Bullnose Forums

85 460 dual tanks

Haystack

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously not...

The notations in the drawing suggest that those pages would show details or another view.

The next few pages show the fuel filler pipes and body openings for them, and then the 20 gallon outside-of-frame tank, but nothing I can see that shows the aft axle tank size or location.

The next few pages show the fuel filler pipes and body openings for them, and then the 20 gallon outside-of-frame tank, but nothing I can see that shows the aft axle tank size or location.

The section (A) above shows the rear tank and calls it out as 19 gallons.

Like has been said it's right close to the pumpkin.

Screenshot_2023-12-02-06-03-46-823.thumb.jpeg.3d567668f596004ccf013b91abef1e54.jpeg

They say "do not scale" but it's obvious that it fits between the flanges of the 34" frame.

Maybe "for dimensions not shown see page B44"?

We already know that the commercial chassis tank is 15.7" tall to the rollover valve.

The section (A) above shows the rear tank and calls it out as 19 gallons.

Like has been said it's right close to the pumpkin.

They say "do not scale" but it's obvious that it fits between the flanges of the 34" frame.

Maybe "for dimensions not shown see page B44"?

We already know that the commercial chassis tank is 15.7" tall to the rollover valve.

You guys are a riot.

I can't believe how much I formation there is on light locations, but none seem to call out the actual gas tank locations. I honestly am not sure if the tanks are plastic or not. It started a rain/snow mix for three days straight, so I did not feel like laying under it, but the next few days should be warmer and clear skies.

What dimensions should I look for? I can easily grab a tape measure and measure just about anything.

It does call out in that last diagram "plastic tank", I am going to see if they might have had different dimensions. Also curious if the saddle tank is plastic. I would feel much better about cleaning up the saddle tank and reusing it if it was just nasty gas rather then rusted out. I still don't even know why they bypassed the side tank to begin with, for all I know it's still functional.

You guys are a riot.

I can't believe how much I formation there is on light locations, but none seem to call out the actual gas tank locations. I honestly am not sure if the tanks are plastic or not. It started a rain/snow mix for three days straight, so I did not feel like laying under it, but the next few days should be warmer and clear skies.

What dimensions should I look for? I can easily grab a tape measure and measure just about anything.

It does call out in that last diagram "plastic tank", I am going to see if they might have had different dimensions. Also curious if the saddle tank is plastic. I would feel much better about cleaning up the saddle tank and reusing it if it was just nasty gas rather then rusted out. I still don't even know why they bypassed the side tank to begin with, for all I know it's still functional.

I've never seen a metal tank in one of these commercial chassis trucks. (that's not to say there never was one, I certainly learn something new every day)

That's why I've tagged Ralph, our resident long time counter monkey, to see what he has to say.

The 450 I dismembered definitely had a plastic mid-ship tank (I was standing on it!) but that was a '90's welding truck.

You can see the callout for 160"(?) WB with that tank.

I'd suspect the 6 port switch valve failed and it wasn't worth the nearly $400 Ford wanted for them to bother replacing it.

Like I said if you buy the right kit (electrically correct) you can find the Pollak valve on eBay for under $80 delivered.

You need to use the included pigtail and remove the plastic 'duckbill' style fuel line connectors, but they don't fail in my experience

I've never seen a metal tank in one of these commercial chassis trucks. (that's not to say there never was one, I certainly learn something new every day)

That's why I've tagged Ralph, our resident long time counter monkey, to see what he has to say.

The 450 I dismembered definitely had a plastic mid-ship tank (I was standing on it!) but that was a '90's welding truck.

You can see the callout for 160"(?) WB with that tank.

I'd suspect the 6 port switch valve failed and it wasn't worth the nearly $400 Ford wanted for them to bother replacing it.

Like I said if you buy the right kit (electrically correct) you can find the Pollak valve on eBay for under $80 delivered.

You need to use the included pigtail and remove the plastic 'duckbill' style fuel line connectors, but they don't fail in my experience

I saw this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1287129-1991-super-duty-rear-gas-tank.html talking about a '91 bucket truck with some dimensions for the aft of axle tank.

I'm not sure that the tank is the same (certainly not with a F0TA engineering number) but the distance between rails has been a standard as long as I've been alive.

And being designed for a '90 the bung should be correct for '85 on.

I saw this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1287129-1991-super-duty-rear-gas-tank.html talking about a '91 bucket truck with some dimensions for the aft of axle tank.

I'm not sure that the tank is the same (certainly not with a F0TA engineering number) but the distance between rails has been a standard as long as I've been alive.

And being designed for a '90 the bung should be correct for '85 on.

Good info, Jim. I’m out but when I get home I’ll see how to update the MPC with those #’s.

Good info, Jim. I’m out but when I get home I’ll see how to update the MPC with those #’s.

Jim - I'm struggling to know what to do about the C&C fuel tank. My issue is that I'm not seeing an entry in the MPC for them. What am I missing? Here's all of the fuel tank listings:

Fuel_Tanks_-_1.thumb.jpg.4b75986f97240720b2a2e21c4e80f7d2.jpgFuel_Tanks_-_2.jpg.d90d8a6541e0647679c9c32ae17fcd0d.jpgFuel_Tanks_-_3.jpg.741fd09f5b9aded9985f8d689e6d93e8.jpg

Jim - I'm struggling to know what to do about the C&C fuel tank. My issue is that I'm not seeing an entry in the MPC for them. What am I missing? Here's all of the fuel tank listings:

This is why I asked early on what the wheelbase is.

I think when you get down to the last 1/3 of the chart and start seeing 137 & 161" WB (Super Duty) is where you find these commercial vehicles with the heavy narrow frame.

I have to ask, is 'R' an incomplete vehicle opposed to an F-series with bed delete?

I do see one mention -86/88 R (Super Cab)- and a couple "w/ all rubber fuel fill system" or "w/ plastic fuel fill system"

Perhaps Haystack has:

80/ 250/350, F (Super Duty)-- E7TZ 9002-B Aft axle-plastic- 19gal, 20 gal. #E0TA 9104-CB, E8TA 9104-HA

This is why I asked early on what the wheelbase is.

I think when you get down to the last 1/3 of the chart and start seeing 137 & 161" WB (Super Duty) is where you find these commercial vehicles with the heavy narrow frame.

I have to ask, is 'R' an incomplete vehicle opposed to an F-series with bed delete?

I do see one mention -86/88 R (Super Cab)- and a couple "w/ all rubber fuel fill system" or "w/ plastic fuel fill system"

Perhaps Haystack has:

80/ 250/350, F (Super Duty)-- E7TZ 9002-B Aft axle-plastic- 19gal, 20 gal. #E0TA 9104-CB, E8TA 9104-HA

"R" is the little Ranger.

Perhaps Haystack can find some markings on his tank that will help us.