Bullnose Forums

Replacing a turn switch

IowaTom

Some have de-pinned the connector go get the cable out. BUT, if you do make SURE you take really good pics and written notes about what wire goes where. There are differences from year to year in the wiring and it is a big pain to figure out how it should be wired for your truck.

Thanks Gary. Yet another layer of onion. Well, if I've got to then I'll take your advice and take my time.

Hoping this doesn't have to be done again - in my lifetime, at least!

Thanks Gary. Yet another layer of onion. Well, if I've got to then I'll take your advice and take my time.

I'm not sure you have to as I've not had to do it. But some other who have done it found it easiest to de-pin. However, one such spent months trying to figure out why things didn't work, only to discover he was off one hole on one pin. Fixed that and everything worked.

I'm not sure you have to as I've not had to do it. But some other who have done it found it easiest to de-pin. However, one such spent months trying to figure out why things didn't work, only to discover he was off one hole on one pin. Fixed that and everything worked.

I saw some Youtube videos of people doing horrible things to their wiring and trying to force the connector through parts of the column etc. De-pinning is the way to go!

I depinned mine on my old 86.

Take pictures, draw a picture with wire colors and location. The EVTM is helpful.

Some have de-pinned the connector go get the cable out. BUT, if you do make SURE you take really good pics and written notes about what wire goes where. There are differences from year to year in the wiring and it is a big pain to figure out how it should be wired for your truck.

Another in the de-pin camp (not that Tom needs to hear the consensus)

Just take a picture and be methodical.

Got my new switch today and wondering where I need to carefully jam something sharp to get these pins out.

You have to remove the red "keeper" to allow removal of the pins. Then you'll be able to see a tab that protrudes out of each pin that keeps the pin from coming out the back. If you insert a very slender tool from the front to push that tab in then the pin will come out.