Bullnose Forums

Ski Boat with a 302

ratdude747

It would be good if he could get a photo of the list# and date code from the front of the choke horn.

I've worked on more than a few marine engines (that's where I first spotted my valve covers) but I'm no marine mechanic.

Yes, I do think your electric choke will swap right over, but keep in mind Ford specific (Motorcraft) carbs are set up for 7V from the stator wire.

If Larry's (spark arrestor equipped) marine alternator doesn't have an external stator stud, that may complicate installation.

Also, there is a marine specific Holley 12V electric choke (45-258 2300)

I've tagged Bill. 😉

I don't think this is a Ford-specific Holley, but don't know for sure.

Larrys_To-Be_Carbs_List_.thumb.jpg.0ae70d4d7c590b46fffee50d65f68651.jpgChoke.thumb.jpg.66c30746e23c41d5a0ffe264e5b09232.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12V choke and no external bowl vents with "Holley for Motorcraft" says it isn't a 4180, but I was asking about Larry's carb with the symmetrical horn on the secondary side.

Looking at the carb, he only has pictures of the choke side. One thing jumped out at me, the lever with the ball on it. I will bet that carburetor came off a Super Duty truck engine (401, 477 or 534) those have a centrifugal governor that is mechanically linked to the throttle shaft.

All the Marine Holleys I have seen had either a linked pair of vents or vents that "looped" so the open end pointed down. Here is a link to 4 barrels: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/marine_carburetors/

Ignition systems were generally sealed somewhat, many were Prestolite.

On a side note, I have an idea for a good high output ignition system that hopefully can be triggered with a DS-I or DS-II distributor (it would still need the large cap and rotor but use a E-core coil and no ballast resistor. If you or someone else has a DOA DS-II box (can even be aftermarket). The issue will be if a DS-II pickup will trigger the module, I know a Chrysler pickup will as that is what is used on MGs and Jaguars.

Looking at the carb, he only has pictures of the choke side. One thing jumped out at me, the lever with the ball on it. I will bet that carburetor came off a Super Duty truck engine (401, 477 or 534) those have a centrifugal governor that is mechanically linked to the throttle shaft.

All the Marine Holleys I have seen had either a linked pair of vents or vents that "looped" so the open end pointed down. Here is a link to 4 barrels: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/marine_carburetors/

Ignition systems were generally sealed somewhat, many were Prestolite.

On a side note, I have an idea for a good high output ignition system that hopefully can be triggered with a DS-I or DS-II distributor (it would still need the large cap and rotor but use a E-core coil and no ballast resistor. If you or someone else has a DOA DS-II box (can even be aftermarket). The issue will be if a DS-II pickup will trigger the module, I know a Chrysler pickup will as that is what is used on MGs and Jaguars.

Bill - I'll see if I have a bad DS-II box. I think I have the one that was on BB when I got him and it doesn't consistently retard the spark when starting. If I kept it I'll send it to you - along with all the other stuff I have for you.

It would be good if he could get a photo of the list# and date code from the front of the choke horn.

I've worked on more than a few marine engines (that's where I first spotted my valve covers) but I'm no marine mechanic.

Yes, I do think your electric choke will swap right over, but keep in mind Ford specific (Motorcraft) carbs are set up for 7V from the stator wire.

If Larry's (spark arrestor equipped) marine alternator doesn't have an external stator stud, that may complicate installation.

Also, there is a marine specific Holley 12V electric choke (45-258 2300)

I've tagged Bill. 😉

It's almost certainly not a marine carb. An old automotive carb that was slapped on there. No flame arrestor or anything. No offense to the passed, but a hillbilly install. But, the IN boating manual only called out the flame arrestor as the propulsion part legally mandated (and even then, only on federal waters like the Ohio river). To be legal I need to have flares, a fire extinguisher, and an air horn (portable) too. And a replacement all-around light if I get caught before dark (the stern socket is there, standard 2-prong)

I took pics of the carb last night but due to a hellish work schedule and the like I haven't had a good chance to post them.

One part of the casting by the horn is marked "8132 68221". The other side of the carb is marked "7136 68221". No other tags. Edit- wrong numbers... I'll have to give it another look.

Sounds like I need to replace the carb then... unless I want to blow it up. Free for a reason.

Edit- I may pull the carb off before I leave for the show tomorrow and bring it with. If nothing else, as tradebait.

I've also done the first bit of rewiring, in this case to allow for a Pertronics Ignitor II upgrade (a lot of the pics are that). I also will be looking to put in new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. But, sierra marine has the rotor backlogged and I don't know if there's anything automotive that'll crossreference. The wires can't be automotive (marine wires are longer due to the bulky exhuast manifolds) and I can probably run auto plugs since I'm not running in salt water (I read external coatings are the only thing special about marine plugs).

It's almost certainly not a marine carb. An old automotive carb that was slapped on there. No flame arrestor or anything. No offense to the passed, but a hillbilly install. But, the IN boating manual only called out the flame arrestor as the propulsion part legally mandated (and even then, only on federal waters like the Ohio river). To be legal I need to have flares, a fire extinguisher, and an air horn (portable) too. And a replacement all-around light if I get caught before dark (the stern socket is there, standard 2-prong)

I took pics of the carb last night but due to a hellish work schedule and the like I haven't had a good chance to post them.

One part of the casting by the horn is marked "8132 68221". The other side of the carb is marked "7136 68221". No other tags. Edit- wrong numbers... I'll have to give it another look.

Sounds like I need to replace the carb then... unless I want to blow it up. Free for a reason.

Edit- I may pull the carb off before I leave for the show tomorrow and bring it with. If nothing else, as tradebait.

I've also done the first bit of rewiring, in this case to allow for a Pertronics Ignitor II upgrade (a lot of the pics are that). I also will be looking to put in new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. But, sierra marine has the rotor backlogged and I don't know if there's anything automotive that'll crossreference. The wires can't be automotive (marine wires are longer due to the bulky exhuast manifolds) and I can probably run auto plugs since I'm not running in salt water (I read external coatings are the only thing special about marine plugs).

Please look at Gary's pic of the air horn above.

9834-3 is the list number (this is Holley's application code)

The date code is 291st day of year 5 (could be 75, 85, 95, 05....)

I am interested in why that horn sticks up in the back.

Please look at Gary's pic of the air horn above.

9834-3 is the list number (this is Holley's application code)

The date code is 291st day of year 5 (could be 75, 85, 95, 05....)

I am interested in why that horn sticks up in the back.

In the boat at 1am...

IMG_20230914_005243.thumb.jpg.0ab8b49e6962fc8e6766d1151d10bd12.jpg

IMG_20230914_005010.thumb.jpg.ff5cf478c039ec7a59d0ecea2b1cab65.jpg

Carb is off. Markings are d4he-9510-ca, list 6822-1. 1974 ford... clearly not Marine!

Looks like I get to go bankrupt on a $600+ marine carb. Almost as cheap to put a marine sniper on it. But I dunno if I have enough spare 12v and it'd be a complete fuel system rework. Nah...

Edit: found another tag, this one from Ford:

16946680116982219721557271087180.thumb.jpg.9b3e2e25f3265c4f3a1d59dfd630e988.jpg

In the boat at 1am...

Carb is off. Markings are d4he-9510-ca, list 6822-1. 1974 ford... clearly not Marine!

Looks like I get to go bankrupt on a $600+ marine carb. Almost as cheap to put a marine sniper on it. But I dunno if I have enough spare 12v and it'd be a complete fuel system rework. Nah...

Edit: found another tag, this one from Ford:

I didn't mean right now. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

My buddy Tommy is a retired/disabled marine mechanic.

Even he has no idea what all the stuff he has in his shed.

Let me see if I can get over to his place this weekend.

I didn't mean right now. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

My buddy Tommy is a retired/disabled marine mechanic.

Even he has no idea what all the stuff he has in his shed.

Let me see if I can get over to his place this weekend.

No, but I leave town tomorrow morning for Gary's show (and a buddy in MO before that). And I want to take the carb to the show (since if it's useless to me, might as well rehome it).

Found the "correct" carb for it... $1000: https://www.holley.com/products/marine_and_powersports/marine/marine_carburetors/parts/0-80364

Yeah, I better hope for a used unit. Heck, that's not far off a marine sniper EFI for the same setup:

https://www.holley.com/products/marine_and_powersports/marine/sniper_efi_marine/sniper_efi_4150_marine/parts/550-510

(although that'd be a lot of fuel system mods... and no idea how/if an O2 sensor would fit there).

Maybe look for a used carb?