Bullnose Forums

Restore of my 1986 Bronco XLT

The question was for anyone who wants to answer...:nabble_smiley_happy:

Hear is the upgrade of the fixing of the inner door handle:

I'll be sure, it's quiet now...have to test this weekend.

I also have changed the door speakers...

20230715_172228.jpg.3d0d8ab54adf8c8f3aa6590b2ebd2f00.jpg

Fixed with M4 rivet nuts and foam to prevent rattling.

20230715_172236.jpg.de78bd1894bd92595e8590f9a60eb66c.jpg

I have also put heavy bitumen mats inside the doors. I'll post photos tomorrow.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have changed the door speakers...

Fixed with M4 rivet nuts and foam to prevent rattling.

I have also put heavy bitumen mats inside the doors. I'll post photos tomorrow.

Nice! With the doors quietened and those speakers you should notice a big difference in sound. :nabble_anim_claps:

Doesn't that snap into grooves?

As for the speaker, that should work nicely.

And have you driven it to see if the door handle sqeeks?

:nabble_anim_confused:

No, it doesn't. It seems that for the ones before it was also used a type of silicone or glue...

Yes, they really fits nice.

The handles also fits perfect. They are doing no more sound anymore.

Nice! With the doors quietened and those speakers you should notice a big difference in sound. :nabble_anim_claps:

Yes. Wait until I'll present you my dual subwoofers, integrated in the center console...driven by 250 watts rms...:nabble_smiley_happy:

• 5 weeks later...

:nabble_smiley_good:

So, as I'm back from holidays and my bronco has run about 1,700 miles without any problems, I'll going on to make it like home...:nabble_smiley_happy:

Technically everything seems to be fine so far. Ok. I still have to do some things, but nothing such critical as in the past.

1. My TPS has to be adjusted. Idle when warm is ok, but when cold the engine starves sometimes when setting the gear and pushing the pedal.

2. One or both exhaust mainfolds are leaking thus I've using multi-layer aluminum gaskets.

3. I have to check my plugs to see how they look after this amount of miles and see how the engine runs.

4. I still have this deep rolling noise when driving over 60 miles. I've already checked the wheels on a balancing machine. Nothing uncommon...but watching the tire on it, it seems that the tire has a dent on tread.

5. I think my C6 loose some oil...sometimes I have a small Spot under the car in height of the gearbox...don't know from where it comes...but the spot is not as big at all...

So next part I'll work in will be the center console with integrated subwoofer. I'll post some images here to keep you up to date.

If someone has any comments to the first listen technical things, I'll be thankful.

So, as I'm back from holidays and my bronco has run about 1,700 miles without any problems, I'll going on to make it like home...:nabble_smiley_happy:

Technically everything seems to be fine so far. Ok. I still have to do some things, but nothing such critical as in the past.

1. My TPS has to be adjusted. Idle when warm is ok, but when cold the engine starves sometimes when setting the gear and pushing the pedal.

2. One or both exhaust mainfolds are leaking thus I've using multi-layer aluminum gaskets.

3. I have to check my plugs to see how they look after this amount of miles and see how the engine runs.

4. I still have this deep rolling noise when driving over 60 miles. I've already checked the wheels on a balancing machine. Nothing uncommon...but watching the tire on it, it seems that the tire has a dent on tread.

5. I think my C6 loose some oil...sometimes I have a small Spot under the car in height of the gearbox...don't know from where it comes...but the spot is not as big at all...

So next part I'll work in will be the center console with integrated subwoofer. I'll post some images here to keep you up to date.

If someone has any comments to the first listen technical things, I'll be thankful.

Glad your holiday went so well! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the oil spot, it isn't unusual for a rear main seal leak on the engine to drip off of the transmission at the torque converter. So it might not be the transmission itself that is leaking. And it isn't too unusual for a rear main seal to drip a bit now and then. Big Blue's does from time to time.

On the noise, I can't imagine what it is, but doubt that a dent in the tire would do that. Are you sure your front hubs are unlocked?

And I'm looking forward to seeing what you are going to do on the subwoofer. :nabble_smiley_good:

On your noise, have you checked the front wheel bearings?

My 92 Bronco was making a noise at speed and I cleaned, inspected and repacked the front bearings twice.

Finally replaced the bearings and races and used some good old NLGI #2 grease and it solved the issue.

Glad your holiday went so well! :nabble_anim_claps:

On the oil spot, it isn't unusual for a rear main seal leak on the engine to drip off of the transmission at the torque converter. So it might not be the transmission itself that is leaking. And it isn't too unusual for a rear main seal to drip a bit now and then. Big Blue's does from time to time.

On the noise, I can't imagine what it is, but doubt that a dent in the tire would do that. Are you sure your front hubs are unlocked?

And I'm looking forward to seeing what you are going to do on the subwoofer. :nabble_smiley_good:

Hi Gary,

thanks!

I think the spot is more to the back, under the bridge of the gearbox. The seals of the engine are all new. On the gearbox I only have changed the pan gasket when changing the pan itself. The distribution gearbox seems to be dry.

I'll try to record the sound by laying the mobile on the floor and apply a high-cut filter. This may work.

Yes, the hubs are unlocked. I also have to check if the other noise is still there, when they are locked...I have had made an oil-change before the holidays.

I'll post photos ar the weekend. The sound is really good. Needs to be fine-tuned, but already a very good sound.

On your noise, have you checked the front wheel bearings?

My 92 Bronco was making a noise at speed and I cleaned, inspected and repacked the front bearings twice.

Finally replaced the bearings and races and used some good old NLGI #2 grease and it solved the issue.

Hi grumpin,

No, I haven't. But I should do this. The sound won't come up when driving curves. Only at higher speeds on straights. I have to hear, if it also comes up when rolling or only when applying torque. But I think it's also there when rolling.