Bullnose Forums

The Daughter’s ‘84

Atlas75

I’d like to introduce the newest member of our bullnose family! It is a 1984 F250, 6.9L diesel, 4x4, T19 truck. My daughter has been looking for a truck for a while and this one fit the bill. It also has A/C! Anyway, here is a photo.

75DA941B-3BA1-4943-9C45-AC2B51DC3068.jpeg.78e65a17ad64f165f96fdf398afa4f1c.jpeg

We have a few things to work on before she can drive it to school but it runs, drives, and stops good so the basics are there. I think her truck is in better shape than mine! I like this photo because you can see my 1980 in the background.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an 83 in the exact same configuration! That thing is in great shape and I wish mine had AC. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Do the glow plugs work? :nabble_smiley_happy: Took me two days to hammer my PO's old ones out and put a push-button setup in my F250.

The glow plugs do seem to work. The PO replaced them shortly before we purchased the truck. This truck also has a push button for the glow plugs. I assume the controller is the issue as they frequently went bad. I plan to rebuild the factory system with a solid state controller and eliminate the push button.

The glow plugs do seem to work. The PO replaced them shortly before we purchased the truck. This truck also has a push button for the glow plugs. I assume the controller is the issue as they frequently went bad. I plan to rebuild the factory system with a solid state controller and eliminate the push button.

I had a 1988 F250 with the 7.3.

I finally went through the glow plug system, found burned connectors, bad glow plug connecters etc.

Got it working good.

One thing that really helped was I used a heavy duty appliance timer for the block heater, when it was cold I would have it come on two hours before I left for work.

If it was really cold, three hours. And use the OE block heater, they are good.

Also use good glow plugs, I think Beru was the brand then that was best.

The other glow plugs wouldn't last long and they would bulge on the end when they failed. Which made for nerve wracking removal, not wanting them to break off in the preignition chamber then going into the cylinder.

Here's an example of the timer, https://www.homedepot.com/p/TORK-15-Amp-24-Hour-Indoor-Plug-In-Heavy-Duty-Appliance-Timer-with-2-Outlet-Receptacles-White-RTN312/306607224

Where is everyone getting their vacuum hose and fittings for the heater controls? I have been researching the size and material but am coming up with varying answers. I need to do further testing but I am pretty certain there is a line or two that have leaks or have collapsed.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is everyone getting their vacuum hose and fittings for the heater controls? I have been researching the size and material but am coming up with varying answers. I need to do further testing but I am pretty certain there is a line or two that have leaks or have collapsed.

Will a Sterling 10.25 from a 1987 F250 bolt into an ‘84? A local yard has one with 3.55’s and limited slip. I think it would be better for highway speeds vs. the 4.10’s that are in it now. Thoughts?

Will a Sterling 10.25 from a 1987 F250 bolt into an ‘84? A local yard has one with 3.55’s and limited slip. I think it would be better for highway speeds vs. the 4.10’s that are in it now. Thoughts?

I think it should bolt in, but not sure. Someone will know.

I had 3.55's in my old 86 F250 and I really liked them. Always had 4.10's, that truck had no problem pulling with 3.55's and the 460.

I also think it will. But what are you going to do about the front? You can't use 4wd with two different ratios.

And on the vacuum line question, which I'd missed, I buy bulk vacuum line from the local parts store. But I don't remember what size. I cut into the line I'm replacing and determine the size by slipping a drill bit in.

• 2 weeks later...

I also think it will. But what are you going to do about the front? You can't use 4wd with two different ratios.

And on the vacuum line question, which I'd missed, I buy bulk vacuum line from the local parts store. But I don't remember what size. I cut into the line I'm replacing and determine the size by slipping a drill bit in.

I need a little help determining what the rear axel is in the ‘84 F250. The axel code on the door sticker is 72. That code does not have a listing for 1984 in the rear axel documentation on this site.

The Dana BOM number from the axel tag says 605205-7. That code comes back to a 1983 to 1985 1/2 Dana 70 from a chassis cab F350. The truck is not a chassis cab. It is a pickup.

So you can see the issue? The two pieces of info seem to conflict.