Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

Hi Gary,

that's what I've found. Are these images useful or do I have to remove and clean the label?

I think you may have to unfold it and take another pic. I say that because I think the info we are looking for is in the upper left, right about where the fold is. I can see the "55" which must be 3.55 gear ratio, and "8 8" which must be the 8.8" pinion size. But the upper left isn't legible to me.

Having said that, it is pretty obvious that you have an 8.8" and I'd bet the bearings and seals are all the same. Still, it would be good to nail down what you have to make sure.

rear-axles-ford_orig.thumb.jpg.304f7f174a7cf1752ad3978d82195530.jpg

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you may have to unfold it and take another pic. I say that because I think the info we are looking for is in the upper left, right about where the fold is. I can see the "55" which must be 3.55 gear ratio, and "8 8" which must be the 8.8" pinion size. But the upper left isn't legible to me.

Having said that, it is pretty obvious that you have an 8.8" and I'd bet the bearings and seals are all the same. Still, it would be good to nail down what you have to make sure.

Ok, so it may be better to remove it before. The cover seems to be responsible for the fold and I can't bend it good in this position.

Ok, so it may be better to remove it before. The cover seems to be responsible for the fold and I can't bend it good in this position.

I have looked...nothing more to see...Herr is what I've got. There seems to be no number behind the bent:

20230822_185803.thumb.jpg.da453e2926365e6f226254772c1afaf7.jpg

20230822_185756.thumb.jpg.cb5bf5fea41eebf3792c7c5d20c37cf3.jpg

20230822_185728.thumb.jpg.36e1424bb51f18a8808049b1f24bcbe2.jpg

20230822_185724.thumb.jpg.606d0380c897fd8de259ddb62eab3f9a.jpg

20230822_185709.thumb.jpg.adfffcb2d922e081333b6a6856d81efe.jpg

20230822_185656.thumb.jpg.94e2fec67c1cad471b8ca668ce0d8bcb.jpg

20230822_185737.jpg.bacf9210b2e4c0b4d5be79723cee2552.jpg

I have looked...nothing more to see...Herr is what I've got. There seems to be no number behind the bent:

Actually, you got the needed info, which is "810P". That shows up multiple times in parts list #236, and I've highlighted them in the attached file. And so we now know that your rear axle is indeed the right one for your Bronco and you can order parts for it with they expectation they will fit.

However, you'll note in that file that right at the top it says to refer to 1177 for seals and 1225 for wheel bearings, meaning that those part numbers are not in that file. So the screenshots below show the right Ford part numbers for the seals and wheel bearings for your axle. But you may find that no one uses the Ford part numbers so you may just go with what someone like Rock Auto says will fit.

Wheel_Bearing_-_8.thumb.jpg.9a848eedab4867b70aa63e2e7887088a.jpgSeal_-_8.thumb.jpg.a5bc5ad92d953490c5ca58790f1f56fd.jpg

Parts_List_No_236.pdf

Actually, you got the needed info, which is "810P". That shows up multiple times in parts list #236, and I've highlighted them in the attached file. And so we now know that your rear axle is indeed the right one for your Bronco and you can order parts for it with they expectation they will fit.

However, you'll note in that file that right at the top it says to refer to 1177 for seals and 1225 for wheel bearings, meaning that those part numbers are not in that file. So the screenshots below show the right Ford part numbers for the seals and wheel bearings for your axle. But you may find that no one uses the Ford part numbers so you may just go with what someone like Rock Auto says will fit.

Parts_List_No_236.pdf

Thanks Gary,

you are incredible! You are also right, regarding the part numbers. No match at rockauto.com...

Here is my basket:

Screenshot_20230822_211249_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c1db88340e97b8142ef5a8dccf737ad0.jpg

Have I missed something? Are there any washers or distance plates needed?

I have added the "normal" and also the "repair" bearings, without knowing the difference...:nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks Gary,

you are incredible! You are also right, regarding the part numbers. No match at rockauto.com...

Here is my basket:

Have I missed something? Are there any washers or distance plates needed?

I have added the "normal" and also the "repair" bearings, without knowing the difference...:nabble_anim_confused:

I don't know the difference between the standard bearings and that repair one. But I found this on the Summit site that says "The product description needs to be updated to note that this is a "repair" bearing to be used with a used axle, not a true axle bearing that's used with a new axle. The "repair" bearing moves the bearings themselves farther out on the shaft and closer towards the weaker (thinner) portion of the axle housing. If one is replacing the axle and towing with the vehicle, this is not the part you want to use."

So unless you have a problem with the axle I'd think the standard bearing would be the way to go. However, if you get it apart and then discover you have a problem you should have bought the repair one. So I don't know.

But if you go with the regular, non-repair bearings then you need to also order the seals. Other than that I think you have it.

I don't know the difference between the standard bearings and that repair one. But I found this on the Summit site that says "The product description needs to be updated to note that this is a "repair" bearing to be used with a used axle, not a true axle bearing that's used with a new axle. The "repair" bearing moves the bearings themselves farther out on the shaft and closer towards the weaker (thinner) portion of the axle housing. If one is replacing the axle and towing with the vehicle, this is not the part you want to use."

So unless you have a problem with the axle I'd think the standard bearing would be the way to go. However, if you get it apart and then discover you have a problem you should have bought the repair one. So I don't know.

But if you go with the regular, non-repair bearings then you need to also order the seals. Other than that I think you have it.

Ok, I've understood. I'll buy both cause of not knowing what I've to expect when I've pulled the bearings.

So here's my new basket. I've added some parts in two versions, cause of not knowing what's the right one. E.g. the axle shaft seals have a differt OD...

I also have added the seal for the differential cover, cause if I have to open it, I'll need it. I think the flange gasket is also needed two times. As you see, something leaks on the rear passenger side:

20230821_191034.jpg.0dfac85758721f35f9089d891a2238f9.jpg

To save shipping cost, I also added the U-joints. Small cost and easy to replace.

Screenshot_20230823_071714_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c5c7c10bd26121ddf2bcde475087d374.jpg

Screenshot_20230823_071725_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bb97e00189e92408fcbaeeaa7a973241.jpg

Screenshot_20230823_071735_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fea47eda10a81bb7597d41b39f870d3e.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance!

Ok, I've understood. I'll buy both cause of not knowing what I've to expect when I've pulled the bearings.

So here's my new basket. I've added some parts in two versions, cause of not knowing what's the right one. E.g. the axle shaft seals have a differt OD...

I also have added the seal for the differential cover, cause if I have to open it, I'll need it. I think the flange gasket is also needed two times. As you see, something leaks on the rear passenger side:

To save shipping cost, I also added the U-joints. Small cost and easy to replace.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Well, that certainly seems to have everything, and then some!

Getting the rear cover gasket is a very good idea and I should have mentioned that. You'll need to pull the cover to get the retainers out for the axles. But do you have the right lubricant to refill the axle?

And it is ok to get the gasket between the axle tube and the brake backing plate, but you only have one of them in the cart and may need two.

But one axle seals you have a whole bunch! Several different kinds. And in at least one case only one of that kind. Don't you want to order two?

Then there's the pinion seal. Are you pulling that apart? I wouldn't if there's not a problem.

Anyway, that's a lot of parts but with some checking of quantities you may be ready to order.

Well, that certainly seems to have everything, and then some!

Getting the rear cover gasket is a very good idea and I should have mentioned that. You'll need to pull the cover to get the retainers out for the axles. But do you have the right lubricant to refill the axle?

And it is ok to get the gasket between the axle tube and the brake backing plate, but you only have one of them in the cart and may need two.

But one axle seals you have a whole bunch! Several different kinds. And in at least one case only one of that kind. Don't you want to order two?

Then there's the pinion seal. Are you pulling that apart? I wouldn't if there's not a problem.

Anyway, that's a lot of parts but with some checking of quantities you may be ready to order.

Hu Gary,

You have already mentioned that I need to get inside the differential to get the axles out. I only have forgotten to add the gasket into the basket.

The amounts are wrong at some parts, I know and I will correct it.

About the pinion seal: No, I'll check if it is the same origin of shipping...then I'll let it inside the basket and if I don't have to change it, I'll place it in my stock.

But there are two different axle shaft seals...do I need both?

Hu Gary,

You have already mentioned that I need to get inside the differential to get the axles out. I only have forgotten to add the gasket into the basket.

The amounts are wrong at some parts, I know and I will correct it.

About the pinion seal: No, I'll check if it is the same origin of shipping...then I'll let it inside the basket and if I don't have to change it, I'll place it in my stock.

But there are two different axle shaft seals...do I need both?

Rene - I took a different approach of cross referencing the Ford part number (E3TZ 1177-A) to other seals and found this Timken site that says it crosses to a Timken 8835S.

Lo and behold you have two of those in your cart!

8835s.thumb.jpg.df1a79ea21f83632527098285baee534.jpgTimken_8835S_Cross.thumb.jpg.aace919a9d12dd9d2881be4854eb4f67.jpg