Bullnose Forums

Temperature sending unit.

jdavidsmi

Not sure I understand what you said, Ken. There wasn't a 302HO in any year in the trucks. And this one appears to have had a carb, so it would have been a 2bbl feedback Motorcraft with a computer to drive it. Right?

And with a computer running the carb it would run the ignition timing as well.

Or, am I lost? That would be easy given what is going on right now - more about which later.

No, you're not lost at all Gary......sorry, I was replying to your earlier question (post #6).

I would assume originally a feedback carb, & EEC-III or IV.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew! I thought I'd gone 'round the bend. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Yes, III or IV.

Been gone over the weekend, thanks for all the information. not sure how much I totally understand, but the gest is don't worry about the second sensor. and with the Duraspark II , I have a fairly reliable system.

Now I just need to find out why my new fuel pump stopped.

Been gone over the weekend, thanks for all the information. not sure how much I totally understand, but the gest is don't worry about the second sensor. and with the Duraspark II , I have a fairly reliable system.

Now I just need to find out why my new fuel pump stopped.

Your fuel pump stopped? Is it mechanical or electric? I would have thought it would have been mechanical originally.

Your fuel pump stopped? Is it mechanical or electric? I would have thought it would have been mechanical originally.

Mechanical, Yes it just stopped. about two weeks ago on the way to town it died like I had ran out of gas, gauge showed 3/4 tank, of course it was on a narrow 2 lane with no shoulders. but a friend stopped and gave me a tow to a close parking lot. I have a clear fuel filter and there was no gas in the filter and turning over the motor did not pump any so either fuel gauge wrong or pump stopped. tried to put in 5 gal but it would only take 3 and it was full, so bad pump. car quest new pump, had truck towed home.

Not knowing condition of tank I pulled it out to clean, pickup tube screen completely gone, ordered new pickup. cleaned inside and outside of tank, new pickup, new fill hose, new rubber fuel line, tested float, and put it back together.

Replace the fuel pump and noticed the oil pressure sensor leaking so I replaced that to. started the truck and everything working as it should.

Went out this morning and no gas to the filter. Gas to the flexible connection at the inlet of the pump nothing on the discharge side. Did I miss some trash in the metal tubing? Anyway I disconnected the fuel ling at the tank and pump and blew out the line again.

Nothing, pump will not pull gas from tank.

Very frustrated closed it up and called it a day. Tomorrow is a new day. Besides its a dark rainy day here in Tennessee, must be time for a nap.

Mechanical, Yes it just stopped. about two weeks ago on the way to town it died like I had ran out of gas, gauge showed 3/4 tank, of course it was on a narrow 2 lane with no shoulders. but a friend stopped and gave me a tow to a close parking lot. I have a clear fuel filter and there was no gas in the filter and turning over the motor did not pump any so either fuel gauge wrong or pump stopped. tried to put in 5 gal but it would only take 3 and it was full, so bad pump. car quest new pump, had truck towed home.

Not knowing condition of tank I pulled it out to clean, pickup tube screen completely gone, ordered new pickup. cleaned inside and outside of tank, new pickup, new fill hose, new rubber fuel line, tested float, and put it back together.

Replace the fuel pump and noticed the oil pressure sensor leaking so I replaced that to. started the truck and everything working as it should.

Went out this morning and no gas to the filter. Gas to the flexible connection at the inlet of the pump nothing on the discharge side. Did I miss some trash in the metal tubing? Anyway I disconnected the fuel ling at the tank and pump and blew out the line again.

Nothing, pump will not pull gas from tank.

Very frustrated closed it up and called it a day. Tomorrow is a new day. Besides its a dark rainy day here in Tennessee, must be time for a nap.

While it is possible that you got a bad pump, I'm going to bet the problem is with a hose. Did you replace all the hoses? On a 2-tank setup there will be one from the tank to the steel line, one from the steel line to the valve, one from the valve to the front steel line, and then one from that steel line to the pump. A leak in any one of them can kill the vacuum and prevent pumping gas. And, I've seen original lines leak right through the wall of the hose.

Or, it could be the valve if you have two tanks.

While it is possible that you got a bad pump, I'm going to bet the problem is with a hose. Did you replace all the hoses? On a 2-tank setup there will be one from the tank to the steel line, one from the steel line to the valve, one from the valve to the front steel line, and then one from that steel line to the pump. A leak in any one of them can kill the vacuum and prevent pumping gas. And, I've seen original lines leak right through the wall of the hose.

Or, it could be the valve if you have two tanks.

Gary, I only have the one 16 gal side mounted tank, I think the first thing I'm going to do is disconnect the hoses again and pull a vacuum and see if its holds, I want to believe its a vacuum leak.

Gary, I only have the one 16 gal side mounted tank, I think the first thing I'm going to do is disconnect the hoses again and pull a vacuum and see if its holds, I want to believe its a vacuum leak.

Don't forget to plug the vent. But, if you pull much of a vacuum you may implode the tank. Doesn't take much to flatten something that big.

Don't forget to plug the vent. But, if you pull much of a vacuum you may implode the tank. Doesn't take much to flatten something that big.

Wanted to give an update, did a vacuum test on the fuel line from the pump to the tank and found the clamp on the line from the tank to the steel was sucking air, put a better clamp on and solved the vacuum issue.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now on to the next issue trying to determine which model if the 2150 carburetor I have. but that will be a new thread.

David

Wanted to give an update, did a vacuum test on the fuel line from the pump to the tank and found the clamp on the line from the tank to the steel was sucking air, put a better clamp on and solved the vacuum issue.

Thanks for everyone's help. Now on to the next issue trying to determine which model if the 2150 carburetor I have. but that will be a new thread.

David

Congrats! One layer of onions peeled. Time for celebration and a small serving of onion rings. And then on to the next layer. 🙈