Bullnose Forums

D50 weeping locking hub

Hi Gentlemen!

From birth to 2013, Big Brother had kind of "grey" (and always dirty) steel wheels.

Original.jpg.ca2887fa1c601ab9698a2b1fa83682ad.jpg

In 2013, I painted the truck charcoal, with black wheels.

2013.jpg.71577bf8a84782a17ed7da92c10fc07b.jpg

For the 2020 resto, I decided to offer Big Bro a bran new 1984 two-tone costume with nice 1984 white steel shoes.

As some of you already know, after couple of quiet years, Big Bro has got back to the road more seriously this 2023 summer. This made me notice that:

A) I have to clean these nice white wheels really often! :nabble_smiley_wink:

B) The passenger locking hub seems to weep... :nabble_anim_confused:

Looking closer to pictures before 2013, it is possible that this was already there, but picts I have aren't that clear.

I noticed that the passenger locking hub isn't perfectly tight, a bit slack if I try to rotate it. The driver side one is really stiff.

I suspect that the driver's hub is more recent (lever is still red red instead of sun burned "pink").

Hubs.jpg.ae4fef43541266f1c0eeabb6b4521785.jpg

Anyway, I now have these thin grease lines around the passenger wheel.

Wheel-1.thumb.jpg.8a643d4f1752acaa743fa8e9c234971e.jpg

Wheel-2.thumb.jpg.4686f6397f0b1c7af465e218f84e73f7.jpg

Looking at the parts diagram, it doesn't seem to have any gasket or seal there.

D50-Diagram.jpg.3b7de38b37f96a9120337d6ae440baa7.jpg

Any advice?

Jeff - I'm pretty sure that there's an o-ring around the hub that's not shown in that illustration. And I'd bet that it is leaking, which is why you are slinging grease.

I'd pull the hub off and inspect the o-ring and its recess in the hub.

Ok, so there’s probably a seal there (which sounds logical).

Going to take a look, but maybe not before the trip (I prefer not to risk to break something, a rust retaining bolt or who knows).

This is my temporary solution:

IMG_8399.jpeg.0cd11ee8d527f2c715838425d4a40713.jpeg

:nabble_smiley_wink:

This will also help to confirm beyond any doubt that this is the source of these grease drips.

Going to take a look, but maybe not before the trip (I prefer not to risk to break something, a rust retaining bolt or who knows).

This will also help to confirm beyond any doubt that this is the source of these grease drips.

I think that will work nicely. And it'll prove where the leak is - or isn't. :nabble_smiley_good:

Another thing in my opinion, is to service it as per the factory manual.

Those hubs aren't load bearing and don't require a bunch of grease.

The auto hubs on my Bronco call for submerging the hub in ATF and letting it drip before install.

Folks will complain that those auto hubs don't work when it's cold and they pack them with wheel bearing grease!

Another thing in my opinion, is to service it as per the factory manual.

Those hubs aren't load bearing and don't require a bunch of grease.

The auto hubs on my Bronco call for submerging the hub in ATF and letting it drip before install.

Folks will complain that those auto hubs don't work when it's cold and they pack them with wheel bearing grease!

You're right Dane, these manual Locking Hubs are harder to switch during winter.

Before I bought Big Bro from my wife's father, they broke something in the front locks, pulling a boat trailer out from the water, after a moose hunting week.

That year, the river level was very low, the trailer was in the mud, and they didn't see it was stuck on a hidden stump.

Set up in 4WD-Low, instead of spinning, Big Bro hurt himself...

The garage guys probably "submerged" the front hubs with grease when they serviced them.

You're right Dane, these manual Locking Hubs are harder to switch during winter.

Before I bought Big Bro from my wife's father, they broke something in the front locks, pulling a boat trailer out from the water, after a moose hunting week.

That year, the river level was very low, the trailer was in the mud, and they didn't see it was stuck on a hidden stump.

Set up in 4WD-Low, instead of spinning, Big Bro hurt himself...

The garage guys probably "submerged" the front hubs with grease when they serviced them.

Winter lubrication often means '00' grease.

The preferred lube for snowblowers and other winter equipment.

The hubs don't see constant rotation.

That reminds me, I need to get new hubs at some point too. One of them got smashed pretty good and I'm not even sure it still engages. I haven't seen mud or even a proper dirt road since I moved last July though, so it's not urgent.