Bullnose Forums

Vehicle Emission Control Decal

Hi Gentlemen!

I am in the process of reproducing Big Brother's Emission Control decal.

Here is the original:

E7A6E963-C6C0-464B-971A-7DFE5FACE1A7.jpeg.e8f47574143288e5db145e1df192ca54.jpeg

While doing it, I am analyzing what equipment piece is remaining and which is gone.

I am surprised :nabble_smiley_whistling: to see that, although Big Brother's vacuum system doesn't have a lot of components missing possibilities, there is not a lot of stock that's still there...

The missing parts are the 3 port PVS and its Vacuum Restrictor, plus the Solenoid Vacuum Valve and its VDV and VOTM.

83BA08AA-55A6-4D66-9132-BB6497BBD3EA.thumb.jpeg.345d466e870721674b8e02736d43c1af.jpeg

Question 1:

Please help identify the part placed between the Distributer and the Carburetor 90° direct connection:

031B8762-15A8-4C2C-800B-6165AE2B05AE.jpeg.8a2db48fbe0a5204f5a2d6d650f2f3ec.jpeg

81C440B2-BF79-4775-9816-3173DC29FFF5.jpeg.5a801c7a5732d60d2662f9ff1fc8d649.jpeg

2-Although Big Brother's vacuum diagram doesn't show one, there is an EGR valve. Probably came with the "new" 351W swap? This one is simply disconnected.

Should I block it in a different way (remove it, install a plate, etc) or leave it that way?

56CB72CF-4924-417B-AA28-6CA3F1A581BA.jpeg.a321fd4deb642c9f28b439619270ca82.jpeg

3-Solenoid fittings: What's the goal and what are they looking, any picts?

C24E3A4F-E513-4E93-A081-218699110DFA.jpeg.68001861aa62fd49199b23c0559f3060.jpeg

Since the truck is running very well, I am wondering if I should install new ones...

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Q1: Vacuum restrictor = VRest

• Q2: If the distributor is the original one, which means it was curved to work w/o an EGR valve, and if the engine is running well I'd leave well enough alone. But you could pull the EGR valve and put a block-off plate in there to ensure there isn't an exhaust leak.

• Q3: I don't see the stuff in your two circles save for the VRest. So I think all of that has been removed and all you have is the vacuum line from the carb, through the VRest, to the distributor. Am I missing something?

I have to go now, but if you want to delve further there's a training manual here that might help: Documentation/Emissions/Understanding Emissions Controls.

• Q2: If the distributor is the original one, which means it was curved to work w/o an EGR valve, and if the engine is running well I'd leave well enough alone. But you could pull the EGR valve and put a block-off plate in there to ensure there isn't an exhaust leak.

• Q3: I don't see the stuff in your two circles save for the VRest. So I think all of that has been removed and all you have is the vacuum line from the carb, through the VRest, to the distributor. Am I missing something?

I have to go now, but if you want to delve further there's a training manual here that might help: Documentation/Emissions/Understanding Emissions Controls.

Gary, don't rush... Big Brother runs this way since at least its "new" engine (2013) and possibly before that.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I don't plan to modify anything, unless any added part could improve Big Brother's fuel consumption, or if any missing part has an impact on engine performance (timing or similar).

Q1-Thanks for identifying, I'll put this remaining part in green on the included diagram (see lower).

Q2-Original distributor, yep. So I'll cap the EGR to be more secure.

The green parts on the diagram are the remaining ones, the red ones are missing.

I included pictures to simply illustrate Big Brother's current vacuum system state, compared to its diagram.

EA6EB25E-174E-41E4-89C0-99CED2B163E9.thumb.jpeg.106f0e9e8e4c95133e49e79f30243abb.jpeg

Gary, don't rush... Big Brother runs this way since at least its "new" engine (2013) and possibly before that.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I don't plan to modify anything, unless any added part could improve Big Brother's fuel consumption, or if any missing part has an impact on engine performance (timing or similar).

Q1-Thanks for identifying, I'll put this remaining part in green on the included diagram (see lower).

Q2-Original distributor, yep. So I'll cap the EGR to be more secure.

The green parts on the diagram are the remaining ones, the red ones are missing.

I included pictures to simply illustrate Big Brother's current vacuum system state, compared to its diagram.

The only item I might want on it if it were mine, the early emission systems used a PVS that was set at 210°F so that if the engine got too hot, it would advance the timing (bottom port to ported spark on carburetor, center to distributor, top to manifold vacuum). I hay have one of those (or more) if you want to add that.

The only item I might want on it if it were mine, the early emission systems used a PVS that was set at 210°F so that if the engine got too hot, it would advance the timing (bottom port to ported spark on carburetor, center to distributor, top to manifold vacuum). I hay have one of those (or more) if you want to add that.

I'm with Bill - What you have is working, but if you want to change add the PVS.

Bill, do you have a 3 port PVS?

And am I ok to presume it will screw there?

874E5751-1DCD-4728-81DF-B6DA953159E4.thumb.jpeg.f4e70cb90effc0adc495e5d516685e73.jpeg

Bill, as I have already said to Gary, it's anything but an emergency!

😉

Guys, went to NAPA for something else, and they had a 3 port PVS in stock... I bought it.

:nabble_smiley_blush:

And I'm waiting for my local print shop to print the replacement decal I reproduced:

Ford-Etiquette_catalyseur-2.jpg.52d8c6f61912c55af2972c9fea00092a.jpg

Here's Big Brother's original (was able to save it from original rad support, but cannot stick anymore to the new support):

Vehicle_Emission_Control.jpg.7137c8887df3407f949d60687b0dccdd.jpg

The fonts aren't exactly the same, but pretty close.

Guys, went to NAPA for something else, and they had a 3 port PVS in stock... I bought it.

:nabble_smiley_blush:

And I'm waiting for my local print shop to print the replacement decal I reproduced:

Here's Big Brother's original (was able to save it from original rad support, but cannot stick anymore to the new support):

The fonts aren't exactly the same, but pretty close.

Looks great, Jeff! :nabble_anim_claps: