Bullnose Forums

Hose Clamps

Interesting video. And I tend to agree with most of what he said. However, at 1:54 he said "And that's why manufacturers never use the worm-style clamps." How does that square with what Ralph said: "I can also vouch that Ford changed this clamp to a universal worm type clamp."

I'm pretty sure he's talking present tense, Gary! Used in the past but not today. All the hose clamps on my Focus St are constant tension, as are those on my kid's Honda's and my wife's Murano.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure he's talking present tense, Gary! Used in the past but not today. All the hose clamps on my Focus St are constant tension, as are those on my kid's Honda's and my wife's Murano.

I can buy that. And I do know that I've had leaks from clamps I thought were tight. So I'll start using the constant-tension ones as I put Dad's truck together.

(And, btw, there is actually miniscule progress on that as Steve/Foxford33 and I are working together to nail down the OD lockout switch. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

I can buy that. And I do know that I've had leaks from clamps I thought were tight. So I'll start using the constant-tension ones as I put Dad's truck together.

(And, btw, there is actually miniscule progress on that as Steve/Foxford33 and I are working together to nail down the OD lockout switch. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

Our Xterra had constant tension, when I did the head gaskets on it I put worm gear clamps back on because it was so tight I couldn't get tools on most of the clamps.

Had to cut a few hoses and take them off when I got parts out of the way.

I like them, just a bear in tight spots.

Our Xterra had constant tension, when I did the head gaskets on it I put worm gear clamps back on because it was so tight I couldn't get tools on most of the clamps.

Had to cut a few hoses and take them off when I got parts out of the way.

I like them, just a bear in tight spots.

With the right tools they're even easier in tight spots than the worm gear ones. One of the pliers I have has the clamping part on a short cable, and with all of them you can lock it open, so you slip it on easy and release it without having to try to get a socket or screwdriver in.

I wish all manufacturers used them, my '21 q60 has the worm gear style, but nissan is notorious for not keeping up with the times.

I can see Ford changing the clamps yet again from when our trucks were built.

Could be why the Ford Motorcraft worm type clamps is obsolete. :nabble_smiley_beam:

I can also see that the constant tension style would take all the guesswork out of tightening it, and would make installation on an assembly line much quicker and easier.

Worm type clamps have their uses though, and I'd still keep a few for emergency repairs.

--------------------------------------

P.S. I'm thinking the Ford Motorcraft worm clamps are so expensive is due to Con-cours type restorations. Any theories?? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

P.S. I'm thinking the Ford Motorcraft worm clamps are so expensive is due to Con-cours type restorations. Any theories?? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Naugh........eBay weasel who thinks he's sitting on a gold mine. Sad thing, somebody will buy them.

• 2 weeks later...

John, the constant tension clamps are the ones that are a bear to R&R unless you have the proper pliers to use on them. Here is a website that carries them: https://belmetric.com/clamp-full-tab-constant-tension-9mm-50mm/?sku=CTC44BAND12&gclid=Cj0KCQjwho-lBhC_ARIsAMpgMoemhVJ_sBqPYcyeN6qWoBTlT0jzymkmxwISKcErRtE4jpXR5iRUuT4aAoobEALw_wcB

I started using them on my Chrysler Lebaron convertible as I kept getting a lower radiator hose leak.

Bill, I ordered clamps from the company that you listed. Thank you for posting it!

To all......I'll leave a response here as to what I ordered and how all this worked out. FYI, the upper radiator hose has two different measurements. Don't assume they are the same!!!

John, the constant tension clamps are the ones that are a bear to R&R unless you have the proper pliers to use on them. Here is a website that carries them: https://belmetric.com/clamp-full-tab-constant-tension-9mm-50mm/?sku=CTC44BAND12&gclid=Cj0KCQjwho-lBhC_ARIsAMpgMoemhVJ_sBqPYcyeN6qWoBTlT0jzymkmxwISKcErRtE4jpXR5iRUuT4aAoobEALw_wcB

I started using them on my Chrysler Lebaron convertible as I kept getting a lower radiator hose leak.

Bill, I ordered clamps from the company that you listed. Thank you for posting it!

To all......I'll leave a response here as to what I ordered and how all this worked out. FYI, the upper radiator hose has two different measurements. Don't assume they are the same!!!

I switched to them after dealing with a lower hose leak on my 1985 Lebaron. It was at the radiator tank but hard to see due to the intercooler and fan assembly. When a friend and I found it, he had some of these clamps so we put one on and it never leaked again.

• 3 months later...

Ok, I need to revive this thread 'cause someone posted "I'll leave a response here as to what I ordered and how all this worked out." And I need to know. :nabble_anim_blbl:

That's 'cause it looks like my power steering system leak is at the tee where the return from the frame-mounted cooler joins with the "used" return from the hydroboost and goes into the Saginaw pump. As you can see below, I used the screw type clamps and it appears that one or more is leaking.

Following up on Bill's recommendation of Belmetric.com I see that their 16mm has a Mfrs Published Crimping Range of 15.7mm - 17.5mm. My hose measures 16.7mm when it is on the barb, so it seems like that 16mm clamp is the right one. Yes?

But are there better tools with which to install them than slip-joint pliers?

Hydroboost_Return_Line_Tee.thumb.jpg.75dc810d522fdbde5c9828ee39c4ec8d.jpg

Ok, I need to revive this thread 'cause someone posted "I'll leave a response here as to what I ordered and how all this worked out." And I need to know. :nabble_anim_blbl:

That's 'cause it looks like my power steering system leak is at the tee where the return from the frame-mounted cooler joins with the "used" return from the hydroboost and goes into the Saginaw pump. As you can see below, I used the screw type clamps and it appears that one or more is leaking.

Following up on Bill's recommendation of Belmetric.com I see that their 16mm has a Mfrs Published Crimping Range of 15.7mm - 17.5mm. My hose measures 16.7mm when it is on the barb, so it seems like that 16mm clamp is the right one. Yes?

But are there better tools with which to install them than slip-joint pliers?

90 degree bent-nose pliers work okay for the smaller ones.