Bullnose Forums

Spare Tire Retaining Bolts

I gathered:

• The 49" steel channel

• Two «J-nuts» for the frame fixation (they are 1/2" standard threaded)

According to Ralph's post they are M14 x 2.0 mm.... :nabble_anim_confused:

1999-2016 trucks use M14x2mm bed mounting clips.

These are 45mm to center and grip up to 4mm thick

Mount Bolt Nut - Ford# (W708770-S436)

See also, Auveco # 25041

Amazon https://a.co/d/dmlhkuE

I tried to replace mine as the originals were bent. This was the only option I could find from EBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/125130915835

I wasn't willing to pay $99 for 2 bolts so I just fixed the original and made due. Maybe $99 isn't too steep for you?

I saw these too, but at this price I will buy two bolts at hardware store and weld the myself.

:nabble_anim_crazy:

I gathered:

• The 49" steel channel

• Two «J-nuts» for the frame fixation (they are 1/2" standard threaded)

According to Ralph's post they are M14 x 2.0 mm.... :nabble_anim_confused:

1999-2016 trucks use M14x2mm bed mounting clips.

These are 45mm to center and grip up to 4mm thick

Mount Bolt Nut - Ford# (W708770-S436)

See also, Auveco # 25041

Amazon https://a.co/d/dmlhkuE

Yes, according to the MPC that measurement is correct.

Well, that's certainly interesting....

• Bolts thread:

The clips I bought at LMC are M14x2.0 threaded, but a 1/2-13 threaded bolt fits in (although not as "tight" as the metric one).

Reverse is probably not possible...

• Installation:

I gathered all the parts, will install this morning.

So I'm preparing myself, reading all infos I have. And guys, it's in the 1984 User Manual that I found the answer of a stupid question I had:

«What's the goal of that tube at the end of the blade support? To support the blade when dropped to the ground? Or a kind of handle?».

:nabble_anim_confused:

1DFB5123-AA10-48B7-B011-3142E967FEA5.jpeg.d0033db60580e13467838875be37ca51.jpeg

2FC84F0A-0158-4C5A-91B8-F7B48AF7FA5D.jpeg.97e0ddd57a5459fa86da400d8ef82a63.jpeg

For the dummies like me, well, this tube is a gift of our old friend Archimede: It enables a lever action when a longer stick is inserted (user manual indicates to use the wrench). So the tire feels "lighter" to drop down (or to replace up in its storage).

CAB40E9B-1D1C-4A91-A9A2-B2DDD29E8C9B.jpeg.7a0e98dc310c6a4be0e58d142f196d80.jpeg

Ok, for the majority of this forum members, this is probably so evident that they won't imagine this could be detailed here.

But for the 2-3 guys like me who were completely ignorant, I hope it will be useful!

:nabble_smiley_wink:

• Bolts thread:

The clips I bought at LMC are M14x2.0 threaded, but a 1/2-13 threaded bolt fits in (although not as "tight" as the metric one).

• Installation:

So I'm preparing myself, reading all infos I have. And guys, it's in the 1984 User Manual that I found the answer of a stupid question I had:

«What's the goal of that tube at the end of the blade support? To support the blade when dropped to the ground? Or a kind of handle?».

For the dummies like me, well, this tube is a gift of our old friend Archimede: It enables a lever action when a longer stick is inserted (user manual indicates to use the wrench). So the tire feels "lighter" to drop down (or to replace up in its storage).

Ok, for the majority of this forum members, this is probably so evident that they won't imagine this could be detailed here.

But for the 2-3 guys like me who were completely ignorant, I hope it will be useful!

Yes, my old friend Archimedes! I saw him recently in the new Indiana Jones movie. He looked older than I remember, but then I probably do as well.

As for leverage, or maybe I should say "fulcrum" since that's the word he famously used, I'm not sure how one would get that tire up there w/o it. Maybe use the jack, but I doubt it goes high enough given that you'd have to put it under the wheel and not the end where the tube is.

But even with that added help I find it very difficult anymore. It never was easy, but it is getting increasingly more difficult. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Good luck today, Jeff!

• Bolts thread:

• Installation:

To quote a friend "If all else fails, read the instructions."

The large plastic cone shaped retainer for the wheel, is "universal" once you figure it out. On 15 and 16" single wheel rims, the point goes down through the center hole over the long carriage bolt (1/2 - 13 if i remember) and is tightened to secure the wheel to the carrier bar. On a dually rim, the dish in the wheel goes down and the cone goes large end down as the scalloped base just fits in the center of the rim. The wrench will fit to tighten it.

Cone:

DSCN0925a.jpg.1851468c38aebbf3e9b4474d82adde64.jpg

Carrier with guide bolts:

DSCN0925b.thumb.jpg.a898d4397f2f6029522f4130a98e7978.jpg

Spare on carrier:

DSCN0926a.thumb.jpg.0cbb6f595b43b30d764b46bd70ef43c7.jpg

Cone installed to hold spare in place:

DSCN0927a.thumb.jpg.e8b25a43fdeee39ca2a79dbfd621ba1d.jpg

Bottom view with carrier in place:

DSCN0928a.thumb.jpg.f95ce72c46a3ce321d04ccb1d936cebc.jpg

View from right rear of spare, carrier and V5 receiver:

IMGP1204.thumb.jpg.e6af1ee2d822f37be388cf957f50042d.jpg

I did find, as I had heard, that with a receiver hitch and possibly even a regular hitch, the tube has to be shortened. As for using the jack to lift the wheel and carrier, works fine on Darth, just slow.