Bullnose Forums

WHY??

C.Jett

1985 F150 powersteering flood. Placed truck on jack stands, removed wheels to clean and paint to install shocks. Turned wheels to the right,did cleaning,turned to the left to finish cleaning and powersteering fluid goes everywhere. WHY?? It came out of the top of reservoir. CJ

Because. Because you have a C-II power steering pump. Because Ford cheaped out on them. Because you should install a Saginaw pump. Because.

Seriously, that is a known problem with the C-II pump. If you turn the wheel with the engine off it sprays fluid through the itty bitty vent hole in the cap all over the engine compartment. Been there and had the mess to prove it.

Because. Because you have a C-II power steering pump. Because Ford cheaped out on them. Because you should install a Saginaw pump. Because.

Seriously, that is a known problem with the C-II pump. If you turn the wheel with the engine off it sprays fluid through the itty bitty vent hole in the cap all over the engine compartment. Been there and had the mess to prove it.

Yup, I did that too! :nabble_smiley_blush:

Yup.

These trucks have their idiosyncrasies.

90% are going to have atf and dust caked all over the underside of the hood on the driver's side.

Yup.

These trucks have their idiosyncrasies.

90% are going to have atf and dust caked all over the underside of the hood on the driver's side.

Thanks Guys, understand now, but how do I explain to wife it’s Ford’s fault the driveway is a mess? Don’t let me down now. Lord Mr. Ford ! CJ

Gary,

I still pine longingly for the Saginaw, but the c2 is running fine….for the moment.

Gary, the humorous part of this is my Chrysler Lebaron. Most of the K-cars and their "offspring" use a Saginaw pump. On a 4 cyl engine it is a big beast and is a royal PITA to remove or replace without taking other parts off first.

The J body Lebarons seem to have, at least on the turbo models, used a ZF pump that is considered "non-serviceable". They are available rebuilt and are fairly easy to convert to a remote reservoir if desired. The other nice difference is belt tension adjustments. The Saginaw has a tab with a 1/2" square hole so adjusting the belt tension is a two handed job, the ZF has a nice threaded adjusting link so it can be easily done with one hand.