Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes sense as a smaller venturi provides better vacuum signal and therefore (usually) better throttle response. They just achieved the same goal a different way. I've had to explain to people many times that bigger carb does not equal more fuel. An 850 double pumper on a mostly stock 302 in an F-150 is not a good idea. I know someone who did that and it ran like garbage.

I may just have to break down and find a new or newer carb. I love rebuilding carbs, and my mindset had always been "why buy a new one for $500 when you can find a used one for $20 and rebuild it". But, I'm now starting to understand why nobody does that anymore. I BLAME ETHANOL!

I may just have to break down and find a new or newer carb. I love rebuilding carbs, and my mindset had always been "why buy a new one for $500 when you can find a used one for $20 and rebuild it". But, I'm now starting to understand why nobody does that anymore. I BLAME ETHANOL!

I'm rebuilding carbs somewhat regularly. it happens every time we get one in that set too long. my only complaint is that it takes far more time for the "must be ordered" kit to arrive than it takes for me to do it. even I forget to run my standing vehicles often enough. sad to say but many who have these old carb vehicles that sit for extended periods have them fixed then put them back up and don't use stabilizer either.

I blame the "it can be tuned from the front seat with a laptop (or even a phone app) in real time"

Rather than the carb itself.

I used to have four boxes of Holley tuning parts!

Technology marches on.

Would try to design an emissions system around vacuum operated controls, to meet today's emissions standards?

For that matter (if fuel mileage didn't matter) it's a lot easier to make power with ethanol than gasoline.

You just have to make it at 9:1!

Look at any drag strip or race course.

Look back at the days of Gran Prix race cars making 1100 HP in qualifying trim.

Look at the fiery accidents, with no flames apparent.

The '70's were a great time to be young at Watkins Glen.

I blame the "it can be tuned from the front seat with a laptop (or even a phone app) in real time"

Rather than the carb itself.

I used to have four boxes of Holley tuning parts!

Technology marches on.

Would try to design an emissions system around vacuum operated controls, to meet today's emissions standards?

For that matter (if fuel mileage didn't matter) it's a lot easier to make power with ethanol than gasoline.

You just have to make it at 9:1!

Look at any drag strip or race course.

Look back at the days of Gran Prix race cars making 1100 HP in qualifying trim.

Look at the fiery accidents, with no flames apparent.

The '70's were a great time to be young at Watkins Glen.

yeah the invisible flame haunts me. I just don't like it.

yeah the invisible flame haunts me. I just don't like it.

I may play with it some more today. I've also got to figure out what's going on with the power steering. It's shooting out the pump end of the pressure line, but only when the wheel is turned. That would be because the line pressure is highest then.

I may play with it some more today. I've also got to figure out what's going on with the power steering. It's shooting out the pump end of the pressure line, but only when the wheel is turned. That would be because the line pressure is highest then.

you may have a mis match of parts. there were two or three different end fittings used across the years and the fitting which screws into the pump through the reservoir has to match it. some had a seal at the end, and some had an o ring in a groove.

you may have a mis match of parts. there were two or three different end fittings used across the years and the fitting which screws into the pump through the reservoir has to match it. some had a seal at the end, and some had an o ring in a groove.

Dead on Mat, Ford went to metric fittings with the O-rings in 1985. If any of the components are wrong (US vs Metric) making them seal becomes mission impossible.

Dead on Mat, Ford went to metric fittings with the O-rings in 1985. If any of the components are wrong (US vs Metric) making them seal becomes mission impossible.

But purchasing the correct pressure line solves all the problems, because the steering box didn't really change....💡