Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

Problem was the ignition switch. I just pulled it back some it now it works fine. Problem now is that I don't have any oil pressure! :nabble_smiley_hurt: I put 6 quarts in the pan, and marked the stick accordingly, but after turning the engine over the oil isn't touching. I should have figured that would happen as I didn't prefill the oil filter. My setup is not stock. I have the oil filter relocated to the passenger side frame rail, with 4 hydraulic hoses carrying the oil from block to filter to cooler. I probably have more than 10 or 12 feet of 1/2" hydraulic hose, so that'll hold a good bit of oil. I'm going to try the drill trick with the dizzy out tomorrow. Thanks for all the help fellas!

Oil pressure if fine, but now it won't start! I have air fuel and spark, dizzy is not 180 out. It acts like it wants to crank as long for a few seconds but then quits when you let off the starter or if you just keep turning it. Starter fluid helps a little bit. It also keeps backfiring out the carb. Set the Holley on fire so I switched to an Edelbrock. Doing the same thing. I've tried rotating the dizzy and it seems to help but still no start. The only thing I can think of is the Msd unit. This is the first time I've used it so I'm not 100% positive that it works. It definitely has spark when you first try to crank it, but it kind of acts like the spark is falling out. The Msd box is an old analog 6al. It's being triggered by a Pertronix Ignitor 2 module. Tomorrow, I might try bypassing the Msd and running it just on the Pertronix. The only other thing I can think of is bad gas, as it's been in there for a looooooooooong time. It did have some Stabil in it though. Any ideas?

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oil pressure if fine, but now it won't start! I have air fuel and spark, dizzy is not 180 out. It acts like it wants to crank as long for a few seconds but then quits when you let off the starter or if you just keep turning it. Starter fluid helps a little bit. It also keeps backfiring out the carb. Set the Holley on fire so I switched to an Edelbrock. Doing the same thing. I've tried rotating the dizzy and it seems to help but still no start. The only thing I can think of is the Msd unit. This is the first time I've used it so I'm not 100% positive that it works. It definitely has spark when you first try to crank it, but it kind of acts like the spark is falling out. The Msd box is an old analog 6al. It's being triggered by a Pertronix Ignitor 2 module. Tomorrow, I might try bypassing the Msd and running it just on the Pertronix. The only other thing I can think of is bad gas, as it's been in there for a looooooooooong time. It did have some Stabil in it though. Any ideas?

You have HEI or DuraSpark?

Sounds like the white and red wires aren't crossed at the module.

(Yes. I know this is crazy, but true...)

You have HEI or DuraSpark?

Sounds like the white and red wires aren't crossed at the module.

(Yes. I know this is crazy, but true...)

Neither, it's a points unit with a Pertronix Ignitor 2. It is completing a couple of combustion cycles, and once it acted like it was going to run, but then fell flat.

Neither, it's a points unit with a Pertronix Ignitor 2. It is completing a couple of combustion cycles, and once it acted like it was going to run, but then fell flat.

is it continuously getting spark or is the spark fading away the longer you try to start it? it definitely sounds as if its weak spark or late spark. however, you are challenging yourself by trying to start off with multiple unknowns. the fuel can do this. how old? start back with basics like trickling in fresh fuel into the carb instead of off the pump. how cold is it? this time of year it's hard enough with a tuned engine to get the choke set correctly. is the choke set? how? etc. if you have access to a duraspark of even an hei that could narrow your path and then revisit the msd after all else is proven.

is it continuously getting spark or is the spark fading away the longer you try to start it? it definitely sounds as if its weak spark or late spark. however, you are challenging yourself by trying to start off with multiple unknowns. the fuel can do this. how old? start back with basics like trickling in fresh fuel into the carb instead of off the pump. how cold is it? this time of year it's hard enough with a tuned engine to get the choke set correctly. is the choke set? how? etc. if you have access to a duraspark of even an hei that could narrow your path and then revisit the msd after all else is proven.

Yeah it is a bunch of unknowns. I really don't know how old the fuel is, but possibly more than 2 years. :nabble_smiley_whistling: Going off instinct, the first thing I'm going to do is bypass the Msd and try running it on the Pertronix. I need to do that anyway to set the timing.

As far as the spark goes, I don't know yet. But I will say that when using starter fluid, it will not keep trying to crank. Just for a second when first turning it over.

As far as the spark goes, I don't know yet. But I will say that when using starter fluid, it will not keep trying to crank. Just for a second when first turning it over.

are any of the plugs getting wet from fuel?

are any of the plugs getting wet from fuel?

I pulled one earlier when verifying the position of the dizzy. It didn't seem particularly wet, but I wasn't paying attention. Had my boroscope in the plug hole and there definitely wasn't any gas pooled in the piston dish. It's DEFINITELY getting fuel. I already set one carb on fire. Starting to understand why Gary hates Holleys. Good old Leak-O-Matic.

I pulled one earlier when verifying the position of the dizzy. It didn't seem particularly wet, but I wasn't paying attention. Had my boroscope in the plug hole and there definitely wasn't any gas pooled in the piston dish. It's DEFINITELY getting fuel. I already set one carb on fire. Starting to understand why Gary hates Holleys. Good old Leak-O-Matic.

I cannot say the same. I happen to have had the best of experience with holleys. in fact, my custom built holley is the best one yet. but getting a volume of fuel means little if the fuel is not good. i am aware of one thing for sure. you say that you caused a fire. was it from a backfire? that sounds as if the ignition happened while the intake valve (s) were still open. potentially saying 180 degrees out.

I cannot say the same. I happen to have had the best of experience with holleys. in fact, my custom built holley is the best one yet. but getting a volume of fuel means little if the fuel is not good. i am aware of one thing for sure. you say that you caused a fire. was it from a backfire? that sounds as if the ignition happened while the intake valve (s) were still open. potentially saying 180 degrees out.

Yes it was from a backfire, but the dizzy is correctly placed. I had the valve covers off, turned it until the number 1 intake valve closed, and then to TDC. Then dropped dizzy with rotor pointing at number 1. As far as Holleys go, I know they are a good carb, or people wouldn't still be using them after however many decades. I had a "sure nuff" built 4180 that I wanted to put on the 460 but gave it to a friend who was I having carb problems on his 460. I'm just frustrated at how easily they leak.