Bullnose Forums

Speedo cable driven gear color code

You aren't lazy at all! Look at all you've done. You just don't want to do unnecessary stuff. :nabble_smiley_good:

OK, received the replacement driven gear.

Gears, I would say. At 5$ each, and the road trip next week, I didn't take chance and ordered 4 different ones:

• 16 Tooth for Automatic Transmission (the black one);

• 16 T Manual Transmission (purple)

• 17 T AT (green)

• 17 T MT (white)

T3Orx.jpg.a65fdf7670e15d3d0d04237fbef58c58.jpg

Need help. Seriously.

These gears are driving me crazy. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Q1 : Why the driven gear I found in Big Bro's Transfer Case (Borg Warner 1345) is the AT type? Big Bro is MT T18 equipped... Is a transfer case considered as an automatic transmission?

IMG_7982.jpg.77e328927087a4fecef81873dbbdb6d6.jpg

Q2 : Can I put a MT driven gear (short shaft) in a BW1345 TC? Or, as the one I pulled off Big Bro, it absolutely needs an AT type (long shaft).

Q3 : I don't know why, but the 16 T AT (black) I received isn't like the other AT ones (see picture).

The tooth cylinder prolongs around its long shaft, so the shaft is just a bit longer.

If I cannot put a MT type in Big Bro's TC, do I have to modify the black one?

I can cut the tooth cylinder, should not be difficult, the bottom is at same level than the other gears top.

But if I can avoid it...

IMG_8428.jpeg.b63257b77649e2a0481f52c8196faee9.jpeg

IMG_8460.thumb.jpg.016daeb92c11af3ddbdbbc55857eb101.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, received the replacement driven gear.

Gears, I would say. At 5$ each, and the road trip next week, I didn't take chance and ordered 4 different ones:

• 16 Tooth for Automatic Transmission (the black one);

• 16 T Manual Transmission (purple)

• 17 T AT (green)

• 17 T MT (white)

Need help. Seriously.

These gears are driving me crazy. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Q1 : Why the driven gear I found in Big Bro's Transfer Case (Borg Warner 1345) is the AT type? Big Bro is MT T18 equipped... Is a transfer case considered as an automatic transmission?

Q2 : Can I put a MT driven gear (short shaft) in a BW1345 TC? Or, as the one I pulled off Big Bro, it absolutely needs an AT type (long shaft).

Q3 : I don't know why, but the 16 T AT (black) I received isn't like the other AT ones (see picture).

The tooth cylinder prolongs around its long shaft, so the shaft is just a bit longer.

If I cannot put a MT type in Big Bro's TC, do I have to modify the black one?

I can cut the tooth cylinder, should not be difficult, the bottom is at same level than the other gears top.

But if I can avoid it...

I've mixed auto and manual transmission driven gears w/o worrying about it. As long as the drive gear has a good mesh with the driven gear I don't think you'll have a problem. I think you said you need 16 teeth, so put that purple one in and I think you'll be happy.

I've mixed auto and manual transmission driven gears w/o worrying about it. As long as the drive gear has a good mesh with the driven gear I don't think you'll have a problem. I think you said you need 16 teeth, so put that purple one in and I think you'll be happy.

I put the AT purple 16T (short shaft) and I noticed that I had to push it a little bit (about 2mm), like if the cable was a bit long for the driven gear shaft.

I was wondering if the cable was a bit “compressed” this way.

So, since I had on hands a long shaft 16T (but wrong model), I decided to take a chance and try to modify it.

Well, I think it could be called “success”.

Before:

IMG_8428.jpeg.62a3d6a38d1cdc0d33528461e7bb4715.jpeg

After:

IMG_8461.jpeg.ab68c02e02a02c0f7b1a909f869d2067.jpeg

Road test successful, the speedometer is really precise, no more than 1% difference.

Very happy!

I take Big Bro tomorrow to go to a work site, 4 1/2 hours of highways. This will be the final flight check before the road trip.

I put the AT purple 16T (short shaft) and I noticed that I had to push it a little bit (about 2mm), like if the cable was a bit long for the driven gear shaft.

I was wondering if the cable was a bit “compressed” this way.

So, since I had on hands a long shaft 16T (but wrong model), I decided to take a chance and try to modify it.

Well, I think it could be called “success”.

Before:

After:

Road test successful, the speedometer is really precise, no more than 1% difference.

Very happy!

I take Big Bro tomorrow to go to a work site, 4 1/2 hours of highways. This will be the final flight check before the road trip.

Well done! And glad the speedo is pretty precise. However, that doesn't mean the odometer is accurate. So you should check the odometer against highway mile/kilometer posts to see what you have, preferably over a 10+ mile stretch. Then you can apply a correction to your fuel usage as you go. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well done! And glad the speedo is pretty precise. However, that doesn't mean the odometer is accurate. So you should check the odometer against highway mile/kilometer posts to see what you have, preferably over a 10+ mile stretch. Then you can apply a correction to your fuel usage as you go. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Test completed. On a relatively flat highway. No wind, sunny day.

Real mileage travelled (road milepost markers) = 105 miles (169km)

Odometer measured mileage = 105.7 miles (171.1km)

Conclusion: Big Bro indicates a bit more than the real travelled mileage (+0,65%).

Probably less then the impact of a hilly road. So... I'm satisfied.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Conclusion: Big Bro indicates a bit more than the real travelled mileage (+0,65%).

Wonderful!!! So, how's the economy? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Congratulations Jeff! :nabble_anim_claps:

Your odometer seems right on the money.

Awesome! What a machine!

Precedent measurements were to find the odometer % error.

I also monitored with precision the whole trip fuel consumption:

(calculation in metric units):

· Traveled odometer = 355.3 km

· So real total distance = 353 km

· Fuel for this distance = 62.3 L

· Fuel ratio = 62.3L/353km

= 17.53 L/100km

= 13.33 mpg !!

Big Bro used to drink around +/-10mpg for the last 30 years.

Tune up + new road tires = just under 12mpg.

Jumped to 13.33mpg with Vacuum Advance!

:nabble_smiley_oh:

Precedent measurements were to find the odometer % error.

I also monitored with precision the whole trip fuel consumption:

(calculation in metric units):

· Traveled odometer = 355.3 km

· So real total distance = 353 km

· Fuel for this distance = 62.3 L

· Fuel ratio = 62.3L/353km

= 17.53 L/100km

= 13.33 mpg !!

Big Bro used to drink around +/-10mpg for the last 30 years.

Tune up + new road tires = just under 12mpg.

Jumped to 13.33mpg with Vacuum Advance!

:nabble_smiley_oh:

I'm not at all surprised. However, Big Blue can do 13.0 MPG, and I'm confident I could get more if I were to feed it manually instead of with the speed control. So I think there's more to be had with Big Bro.

Do you have the advance set to 10 BTDC? If so I'd turn it up to 12 and give that a try before you hit the road. Listen closely for pinging at part throttle at low RPM. And watch for kick back on starting, meaning it is hard to start.