Bullnose Forums

Vacuum open inlet

Hi Gentlemen!

I am making some cleaning underhood and I am wondering if I accidentally disconnected something...

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/thinking-26_orig.jpg

Is it normal that there is an open inlet vacuum circuit, I don't remember it.

IMG_8089.jpg.4f20567aaf17f32f7c44b3a3b5c88aa0.jpg

If I

, the engine RPM drop.

Thanks for advice!

Many PCV valves are sold with that top outlet blocked (and you have to snip the end of or ream them)

So definitely put a vacuum cap on it.

I am not certain if your Canadian 351HO would have had something attached but I don't see anything on your reproduction vacuum label.

Surprised you wouldn't have heard it if it was open before.

Another good find!

You'll have much better oil control and the oil will stay cleaner too.

Many PCV valves are sold with that top outlet blocked (and you have to snip the end of or ream them)

So definitely put a vacuum cap on it.

I am not certain if your Canadian 351HO would have had something attached but I don't see anything on your reproduction vacuum label.

Another good find!

You'll have much better oil control and the oil will stay cleaner too.

Thanks guys!

Jim, I pulled out the valve to give some blue paint refresh on the engine valves covers.

It was quiet dirty, so I cleaned it thoroughly.

Maybe this could explain why I didn’t hear this vacuum noise before?

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Anyway, going to cap it, thanks for the advice!

:nabble_anim_handshake:

Thanks guys!

Jim, I pulled out the valve to give some blue paint refresh on the engine valves covers.

It was quiet dirty, so I cleaned it thoroughly.

Maybe this could explain why I didn’t hear this vacuum noise before?

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Anyway, going to cap it, thanks for the advice!

It's pretty hard to completely block a PCV and I know you take good care of your truck.

Back in the day we used the does it rattle method of determining useful life.

I Googled a PCV valve for a 1984 F-350 and they all seem to be single port. :nabble_anim_confused:

I'm not saying that it wasn't connected to the charcoal purge before, but for under $20 US I know id appreciate the peace of mind that there was no second inlet to leak.

I'm not saying that it wasn't connected to the charcoal purge before, but for under $20 US I know id appreciate the peace of mind that there was no second inlet to leak.

Jim, when you say «charcoal purge», are you talking about the coal canister? This truck never had one, nor catalytic converter.

There is an EGR valve, but I suspect it came with this replacement engine (around 2012 if I remember well). It is well caped and there’s nothing plugged to it.

I started the truck and I heard the vacuum noise loud and clear from the cabin. I swear I never heard it before!

Can’t explain… As shown on the following picture, Big Brother’s vacuum pattern is quite simple, there’s not a lot of things to “forget”.

IMG_8092.jpeg.78100b03c718ecd47a461373bc7e2e19.jpeg

Anyway, I caped it, now quiet, job done.

IMG_8090.jpeg.eb9b7c086b18b20a012758fd12bfae37.jpeg

Jim, when you say «charcoal purge», are you talking about the coal canister? This truck never had one, nor catalytic converter.

There is an EGR valve, but I suspect it came with this replacement engine (around 2012 if I remember well). It is well caped and there’s nothing plugged to it.

I started the truck and I heard the vacuum noise loud and clear from the cabin. I swear I never heard it before!

Can’t explain… As shown on the following picture, Big Brother’s vacuum pattern is quite simple, there’s not a lot of things to “forget”.

Anyway, I caped it, now quiet, job done.

I'm responding to Bills comment above, that it went to the evaporative canister purge (AKA charcoal can)

Canada was different RE: emissions, like a lot of the trucks never had EGR...

No doubt US Federal regulations hobbled this generation more than your government did.

So perhaps Bill was making a general statement regarding dual port PCV valves and not specifically your truck.

I was saying that when I looked by application an '84 F-350 shouldn't have that style of PCV.

Edit: if you look at mine or Bill's vacuum routing diagram (I think Gary has both on the site somewhere) they look more like the iconic 'pipes' screensaver, or a bowl of spaghetti!

Though I know you're a Mac guy and probably didn't see much of early Windows.

Edit: if you look at mine or Bill's vacuum routing diagram (I think Gary has both on the site somewhere) they look more like the iconic 'pipes' screensaver, or a bowl of spaghetti!

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I didn’t see yours but I can easily imagine that they can look as this notorious Windows screensaver!

Even if I’m on Apple since more than 30 years, I had no choice to work with Win OS, so I know it.

And seems that some Mac aficionados found the way to install it on their Apple machines.

:nabble_anim_crazy:

IMG_8111.jpeg.72a03ccd397cc8f5f0318a5e69db1ee6.jpeg

:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I didn’t see yours but I can easily imagine that they can look as this notorious Windows screensaver!

Even if I’m on Apple since more than 30 years, I had no choice to work with Win OS, so I know it.

And seems that some Mac aficionados found the way to install it on their Apple machines.

:nabble_anim_crazy:

Something like this from the page at Documentation/Vacuum/Vacuum System Diagrams/460 V8:

7195998.jpg.cabb09903ed1f803b6dcb62d680ae1b9.jpg

Something like this from the page at Documentation/Vacuum/Vacuum System Diagrams/460 V8:

Gary, I sincerely hope for you, Bill, Jim and all other “Vacuum Master-Teachers” here, that there will never happen to come a newbie like me :nabble_smiley_whistling:, rebuilding a really complicated Bullnose spaghetti vacuum system.

It would take years to help him understanding his machine!

:nabble_anim_working:

That’s a chance for you guys that Big Bro has one of the simplest vacuum diagram that Ford ever made. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks again for your patience!