Bullnose Forums

Bucking issue under load?

I was feeling bad on Friday a couple of weeks ago but tested negative. On Sunday I tested again and within 2 minutes I had a bright red line saying "Dude, you have COVID!" So yes, you can easily test too early.

I got Paxlovid and it was a miracle drug. Worked very quickly but leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Glad to be through with it yesterday!

Hang in there and get well!

Good to hear the Paxlovid worked for you.

The wife told me to ask about Paxlovid and being we always listen to ours wives I did.

The Dr said I cant take it because of the 2 meds I am on for the rest of my life, so no need to ask again.

The wife could not take it this time because of the meds she is on from the procedure.

Dave ----

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was feeling bad on Friday a couple of weeks ago but tested negative. On Sunday I tested again and within 2 minutes I had a bright red line saying "Dude, you have COVID!" So yes, you can easily test too early.

I got Paxlovid and it was a miracle drug. Worked very quickly but leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Glad to be through with it yesterday!

Hang in there and get well!

Good to hear the Paxlovid worked for you.

The wife told me to ask about Paxlovid and being we always listen to ours wives I did.

The Dr said I cant take it because of the 2 meds I am on for the rest of my life, so no need to ask again.

The wife could not take it this time because of the meds she is on from the procedure.

Dave ----

Do you think the #4 plug fouling could be from the PCV?

It goes to a vacuum tree in the intake under and to the rear of the carb across from #4.

You can see the tree here

20170128_174735.jpg.37d9f6b025d78eacbd04da82a75132b0.jpg

I had a milk shake issue when first on the road but dont now.

I dont remember doing anything to fix that other than make sure the PCV had vacuum to it.

Yes it has a 195* stat and when I drive it it is 80 miles round trip to work & back and when 90*+ out should get up to temp to boil out any water.

So you think the PCV was the cause?

Dave ----

Do you think the #4 plug fouling could be from the PCV?

It goes to a vacuum tree in the intake under and to the rear of the carb across from #4.

You can see the tree here

I had a milk shake issue when first on the road but dont now.

I dont remember doing anything to fix that other than make sure the PCV had vacuum to it.

Yes it has a 195* stat and when I drive it it is 80 miles round trip to work & back and when 90*+ out should get up to temp to boil out any water.

So you think the PCV was the cause?

Dave ----

I changed the cap & rotor this morning. Again they did not look bad and even in sun light I only saw a little color of what looked like dry oil on the #4 plug tower.

It was hard and did not wipe off but other wise looked good.

Let the truck warm up good before making a trash run of maybe 10 miles.

I can not tell if the miss is still there or I am just thinking I feel it?

I am going to hold off on the pick up coil and put some miles on it then pull the plugs to see what they look like.

I have a Dr apt tomorrow, 10 miles each way?

Car show Saturday maybe 30 miles each way?

Plan on using the truck to / from work for the week just under 400 miles.

Dont think I have a show for that Saturday but have a cruise in that I need to pull the club trailer to 40 miles round trip.

That should be enough miles on the plugs and pulling the trailer that really started this bucking to show if something is not good.

​​​​​​​Thanks for every one's help

Dave ----

I changed the cap & rotor this morning. Again they did not look bad and even in sun light I only saw a little color of what looked like dry oil on the #4 plug tower.

It was hard and did not wipe off but other wise looked good.

Let the truck warm up good before making a trash run of maybe 10 miles.

I can not tell if the miss is still there or I am just thinking I feel it?

I am going to hold off on the pick up coil and put some miles on it then pull the plugs to see what they look like.

I have a Dr apt tomorrow, 10 miles each way?

Car show Saturday maybe 30 miles each way?

Plan on using the truck to / from work for the week just under 400 miles.

Dont think I have a show for that Saturday but have a cruise in that I need to pull the club trailer to 40 miles round trip.

That should be enough miles on the plugs and pulling the trailer that really started this bucking to show if something is not good.

​​​​​​​Thanks for every one's help

Dave ----

Glad things seem to be getting sorted out. But how are you and your wife feeling?

Glad things seem to be getting sorted out. But how are you and your wife feeling?

Thanks for asking

The both of us still have a cough, me more than her, but we both have gotten outof the house to day.

Me had to get my monthly eye injection and her a little food shopping.

If you see the time this is posted I could not sleep because of the cough :nabble_smiley_cry:

Put about 40 miles on the truck going to the eye doctor twice.

Forgot my wallet and they would not take me with out money.

Been going for 8 years now and always pay copay & balance but would not let me skip this time and I had no balance!

Truck ran great. Going the first time did 70 to 75 MPH just so I would not get run over, limit is 70.

Also some stop & go thrown in.

I have a car show today about 20 miles each way but will be at a slower pace as the others dont drive on the high way, no over drive like I have :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

Thanks for asking

The both of us still have a cough, me more than her, but we both have gotten outof the house to day.

Me had to get my monthly eye injection and her a little food shopping.

If you see the time this is posted I could not sleep because of the cough :nabble_smiley_cry:

Put about 40 miles on the truck going to the eye doctor twice.

Forgot my wallet and they would not take me with out money.

Been going for 8 years now and always pay copay & balance but would not let me skip this time and I had no balance!

Truck ran great. Going the first time did 70 to 75 MPH just so I would not get run over, limit is 70.

Also some stop & go thrown in.

I have a car show today about 20 miles each way but will be at a slower pace as the others dont drive on the high way, no over drive like I have :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave ----

Even having had the Paxlovid I still have a cough from time to time. But nothing that gets me up a 1:51 AM! Yikes! I hope that goes away pretty quickly.

But I will say that after the 1st round of COVID a year ago my chest was never quite the same. With weather changes or much exertion it got tight. Now, having had it a 2nd time, it is even tighter. Hope you don't have that.

Glad the truck is running so well! What do you think the problem was? Or was it a combination of a lot of things? Obviously the one plug was fouled, but even swapping it out didn't completely solve the problem - right?

When do you pull the trailer again?

Even having had the Paxlovid I still have a cough from time to time. But nothing that gets me up a 1:51 AM! Yikes! I hope that goes away pretty quickly.

But I will say that after the 1st round of COVID a year ago my chest was never quite the same. With weather changes or much exertion it got tight. Now, having had it a 2nd time, it is even tighter. Hope you don't have that.

Glad the truck is running so well! What do you think the problem was? Or was it a combination of a lot of things? Obviously the one plug was fouled, but even swapping it out didn't completely solve the problem - right?

When do you pull the trailer again?

This is the 2nd go round for the wife and I and I think this time it hit us a little harder.

Both of us went back to urgent care this morning because of our cough and keeping us up.

We are now both on different drugs then before that knock us out so we can sleep / rest as that is how you get better. It is my head and chest I feel pressure on this time. First time my smell got more refined I guess you would call it.

Between the knock out and 1 having Codeine in it I cant work as I drive a big rig. Work will be happy when I call out again tomorrow as I been out 2 weeks now.

On the truck I still feel this little miss every now and then at different times. I even used it to go to urgent care as I want to put miles on it testing.

Yes the plugs were a big help but at this time everything but the pickup coil has been changed / replaced so I am thinking the pickup has to be the issue now.

Depending how I feel in a day or 2 I may just swap it out as the last thing to do.

I pull the trailer on the 29th so if I dont swap the coil that would be the test.

Dave ----

This is the 2nd go round for the wife and I and I think this time it hit us a little harder.

Both of us went back to urgent care this morning because of our cough and keeping us up.

We are now both on different drugs then before that knock us out so we can sleep / rest as that is how you get better. It is my head and chest I feel pressure on this time. First time my smell got more refined I guess you would call it.

Between the knock out and 1 having Codeine in it I cant work as I drive a big rig. Work will be happy when I call out again tomorrow as I been out 2 weeks now.

On the truck I still feel this little miss every now and then at different times. I even used it to go to urgent care as I want to put miles on it testing.

Yes the plugs were a big help but at this time everything but the pickup coil has been changed / replaced so I am thinking the pickup has to be the issue now.

Depending how I feel in a day or 2 I may just swap it out as the last thing to do.

I pull the trailer on the 29th so if I dont swap the coil that would be the test.

Dave ----

It is a bummer that you can't take Paxlovid. It really really worked magic for me.

Hope you get over this quickly, but I still have a bit of a cough a week after getting "well", and my chest is still tight at times.

On the truck, hopefully the pickup will be the last problem.

It is a bummer that you can't take Paxlovid. It really really worked magic for me.

Hope you get over this quickly, but I still have a bit of a cough a week after getting "well", and my chest is still tight at times.

On the truck, hopefully the pickup will be the last problem.

Being I am recovering from Covid I pulled the log book from the truck.

I keep it to track MPG mostly, and I had a stack of papers to enter so I did that today.

I had 4 enters total, 2 in the 17's they I thought was pretty good just wish I knew how I did it?

1 at mid 16's and the last at mid 15's.

Most of the time i was in the 15 to 16 range and the last was when I had issues pulling the trailer even if not far so did not shock me much.

I then went to the first entry 10 - 20 - 2019 "first road test after rebuild" at 37,439.3

Then to the last fill up 10 - 12 - 2023 and 65,511.5

That was 4 years and 28,072.2 miles ago.

So was off a little on the miles of 10K to 15K in 4 years time :nabble_smiley_wink:

Guess she did need a tune up and I should do oil and grease too.

Dave ----

Being I am recovering from Covid I pulled the log book from the truck.

I keep it to track MPG mostly, and I had a stack of papers to enter so I did that today.

I had 4 enters total, 2 in the 17's they I thought was pretty good just wish I knew how I did it?

1 at mid 16's and the last at mid 15's.

Most of the time i was in the 15 to 16 range and the last was when I had issues pulling the trailer even if not far so did not shock me much.

I then went to the first entry 10 - 20 - 2019 "first road test after rebuild" at 37,439.3

Then to the last fill up 10 - 12 - 2023 and 65,511.5

That was 4 years and 28,072.2 miles ago.

So was off a little on the miles of 10K to 15K in 4 years time :nabble_smiley_wink:

Guess she did need a tune up and I should do oil and grease too.

Dave ----

I could not wait till the "real test" tomorrow. I used the truck last 2 days to / from work about 120 miles.

I could feel the miss more when the motor was cold and seen it run lean so I wanted to swap the pickup coil in the dist.

Well did not go good. It was a easy swap but the out come was really really bad.

As soon as you gave it throttle the motor bucked even worst than when pulling the trailer.

I have seen it posted others having problems when they replaced the coil so I think I am one of them now.

I also pulled all the plugs, #4 looked rich? #1 & #6 looked lean the rest looked good.

I tried to take a compression test the only gauge was a push in and the rubber was rock hard :nabble_smiley_cry: time to hit HF for new compression tester.

I got 90 psi with it not sealing so as a guess 120 or so but I call the compression good.

I swapped the 2 rich plugs for #1 & #6. lean plugs.

When swapping pickup's I seen the old unit had a gap between the coil and reluctor, and the plate the coil was on did not have the plastic pads so it flopped all over.

The new unit when installed the coil and reluctor were way to close (touching?) at the top and gap at bottom but the plate had the pads.

I think the 2 parts hitting is why it ran like crap and bucked.

My fix was to use the new plate with pads and the old coil. It came out with a nice gap and the plate did not flop around.

When I got the dist. installed, I marked everything so I did not have to use the a timing light.

It cranked over like the timing was way to advanced? I backed it off a bunch and it started but ran like crap but also way better than the bucking with the new coil as you could raise the RPM.

Timing light showed it was at 40* BTDC!!!! but no kick back on start up now but had a miss at idle and lean on the AFR.

I adjusted the timing to 15* BTDC and the idle miss went away and the AFR went to the rich side and I was ok with both.

I also checked the dist. advance, RPM it cam up with RPM but it was pretty high. Think that is what I worked it out with vacuum advance to stop pining.

Next was the vacuum advance and that was NG! No wonder why I was not getting any pinging with the new carb.

Port did not have vacuum when the RPM went up, nice china carb NOT!

I may rework the factory carb and put it back on stay tune on the carb.

The road test with out trailer went really good. I did not feel any miss on the run but will see with the trailer to

Dave ----

edit: I also checked for vacuum leaks, none found