Bullnose Forums

My NP435 saga...

IowaTom

Guys - I've had my F150 in the air for months now and finally have the NP435 back in and able to tool down the road with new innards. However, the supplier of my rebuild kit included a third and fourth gear synchro pack that doesn't want to cooperate easily.

Going from a standing start in second and shift to third is a roll of the dice for now. Sometimes it goes into 3rd fairly easily and sometimes I just give up and go to 4th. I'm not a fan of Chrysler's design for the synchros. This cat tongue thing is for da boids! I'm thinking the more I use her, the easier shifting will get. That's my hope anyway.

One thing I didn't note in disassembly is the correct way to attach the transfer case shifter to the slotted tab. Could some kind soul tell me if it goes over or under, if you know what I mean? I can post a pic.

Thank you, Guys!

The synchros in my ZF5 took a while to loosen up, so hopefully yours will as well. But what lube are you using?

As for the shifter, I don't really understand the question, but have you looked at the factory shop manual section at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/NP435?

The synchros in my ZF5 took a while to loosen up, so hopefully yours will as well. But what lube are you using?

As for the shifter, I don't really understand the question, but have you looked at the factory shop manual section at Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Manual Transmissions/NP435?

Gary - Thanks, my friend! I did go through the pics in your great documentation section but didn't see any for the t. case shifter attach point. I'll take a pic the next time I'm out there and attach it.

As for gear oil, I'm using the heavier stuff, which I'm sure doesn't help but I plan to get a gallon of 80-90 GL5 type tomorrow. Can you recommend a lighter oil?

Gary - Thanks, my friend! I did go through the pics in your great documentation section but didn't see any for the t. case shifter attach point. I'll take a pic the next time I'm out there and attach it.

As for gear oil, I'm using the heavier stuff, which I'm sure doesn't help but I plan to get a gallon of 80-90 GL5 type tomorrow. Can you recommend a lighter oil?

You have to watch the GL5 oil's as they are not good for yellow metal, read syncros.

The bottle may say it is good for them and backwards to GL4 but I dont buy that.

My Advance Adapter over drive came with Red Line MT-90.

It is thinner than any of the normal gear lube and it is for yellow metal.

Because of that I used it in my NP435 also. I did find it shifted easier and even more so when cold out.

I should tell you my NP435 was used when I got it. It looked good inside as the top was off but mine is also hard to get into 3rd, both going up and down. I find if I double clutch it helps going up & down.

I also dont know if the syncro is bad, the shift forks bent or if the shaft end play has anything to do with it.

I say end play because I had to remove the front bearing cover to cut it shorter to fit the over drive unit.

I was as careful as I could with the gasket as this sets end play and why I used liquid gasket sealer (thin) when going back together.

So I look at all 3 of the above that may make 3rd gear hard to get into but could be wrong too?

Dave ----

You have to watch the GL5 oil's as they are not good for yellow metal, read syncros.

The bottle may say it is good for them and backwards to GL4 but I dont buy that.

My Advance Adapter over drive came with Red Line MT-90.

It is thinner than any of the normal gear lube and it is for yellow metal.

Because of that I used it in my NP435 also. I did find it shifted easier and even more so when cold out.

I should tell you my NP435 was used when I got it. It looked good inside as the top was off but mine is also hard to get into 3rd, both going up and down. I find if I double clutch it helps going up & down.

I also dont know if the syncro is bad, the shift forks bent or if the shaft end play has anything to do with it.

I say end play because I had to remove the front bearing cover to cut it shorter to fit the over drive unit.

I was as careful as I could with the gasket as this sets end play and why I used liquid gasket sealer (thin) when going back together.

So I look at all 3 of the above that may make 3rd gear hard to get into but could be wrong too?

Dave ----

Thank you, Dave! I have half a bottle of MT90 on my shelf and I'll look for more at O'Reillys.

That's a good first step and its got to help!

Thank you, Dave! I have half a bottle of MT90 on my shelf and I'll look for more at O'Reillys.

That's a good first step and its got to help!

20230812_182522.jpg.78df2cb5ed18f6971243c902498a9423.jpg

Am I good with this transfer case shifter on there correctly? I can click thru the options okay.

Am I good with this transfer case shifter on there correctly? I can click thru the options okay.

If the shifting is correct according to the know then you are right. If the shifting is backwards then you have it on the wrong way. My BW1345 is backwards and the tab hangs down, not up like yours. :nabble_smiley_sad:

If the shifting is correct according to the know then you are right. If the shifting is backwards then you have it on the wrong way. My BW1345 is backwards and the tab hangs down, not up like yours. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Gary - I tried flipping mine to the underside, but it comes in contact with the case. Guess mine is meant to stay above the nut.

Dave, I drained the gear oil and replaced it with the Red Line MT90. What a difference it makes! Still catches a little, but I think in time, things will 'wear in'.

Thanks, Guys!!

Gary - I tried flipping mine to the underside, but it comes in contact with the case. Guess mine is meant to stay above the nut.

Dave, I drained the gear oil and replaced it with the Red Line MT90. What a difference it makes! Still catches a little, but I think in time, things will 'wear in'.

Thanks, Guys!!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks, Guys!!

That's cool!

It was recommended to run MT90 in a 1987 4runner I used to own, it made a difference.

Good stuff!