Bullnose Forums

The Daughter’s ‘84

Atlas75

I checked the slave cylinder and it appears to be dry. I'm not sure why, but I never checked the clutch master cylinder fluid level when we bought the truck. It was quite low so I topped it off. I also noticed that the seal/boot under the cap was really distorted. I don't think it was making a seal between the master and the cap. I wonder if the fluid evaporated slowly over time? I tried the clutch both with the engine running and with it off. It seems to be functioning as it should now that the fluid level is good. I'll try to take it for a drive tomorrow and see what it does.

I don't think that glycol evaporates.

As a clutch wears the fluid should get higher, not lower.

But I'm really glad to hear that it's functioning now.

Do take a look at the master pushrod where it connects to the pedal arm, and have your daughter press the clutch while you look at the master from the engine bay to see if the firewall is giving out.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that glycol evaporates.

As a clutch wears the fluid should get higher, not lower.

But I'm really glad to hear that it's functioning now.

Do take a look at the master pushrod where it connects to the pedal arm, and have your daughter press the clutch while you look at the master from the engine bay to see if the firewall is giving out.

Brakes failed today. I crawled under the truck from front to back and couldn't find anything wet. So I went up top under the hood and the only thing I can find is some wheaping where the master cylinder mates to the booster. There is a 1" wide area under the master going down the booster. I'm guessing the master has gone bad. How does this affect the booster?

Brakes failed today. I crawled under the truck from front to back and couldn't find anything wet. So I went up top under the hood and the only thing I can find is some wheaping where the master cylinder mates to the booster. There is a 1" wide area under the master going down the booster. I'm guessing the master has gone bad. How does this affect the booster?

Unfortunately, brake fluid will eat the booster diaphragm.

Usually you will hear hissing under the dash.

Did you look carefully between the midship tank and the frame rail, and also where the hard line pokes through the crossmember to join the hose to the rear axle?

Rust through is most common in these areas.

Ideally these problems are easy to fix with the new copper/nickel line.