Bullnose Forums

Fuel pump???s

Lance912

I'm having fuel issues, the fuel pump that came on it is mounted on the wheel well. It has died, so I'm looking at new ones and all the ones that are popping up on my criteria for my truck are the mechanical ones. I thought those went on the V8s and where that one should go, there are bolt holes but nothing for the arm to go in. Is there a way for me to know exactly which one is supposed to go on my truck? like by VIN# or something? Thanks

300 inline six? You might have to take some photos. I wonder if you have an EFI block and the previous owner worked around it?

Yes on the 300, what would you like a picture of to help identify my issue? I think a lot of things have been worked around to be honest!

Yes on the 300, what would you like a picture of to help identify my issue? I think a lot of things have been worked around to be honest!

Did your truck function well with the old aftermarket fuel pump?

Would you consider just replacing it, rather than reverting to stock?

Do you have dual tanks? Switch on left of climate control?

And does this one pump function with both tanks (i.e. is there a switching valve involved)

A picture of the pump in place and the wiring going to it would help.

And does this one pump function with both tanks (i.e. is there a switching valve involved)

Single tank, seemed to work ok with the one that was on there. It just quit working and I need to replace it but everywhere I look, it keeps saying I need the one that goes on the block. Could there one in the fuel tank?

Single tank, seemed to work ok with the one that was on there. It just quit working and I need to replace it but everywhere I look, it keeps saying I need the one that goes on the block. Could there one in the fuel tank?

Not really.

As the other Jim said there should be a mechanical pump on the engine.

If your truck had a pump in the tank it would have to have a four wire connector on the tank bung.

This is why you can't find an electric fuel pump in that application.

The only '85 trucks that would have an in-tank pump would be the 5.0l EFI and 7.5 with Hot Fuel Handling.

Here's a schematic showing how single and dual tank 4.9's were set up.

2630970_orig.thumb.jpg.f74d89e2538d1156aade8a4a13c8c15c.jpg

If your truck ran well before I'd think your best bet is to replace the retrofitted pump with one similar.

Not really.

As the other Jim said there should be a mechanical pump on the engine.

If your truck had a pump in the tank it would have to have a four wire connector on the tank bung.

This is why you can't find an electric fuel pump in that application.

The only '85 trucks that would have an in-tank pump would be the 5.0l EFI and 7.5 with Hot Fuel Handling.

Here's a schematic showing how single and dual tank 4.9's were set up.

If your truck ran well before I'd think your best bet is to replace the retrofitted pump with one similar.

Thanks for the input, gonna try another inline one to see if that works

IMG_9390.jpg.a25992da9be7a68a9f83c61f5bd4aea5.jpg So I got the fuel pump working as it should except now fuel is flowing out of the circled fitting( never done that before) I have no idea what goes there because it was not there when purchased. Any suggestions

So I got the fuel pump working as it should except now fuel is flowing out of the circled fitting( never done that before) I have no idea what goes there because it was not there when purchased. Any suggestions

You've circled the evaporative emissions bowl vent that should be connected by a purge valve to the charcoal canister.

The float is stuck or the pump is putting out more than 5psi..

Do you need to pass visual emissions where you live?