Bullnose Forums

rear brake lines

newbie question, im working on the brakes on my 1980 f150 4wd. first time dealing with drums and im looking at the brake lines. Capture.png.8662da6d917336e58f737a6d03fac669.png

i have line and acreation tool. but what is this weird junction that hte lines go into on the rear axle called?

thanks! ill check that out

Be aware that in Ford's infinite wisdom the junction block on the rear axle has different threads on each side. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Also that the securing bolt is hollow and acts as the rear axle vent.

If you don't get this right you will blow out your wheel seals

Be aware that in Ford's infinite wisdom the junction block on the rear axle has different threads on each side. :nabble_anim_crazy:

holy crap, thanks for the heads up. this has been a learning experience for sure. definitely used to think older trucks were built better but they seem to have some weird ass shit.

holy crap, thanks for the heads up. this has been a learning experience for sure. definitely used to think older trucks were built better but they seem to have some weird ass shit.

IIRC the left (driver's side) is 7/8-20 inverted flare and the right side is a regular 9/16 thread line nut.

But don't quote me on that.... (it's been a long time)

I do know you need to reuse that oddball flare nut when making up lines, or you need to find an adapter.

The top end of the hose has a fitting with a snap in retaining ring to fit the polygonal hole in the crossmember.

IIRC the left (driver's side) is 7/8-20 inverted flare and the right side is a regular 9/16 thread line nut.

I do know you need to reuse that oddball flare nut when making up lines, or you need to find an adapter.

The top end of the hose has a fitting with a snap in retaining ring to fit the polygonal hole in the crossmember.

that setup seems batshit crazy, thanks for the info.

has anyone used these brake line couplers? thinking of using these for the rear, that way i dont have to get involved with the chaos, currently just trying to get some sort of brakes working

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NOE7305744?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&campaign=GSC-Headlights-Vision-Safety&campaign_id=10947735028&adgroup_id=107081865546&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAjw_aemBhBLEiwAT98FMk0SUN1TTr6oyC0w94v3ALVUG0Izuad8qfr5Efk_O2aRaoyZ9KqyqBoCUfYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&

I understand that it may be rated for it but I will never use a compression fitting in a brake line.

Not sure which line you want to patch but a coil of nicopp tube is not expensive or difficult to work with.

I understand that it may be rated for it but I will never use a compression fitting in a brake line.

Not sure which line you want to patch but a coil of nicopp tube is not expensive or difficult to work with.

not really a patch, the issue stems from me trying to bleed the brakes but not being able to because of seized bleed screws, so that led to replacing the rear cylunders and front calipers, but now has let to not being able to remove the rear brake line from the rear cylinders, and with the help above i fear that just trying to see if the brakes work im gonna have to find a part that i cant get replaced and ect ect. honestly im ready to push this truck into the pond by my house. the coupler would just let me make a short fix to get new cylunders in fast, and then later when or if i can even get the truck through inspection replace it correctly. kinda of a last ditch effort. do i even need rear brakes? could i just not have them?