Bullnose Forums

Ski Boat with a 302

ratdude747

I think marine relays are to be sealed like the starters, etc. Don’t want to ignite a bilge full of gasoline fumes.

My OMC used 4 of those for trim/tilt and another for starting, and they went out frequently and cost quite a bit more than an automotive unit.

Ah. The Bosch relays I have are supposedly good for up to 40A and do appear to be sealed.

The starter is is a very new looking MES:

IMG_20230930_111709.jpg.a692783b097168659f97c6d44fb6a87c.jpg

The starter relay is a big pain to access... ugh. No thanks. Also I confirmed run is hot in start, but I'll leave my wiring for now as I get the idea the ignition switch is a tad crunchy and isolating the ignition from such isn't a bad thing?

Edit: supposedly a Windsor PMGR solenoid draws 42A initially and 16A continuous... wonderful. Maybe buy and remote mount a newer relay? Or find a way to access the existing relay better?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah. The Bosch relays I have are supposedly good for up to 40A and do appear to be sealed.

The starter relay is a big pain to access... ugh. No thanks. Also I confirmed run is hot in start, but I'll leave my wiring for now as I get the idea the ignition switch is a tad crunchy and isolating the ignition from such isn't a bad thing?

Edit: supposedly a Windsor PMGR solenoid draws 42A initially and 16A continuous... wonderful. Maybe buy and remote mount a newer relay? Or find a way to access the existing relay better?

The "test" page that came with my PMGR reflects those numbers pretty well (44A to pull, 13A to hold IIRC)

Gary has that info posted somewhere.

If you intend to replace your crunchy ignition switch it might be a good idea to wire in a more accessible relay.

You definitely don't want a be running 40A+ through a key switch.

One place I've found that has great service and quality components is Texas Industrial Electric.

You might check out their selection.

The "test" page that came with my PMGR reflects those numbers pretty well (44A to pull, 13A to hold IIRC)

Gary has that info posted somewhere.

If you intend to replace your crunchy ignition switch it might be a good idea to wire in a more accessible relay.

You definitely don't want a be running 40A+ through a key switch.

One place I've found that has great service and quality components is Texas Industrial Electric.

You might check out their selection.

Ah. I was rounding what I found online. I've heard supposedly Bosch makes a pin-compatible relay that can handle the load better... for now it works for shore testing.

Speaking of which, the ignition parts came in. Coil is a dud and oil filled, so I'm using the old one for now. But the solid state pickup is good!

But, I was able to make it run:

(Yeah I was too excited).

There are issues:

-Leaking fuel at the carb inlet. Bad hose clamp... my bad for not replacing it.

-Will not idle, 1200 RPM is as low as it will run. 10 year old fuel a culprit?

-Coil got a bit hot. DC resistance is 5.5 ohms... but I was going to swap it anyway. Oil filled.

-Not getting water flow out the outdrive. Water did make it to the manifolds (per opening one of the drains). Lots of leakage at the muffs when not running... like it's blocked? Probably needs an impeller now if it didn't already.

I do hope it is a Marine grade starter, they are sealed so they can't spark and ignite fumes in the bilge.

I do hope it is a Marine grade starter, they are sealed so they can't spark and ignite fumes in the bilge.

Given that the brand "serves the marine industry", put a 5 year warranty on the unit, and has an anchor (not a propeller, I misremembered) in the logo, I'd be inclined to say it is.

Looks like I can get a generic "ford marine starter relay" for $15 or less on Amazon... option exists. I dunno...

Edit: Supposedly these are good for up to 60A:

https://temcoindustrial.com/bosch-style-automotive-relay-cn0171-1-qty-12-v-60-80-amp-spdt/

Not sealed though...

Given that the brand "serves the marine industry", put a 5 year warranty on the unit, and has an anchor (not a propeller, I misremembered) in the logo, I'd be inclined to say it is.

Looks like I can get a generic "ford marine starter relay" for $15 or less on Amazon... option exists. I dunno...

Edit: Supposedly these are good for up to 60A:

https://temcoindustrial.com/bosch-style-automotive-relay-cn0171-1-qty-12-v-60-80-amp-spdt/

Not sealed though...

Lots of leaking at the muffs is normal. You want plenty of water pressure on the system to ensure there is water to the impeller. But not getting water out of the prop when running suggests a bad impeller.

• 8 months later...

Reviving the thread to provide closure.

First, this project got moved to another forum where my "marine-specific" questions could be better answered:

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/1976-montego-16-the-free-puppy.770307/

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/1976-888-fuel-questions.772360/

(and a few others if you poke around their forum enough).

Some things that came from that worth noting:

-The engine from the factory is a mix of things. 302 short block, but with 351W heads (under-drilled to 302 spec) and 351W cam (and firing order). And the accessories are mixed too... marine-modded Delco-Remy Aleternator (with a factory 1-wire mod) and a prestolite marine distributor whose consumables cross-references to 1950's Mopar!

-There was a lake under the ski locker, which caused the soft spot in the deck. Ended up cutting the ski locker false-bottom out entirely and will eventually convert to an extended-depth ski locker.

-Put in all new gauges (other than the hour meter).

-Had a fiasco with the impeller/overheating and had to change the impeller and housing set twice. I also modded the outdrive to accept a "Bravo" style muff set since there was concern the muffs I was using was leaking too much.

-Regarding the relay issue above, I ended up installing a mallory marine stater solenoid relay (spec'd for a later model mercruiser of some sort) which worked out great. I also simplified my igntion power wiring since the key switches used (I replaced later) have RUN on during start (no relay/diode set needed).

Second, yesterday it finally got a lake test:

(that's my best friend Josh driving; his aunt gifted me the boat and not only was he on the last trip it ran before getting stored, he used to drive it and knows a heck of a lot more than I do!).

It ran like champ. Have a fuel leak at the tank sending unit to fix ; I can't easily service such without removing the rear seat, so I will probably hot glue the suspect areas for now and fix it correctly when I plan to have the seat and tank out to allow for some deck repairs.

This has been a big project... still ongoing, but to a functional state at least. Now to figure out the next outing...

Reviving the thread to provide closure.

First, this project got moved to another forum where my "marine-specific" questions could be better answered:

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/1976-montego-16-the-free-puppy.770307/

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/1976-888-fuel-questions.772360/

(and a few others if you poke around their forum enough).

Some things that came from that worth noting:

-The engine from the factory is a mix of things. 302 short block, but with 351W heads (under-drilled to 302 spec) and 351W cam (and firing order). And the accessories are mixed too... marine-modded Delco-Remy Aleternator (with a factory 1-wire mod) and a prestolite marine distributor whose consumables cross-references to 1950's Mopar!

-There was a lake under the ski locker, which caused the soft spot in the deck. Ended up cutting the ski locker false-bottom out entirely and will eventually convert to an extended-depth ski locker.

-Put in all new gauges (other than the hour meter).

-Had a fiasco with the impeller/overheating and had to change the impeller and housing set twice. I also modded the outdrive to accept a "Bravo" style muff set since there was concern the muffs I was using was leaking too much.

-Regarding the relay issue above, I ended up installing a mallory marine stater solenoid relay (spec'd for a later model mercruiser of some sort) which worked out great. I also simplified my igntion power wiring since the key switches used (I replaced later) have RUN on during start (no relay/diode set needed).

Second, yesterday it finally got a lake test:

(that's my best friend Josh driving; his aunt gifted me the boat and not only was he on the last trip it ran before getting stored, he used to drive it and knows a heck of a lot more than I do!).

It ran like champ. Have a fuel leak at the tank sending unit to fix ; I can't easily service such without removing the rear seat, so I will probably hot glue the suspect areas for now and fix it correctly when I plan to have the seat and tank out to allow for some deck repairs.

This has been a big project... still ongoing, but to a functional state at least. Now to figure out the next outing...

Congratulations! Well done! I've done a few marine restorations and know the wonderful feeling when you've had it out the first time. :nabble_anim_claps:

But, like you found, there's usually a minor problem or two that takes sorting after the first outing - and sometimes after the 2nd and 3rd. But eventually you get it sorted and get to enjoy the boat. It is fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations! Well done! I've done a few marine restorations and know the wonderful feeling when you've had it out the first time. :nabble_anim_claps:

But, like you found, there's usually a minor problem or two that takes sorting after the first outing - and sometimes after the 2nd and 3rd. But eventually you get it sorted and get to enjoy the boat. It is fun!

Had a bit of fiasco with the boat/truck today.

Found out I can't safely launch it at my city's boat ramp due to it being too shallow:

449454089_10232627815787202_7707336012015956803_n.thumb.jpg.725315093b20630652360106a29de668.jpg

We backed it up a few feet into the water, but past that the concrete gives way to river bed. And with an RWD truck that's not going to work unless I want to end up in a youtube compilation.

Long story short, I either need a lower/roller trailer (good luck, anything better enough to be worth buying is hard to find or $$$$ as I'm coming to discover) or a beefier tow rig with 4WD (which would likely be the end of the F150, as such would also be $$$$ and I refuse to take a car loan). We barely made the last place work. Very frustrating.

There is a ramp that's across the river/bridge that's also free but it has no dock. No good for a boat of my size unless the truck driver stays on land or drives across the bridge to the other dock.

Edit- apparently they make bunk slicks that can help with this... may be what I need to do. My bunks aren't in great shape anyway so not a terrible idea.