Bullnose Forums

Battery cables to starter

I'm looking at the '85 EVTM and it seems you should have at least three fusible links, assuming that you don't have an aux battery or EEC.

Which, depends on whether you have ammeter or idiot lights.

Sorry there is no '83 EVTM here on the site.

Have you tried to trace the one that blows to see where it's shorted out?

IMG_1975.jpeg.da5c4a598e5509c92187c797dbfbcc69.jpeg

I have 2 more here.

I have not tried to trace it yet.

Is it possible I killed my starter when I swapped the cables?

I have 2 more here.

Those two should connect to a yellow wire and the yellow wire to a black/orange wire and another fusible link (J)at the hot relay lug (as can be seen in the diagrams I posted)

Look at circuit 38-37 and fuselink J in the ammeter diagram

I have 2 more here.

If you're popping fuses you've either got a ground fault or a short, and on a system like this it's gonna be real easy to find. Start with a meter and check resistance from negative terminal to ground, make sure it's . or lower. If it's high you need better grounds, but that's not gonna be your problem here, you just need to know what number to expect. Next with the positive terminal disconnected, negative needs to stay connected, take readings from every connection that's positive to ground. If you get anything other than oL or open loop, depending on the meter, you found the problem. If not, repeat while checking to the negative battery terminal. If your ground to terminal reading was good you won't need to do that step.

Once you find the problem, disconnect cables until you only have the problem in one place and you've got it.

If you're popping fuses you've either got a ground fault or a short, and on a system like this it's gonna be real easy to find. Start with a meter and check resistance from negative terminal to ground, make sure it's . or lower. If it's high you need better grounds, but that's not gonna be your problem here, you just need to know what number to expect. Next with the positive terminal disconnected, negative needs to stay connected, take readings from every connection that's positive to ground. If you get anything other than oL or open loop, depending on the meter, you found the problem. If not, repeat while checking to the negative battery terminal. If your ground to terminal reading was good you won't need to do that step.

Once you find the problem, disconnect cables until you only have the problem in one place and you've got it.

Thank you!