old hard ethanol though. I know of nothing that will. Also not good on aluminum.

At one aircraft maintenance shop I worked at we used MEK to clean fuel injectors.

MEK never used to bother me, then one day I went and got the injectors I was cleaning and the heated fumes got to me.

Now I can't stand the smell of MEK.

At one aircraft maintenance shop I worked at we used MEK to clean fuel injectors.

MEK never used to bother me, then one day I went and got the injectors I was cleaning and the heated fumes got to me.

Now I can't stand the smell of MEK.

Can't buy MEK or toluene any more either.

Now they have 'replacement! or 'equivalent' solvents.

Almost always based on acetone and/or ethyl acetate because for some crackhead reason these aren't considered VOC's.

Can't buy MEK or toluene any more either.

Now they have 'replacement! or 'equivalent' solvents.

Almost always based on acetone and/or ethyl acetate because for some crackhead reason these aren't considered VOC's.

Yeah, everyone I've talked to says the old stuff was better. It usually is.

Yeah, everyone I've talked to says the old stuff was better. It usually is.

Certainly not better for your health, or the environment. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

People didn't care as much back then...

They would spray their home (and thenselves!) with DDT.

Smoking was something your Dr. did, in the office, during your examination (also on planes, in hospitals & restaurants)

There was something to be said for dropping a carb in the basket before lunch and it being clean as a whistle a half hour later so you could get back to work.

Certainly not better for your health, or the environment. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

People didn't care as much back then...

They would spray their home (and thenselves!) with DDT.

Smoking was something your Dr. did, in the office, during your examination (also on planes, in hospitals & restaurants)

There was something to be said for dropping a carb in the basket before lunch and it being clean as a whistle a half hour later so you could get back to work.

All true.

• 2 weeks later...

All true.

Well, tried to start it today, and it didn't go well. I've got compression (not tested, but this is a brand new engine and I can feel it and hear it when turning it over), air, good spark, and fuel. I've put 4 different carbs on it. It pops out the headers, and makes a bunch of noise, but doesn't really try to turn over on its own. My only thought is that the gas is too old. I don't really know how old it is, but it's possibly 3.5 years old. Had some Stabil in it but guess that's only good for so long. Tried starter fluid, and it'll burn it, but won't crank up. Stumped.

Well, tried to start it today, and it didn't go well. I've got compression (not tested, but this is a brand new engine and I can feel it and hear it when turning it over), air, good spark, and fuel. I've put 4 different carbs on it. It pops out the headers, and makes a bunch of noise, but doesn't really try to turn over on its own. My only thought is that the gas is too old. I don't really know how old it is, but it's possibly 3.5 years old. Had some Stabil in it but guess that's only good for so long. Tried starter fluid, and it'll burn it, but won't crank up. Stumped.

Make sure you have the right firing order and that the timing is on the compression stroke.